GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models
View Poll Results: KDSS?
Yes
60.87%
No
39.13%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

GX470 with or without KDSS

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-16, 01:34 AM
TheeAntic
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GX470 with or without KDSS

I am in the market for a low mileage (50-70k) GX470.I have heard a lot about KDSS and I wanted to know how much of a difference it really makes. There are many clean, low mileage GX470's but very few with KDSS. The ones that do don't fit my other criteria (color, high mileage etc).

My ex had a 2006 4Runner that had a ton of body roll, I feel like with the GX being taller it would be even worse. So my question is, is KDSS worth it? I could buy a non-KDSS GX and upgrade to some Bilstein 5100's and poly swaybar bushings..but I don't know if that would make enough of a difference. I'm not looking for a corner carving X5 rival..just something that doesn't feel like its about to tip over when taking a corner at speed.

Also..I'm curious. How well does the V8 pull a GX? Does it have that "power on tap" feeling or does it just feel average?

Thanks in advance guys, I look forward to being a member here. - Brian
Old 08-16-16, 07:11 AM
mustangpro
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Greetings from another NC native! My 05 GX Sport has KDSS. Honestly I don't like it.

I also have an 05 V8 4runner SR5 with standard suspension, so I have a good method of comparison. I've taken both offroad, and indeed the KDSS offers more suspension travel. Both both vehicles made it over the same obstacles with little trouble. On road I feel the adjustable shocks offer more suspension stability than the KDSS. The GX handles well considering it's weight, the only fair test is too compare it to a non KDSS GX. Our 4Runner handles better and feels "lighter" on the twisties.

The biggest beef I have with the KDSS is that the system is always in the way when changing the oil filter, or any front suspension area mechanical work. As a matter of fact the system is on my list to remove once I refurb my suspension.

As far as power is concerned, the GX feels like it has more get up and go compared to my 4Runner. I've surprised many a BMW off the line in traffic.
Old 08-16-16, 09:40 AM
degmla
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I guess your answer wouldn't be complete without a dissenting opinion, right? I absolutely love my KDSS.

I am not a truck person. Thus, I HATE driving my wife's LX. I usually take the first turn too fast, with that dreaded feeling of rolling. When we purchased the LX, we also drove the GX. The comfort level of the LX is night/day better compared to the GX.

When I needed a separate tow vehicle from my wife, I did not want another LX. For me, comfort was not as important as "sporty" (as much as I could get without going the BMW route). I test drove a 2006 GX without KDSS and a 2005 GX with KDSS. I noticed a huge difference. I always thought KDSS was an added "off-road" benefit, which was not that important to me. However, it seemed to really shine on-road. The truck still feels trucky, but I have been able to take turns much faster than I thought. The body roll is minimal at best. This is important to me. Not that I plan to run my GX through a slalom. Instead, it's just the driving experience. Limited body roll is simply much more enjoyable to me.

Also, you have to consider, some form of KDSS was made standard on later model Lexus/Toyota SUV vehicles. I doubt that would have happened if the system had nil effect on performance and/or safety.
Old 08-16-16, 09:42 AM
180ls1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Drive both and see what you like. Also this same engine/trans was rated to tow 7,200lbs in the tundra (possibly more) so they have plenty of pull but its not super peppy. Sounds like an RX400H may be a good option for you as well. The electric torque is awesome for instant power and it drives more like a car in the corners.
Old 08-16-16, 12:23 PM
TheeAntic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mustangpro
The GX handles well considering it's weight, the only fair test is too compare it to a non KDSS GX. Our 4Runner handles better and feels "lighter" on the twisties.
I feel like this might be an unfair comparison being that they are two very different cars, both in size and weight.

Originally Posted by degmla
The truck still feels trucky, but I have been able to take turns much faster than I thought. The body roll is minimal at best. This is important to me.
This is important to me too. Unfortunately they are extremely hard to find.

I'm about to cave and just buy a turbo X5 and throw some A/T tires on it. They are more than plentiful, fast, can tow 6500lbs which is more than enough and handle great. The only downside is they are a little smaller and not really meant for off road..decisions decisions

P.s. I don't fit in a 4runner which is why I am defaulting to the X5
Old 08-16-16, 12:56 PM
degmla
Driver

Turbo X5 is really nice. But, as you can tell from my signature, I like 10+ year old cars. I can't bring myself to chance a 10 year old BMW unless I planned on towing it to the track for race day (e.g., a weekend sprinter). I have BMW friends that have too many stories that I don't want to deal with, but they do love their BMWs. For day in and day out driving, I have trouble beating older Lexuses. I think they are easy to work on, their "problem areas" are fewer and far between, and I am very satisfied.

KDSS's are hard to find. I wanted a 2005 or newer (wanted the higher hp engine), blue, gray interior, navigation. I got lucky and found one locally. I actually bought one that was in a little rougher shape than I wanted, but when you buy harder-to-find used cars that fit your wish combination, you realize it's easier to buy $20 worth of fender clips to reattach the fender flares than to patiently wait for another to possibly come along. Plus, I could tell the dealer couldn't spell KDSS, so there was no premium on the price. So I felt I got a deal.

Good luck!
Old 08-16-16, 01:01 PM
TheeAntic
Driver School Candidate

You're absolutely right. My current project car is a 98 M3 with a 6.0 LSx. My entire reason for a second vehicle is to be able to tow the M3 to VIR. That and the ability to go anywhere/do truck things.

It has to be a gx470. It is the perfect truck for me, checks all of the boxes. I am just doubtful that I will find the one I am looking for.
Old 08-16-16, 06:34 PM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Vir is awesome. Even better in a fast M3
Old 08-17-16, 08:27 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 746 Likes on 610 Posts

Did it in a Cooper S, during the lunch "parade lap" they had during a race. Fun course, other than I wasn't allowed to pass the guy in the Supra ahead of me who couldn't corner.

Chip H.
Old 08-17-16, 08:39 PM
co4wheel
Pole Position

You should just drive both and decide. The poll is meaningless as it's other opinions not yours.

You couldn't get me to spend my good money on a older X5 turbo. I would do a Land Cruiser/LX/GX any day of the week. I would look at a 200 Series of some sort. Trucks are not meant to be sporty. The X5 is not a truck. It's a gussied up SUV. It's not a truck. Not even close. BUT, the world at large says I am wrong. They buy X5's, RX's, Highlanders, ML's, etc. Not trucks. Even the Porsche will tow a decent amount with the V6. It's not a truck either. It's not fast with the smaller V6. But it will do it. My buddy tows his Cobra with one. I would be getting a LX570 in a heartbeat. Nice engine (no turbo thank you very much). Toyota parts, Nice interior, Meant for towing. Not complicated. The 200 series has KDDS as well if you want it. That my friend is a total win.
Old 08-18-16, 06:31 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 746 Likes on 610 Posts

The first generation ML was body-on-frame (I had one). The 4WD system was good, but suspension options were very very limited. And of course, it was the least-reliable vehicle MB had built to-date (something went wrong on mine every 8.5 weeks on average).

Some of the unibody SUVs are quite good (Grand Cherokee), but the X5 should never leave pavement. I have a friend who worked for a short while at a supplier to the X5 production line in Spartanburg, and based on what he told me, you should not buy a used 1st gen X5.

Chip H.
Old 08-18-16, 06:42 AM
TheeAntic
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys, I am sticking to my guns and looking for a GX470. It's looking like I'll have to deal with a non-KDSS model and make up for it with an aftermarket suspension set-up from Icon or Radflo.
Old 08-18-16, 12:53 PM
180ls1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheeAntic
Thanks guys, I am sticking to my guns and looking for a GX470. It's looking like I'll have to deal with a non-KDSS model and make up for it with an aftermarket suspension set-up from Icon or Radflo.
I think thats a good choice. Even with KDSS you are still dealing with a luxurious, body on frame SUV, with a high center of gravity and excellent off-road capability. You are going to have to compromise some of that if you want something better in the corners.
Old 08-18-16, 03:07 PM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Have you guys saying GX even driven the 200? It's a league above in comfort and power. Its a vastly superior tow vehicle to a GX. Not even in the same league. Why would you mod a GX. Save the money on mods and buy the vastly superior tow vehicle with the difference. Even the newer Sequoia with the 5.7 would be better for towing and sportier then a modded GX .
Old 08-18-16, 03:17 PM
degmla
Driver

Have you guys saying GX even driven the 200? It's a league above in comfort and power. Its a vastly superior tow vehicle to a GX. Not even in the same league. Why would you mod a GX. Save the money on mods and buy the vastly superior tow vehicle with the difference.
It's also in a different price league. 200 series (aka 2008+ LX570) are still way over $30k. A nice GX is $15k.

Quick Reply: GX470 with or without KDSS