GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Potential Stereo Upgrade ?'s (non-nav)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-18, 08:49 PM
SciFctn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a search and this looks like the best & most current thread on this topic for us non-nav owners. Let's keep it going

I'm Curious has anyone tried the focal speakers mentioned in the first post? They look nice.

Can anyone answer the midrange speaker question? " Do I need to replace the factory mids, or can I eliminate these? "

OP, how'd it go with those harnesses?
Old 02-07-18, 09:52 PM
LoneHiker
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't think the focal integration speakers are any match for the Infinity Kappa 60.11CS, and right now they're both around the same price, the infinity's used to cost a lot more. Sure you have to buy or make an adapter but it would be worth the effort. My Dodge truck uses the 6x9's in the doors as well, and I chose the Kappa 60.11CS over the Focals and made an adapter out of Luan. Driven with an Alpine amp at 2 ohms the sound is phenomenal.

I'm not completely sure the Kappas will clear the window track and such, so you'd want to check that before deciding. On my Dodge there was plenty of clearance.

You can just disconnect the midrange speakers, no need for them.
Old 02-07-18, 10:46 PM
SciFctn
Driver School Candidate

are you talking about using the Kappa 60.11cs in place of the 6x9s? I'd think you'd lose a good bit of bass from doing that, no?
Old 02-07-18, 11:24 PM
SciFctn
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone upgraded the stock 6.5" sub in the back panel? I was planning on getting a JL microsub or maybe a 10" box under the passenger seat, but I'm curious about trying an upgraded 6.5 in the stock location.
Old 02-08-18, 09:11 AM
LoganP6901
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered the Pioneer AVH-2330NEX from Crutchfield with the accompanying harness to keep the stock speakers, amp, sub, etc. and a back-up camera (wired). I ordered the trim kit from eBay. It should all be sitting at my door when I get home from work, so this afternoon should be fun.

OP did you have any issues with the install I need to prep for?
Old 02-08-18, 09:30 AM
LoneHiker
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SciFctn
are you talking about using the Kappa 60.11cs in place of the 6x9s? I'd think you'd lose a good bit of bass from doing that, no?
I guess you're referring to the slightly smaller surface area of the 6 3/4" Kappa vs the 6x9 Focal. The Kappa is in a completely different league than the Focal Integration stuff. The voice coil and magnet assembly are immense in comparison to the Focal's. Better components throughout provide much better excursion and power handling. So no, the Focal 6x9's are nothing in comparison. Of course Focal makes some of the best sounding car audio stuff out there, but the Integration series is all about compromise to fit in factory spaces at a low cost, so it doesn't compare to their real stuff.

If the Kappas will fit and you don't mind the little bit of custom work making or buying an adapter, they are going to sound better.
Old 02-08-18, 11:39 AM
inovashn
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 22 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...placement.html

check this out if you want a 2nd thread
Old 02-08-18, 12:17 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by yackowski
I am planning to upgrade the stereo at some point and have a few questions about potential options. The list below is what I am kind of thinking I'll do, along with some options that I hope you guys can help me sort out or provide other suggestions.

Stereo
Something with Apple Carplay

Dash Kit Options
Beat Sonic
Ebay BS Knockoff

Wiring Harness Options
Beat Sonic SLA-Kit
Metra
PAC
Access

Front Door
Focal ISS 690 (5-80w)
6x9 Component

Mid Range
Do I need to replace the factory mids, or can I eliminate these?

Rear Door
Focal ISC 165 (5-70w)
6 3/4 2-Way

Subwoofer
I guess I will have to trim the factory box to accept a 6 1/2" sub. It looks like most of the options list 150W RMS.
I really wish we had the 8" 4runner option! I have searched until the end of the internet for a simple swap to make 8" happen in the factory location, but have not had any luck.

Amplifier (4ohm) Options
I feel like my options are really limited here as well by utilizing the small factory subwoofer location.
RE Audio (63wx4)(180x1)
RF Punch (75x4)(200x1)

Amp Wiring
Is the factory wiring acceptable or should I go ahead and at least run a new, larger 12V?

Anyway, what are your thoughts? Any pointers you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Cole
Common mistake is neglecting speakers. You can install better amp, better tuner, etc., etc. If speakers are not matched to the system, all is naught. When I set up a system for home or vehicles, almost half the budget goes to speakers. In another word, good speakers can cover the short comings of drivers, not the other way around.
Old 02-11-18, 09:57 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 746 Likes on 610 Posts

Agree. Speaker choice makes the most significant portion of how a system sounds. Spend the largest percentage of your budget on them, and spend a lot of time making sure their "sound" matches each other, and what kind of music you listen to.

Chip H.
Old 02-13-18, 11:09 PM
SciFctn
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone mounted component speakers? We're you able to fit the tweeters in the stock location?
Old 02-14-18, 04:44 AM
inovashn
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by scifctn
has anyone mounted component speakers? We're you able to fit the tweeters in the stock location?
yeah the type s alpines fit perfect with one of those self adhesive felt pads on the back to keep them tight so no rattling
Old 08-12-18, 01:05 AM
patjza80
Driver School Candidate

Ok so stupid question guys... If I have a non nav / Non mark lev GX.. do I still have a OEM amp?

I'm trying to figure out exactly what I need to install.

I've got the trim piece and headunit. Do I need just a harness? Or if I do have a OEM amp, how do I connect it to the new head unit?

Sorry guys, I can turn a wrench, but I'm stereo dumb!
Old 08-12-18, 06:19 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Upgrading speakers is first thing to consider to improve sound quality, IMO.
Old 08-12-18, 09:42 AM
LoneHiker
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by patjza80
Ok so stupid question guys... If I have a non nav / Non mark lev GX.. do I still have a OEM amp?

I'm trying to figure out exactly what I need to install.

I've got the trim piece and headunit. Do I need just a harness? Or if I do have a OEM amp, how do I connect it to the new head unit?

Sorry guys, I can turn a wrench, but I'm stereo dumb!
Yes there is a factory amp under the driver's seat, even on the non-Nav GX's. You can either completely bypass the factory amp by running new speaker wire and installing new speakers, or you can use an expensive adapter like this one:
Beat Sonic SLA-81AD
I'm not an expert on the non-Nav wiring, so there may be a cheaper adapter available or you may be able to cobble your own adapter together.

For those of us WITH factory navigation, I stumbled on a new product that might just be the solution many of us have been waiting for:
Beat Sonic MVA-81