GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Looking for a GX, question about wood color

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-16 | 10:13 AM
maxse
Pit Crew

Default Looking for a GX, question about wood color

Hi guys,

I've been a long time member and mostly read. You guys helped me pick out a nice SC430 many years ago for my parents, which is still amazing to this day (2006). I'm hoping you could help me get a car for myself also. I need a daily driver for my commute which is 50 miles/day. Obviously need something reliable and comfortable, and that can get through NY winters. I would like to spend $15,000 for this. Seems like this truck is bulletproof, but I need some help. All of them have air suspension right? I remember reading that spring are better because the air will eventually leak and will be costly to replace. Especially since I'll be getting an older high mileage car.

Now also, I just really dislike the yellow type of wood! It seems it's all yellow except for the 2008-2009 model years! Is that correct? Is this something that's an easy thing to change? The darker reddish wood that I'm seeing in photos of the 08-09 models is just so much nicer and more elegant. But then that puts me out of the $15,000 budget if I have to get an '08..

Lastly, if I end up getting an '04-'05, can I realistically expect to get 5 more reliable years out of it with the mileage that I will be driving?

Any tips, suggestions, pointers?
Old 10-25-16 | 02:05 PM
devmang
Driver School Candidate

I purchased an 04 just last week, black with a blue gray interior. I wouldn't refer to the wood grain as being yellow, it's more of a reddish brown and looks great. Others I have looked at seemed to have the same color wood grain as well. I'll let others weigh in about your other concerns but from what I have been reading the air suspension can be a little costly to replace and many seem to convert over to standard shocks when the air bags fail.
The overall consensus seems to be that if you perform the basic routine maintenance, oil changes fluid changes etc... as well as replacing the timing belt as required it's not unusual for these trucks to go 200k+
If your patient you should be able to find an 04 or 05 with under 100k well within your price range. I got mine for 13k out the door with 85k miles on it and is in great condition. Right after I bought it someone the next town over was selling a white 04 with 75k for about 12k and seemed to be in very nice condition as well but I prefer the blue gray interior to the beige. they are out there if your just patient. Good luck
Old 10-25-16 | 07:47 PM
burtoncr
Rookie

03-07 have the same, lighter brown wood color
08-09 have a darker more red brown wood color
Sport package has black maple wood color - not easy to find this option

We bought our 2008 two years ago for $18k with 103k miles. You could probably get one pretty close to $15k now.

Another option would be to have the wood pieces wrapped in a color 3M vinyl (silver, black?). I don't think that would cost very much.
Old 10-25-16 | 08:19 PM
maxse
Pit Crew

Thank you, the Steering wheel would still look wierd though. Whatever, it is not a deal breaker I guess.

So when the air suspension goes out, what am I looking at spending to convert over to standard shocks? Also, I'm not very handy when it comes to cars, so I can't do this myself, and I'm assuming they won't do this at the dealership (and it would be very expensive even if they did anyway). So what would be my plan of action at that point? How will I switch the system over?

Also, what are you guys using for bluetooth to be able to use your phone hands-free? I don't think the 05 have that option... Are you guys that got the non-navi version putting in aftermarket radios with this feature? Is it easy for shop to install a mic and backup cameras?

Thanks so much in advance
Old 10-25-16 | 08:21 PM
maxse
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by burtoncr
03-07 have the same, lighter brown wood color
08-09 have a darker more red brown wood color
Sport package has black maple wood color - not easy to find this option

We bought our 2008 two years ago for $18k with 103k miles. You could probably get one pretty close to $15k now.

Another option would be to have the wood pieces wrapped in a color 3M vinyl (silver, black?). I don't think that would cost very much.
Burtoncr, do you mind sharing what methods you used to locate your car? I feel like the only method I trust is autotrader and to avoid private dealers and to stick to big dealership or private sellers?
Old 10-26-16 | 10:25 AM
shadowmite
Driver

Keep in mind the KDSS/Sport models will give you the dark blackish wood. Might be worth considering. I love mine.
Old 10-28-16 | 12:59 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

I wrapped mine in 3M brushed aluminum and bought a black piano wood Prado 120 wheel.
No idea why pictures won't show up after the ios10 update on my phone.
Edit; I guess I figured it out.

Name:  647CF292-D859-48EF-9E3E-FA11055ADF78_zpse8gjyhbt.jpg
Views: 2390
Size:  255.4 KB

Last edited by BlackCat81; 10-28-16 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-29-16 | 01:05 AM
maxse
Pit Crew

Oh wow, nice! Is it straight forward to change the steering wheel yourself? I guess I can always find aftermarket wood kit to change the color elsewhere in the vehicle. I really like the would, would not want to wrap it in anything... Anyway, not a deal break but seems impossible to find a 2005 model without Navi and no ML package with reasonable miles and maintenance done.

I have a question. If the ML craps out on a Navi equipped car, is it still possible to ad an aftermarket stereo unit with carplay to it? I realize the screen would have to remain since climate control runs through out
Old 10-29-16 | 05:24 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by maxse
Oh wow, nice! Is it straight forward to change the steering wheel yourself? I guess I can always find aftermarket wood kit to change the color elsewhere in the vehicle. I really like the would, would not want to wrap it in anything... Anyway, not a deal break but seems impossible to find a 2005 model without Navi and no ML package with reasonable miles and maintenance done.

I have a question. If the ML craps out on a Navi equipped car, is it still possible to ad an aftermarket stereo unit with carplay to it? I realize the screen would have to remain since climate control runs through out
GROM Just came out with a product called the V-line which completely changes the factory Nav interface into much more updated system. It only works for 07-09's though. There's lots of options for GX's with Nav, just not for us 03-04 guys. There are even options now for replacement 8ohm ML speakers, which there never used to be.
Old 10-29-16 | 08:02 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by maxse

you can actually get wood grain wrap too, I just chose black brushed aluminum. The steering wheel is easy if you're familiar with disconnecting the airbag, everything transfers over just fine.

Name:  9A8223E0-BC76-4B39-992A-C41FC318143C_zpsksqzhnds.jpg
Views: 1008
Size:  204.2 KB
Old 10-30-16 | 02:27 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BlackCat81
you can actually get wood grain wrap too, I just chose black brushed aluminum. The steering wheel is easy if you're familiar with disconnecting the airbag, everything transfers over just fine.

That looks great!
Old 11-01-16 | 05:43 AM
chitown40
Rookie

Yeah I love the 3M wrap too. I have the sport package so I'm diggin' my interior already, but when it wears down or when it's time for a refresh, I'm going 3M.
Old 11-01-16 | 10:10 PM
maxse
Pit Crew

To each his own I guess, but the 3M just doesn't look like real wood at all to me and is not as luxurious looking. The good news is the wood color os growing on me. I'm just having a hard time find a non-nav GX460 2004-2005 models. I'm a bit skeptical of buying from 3rd party dealers...
Old 11-02-16 | 11:18 AM
rantoine71
Driver School Candidate

I got a 2009 with the darker wood I preferred that over the lighter color wood on a 2007 that I was looking at, but its the same truck in the long run so it really didnt matter
Old 11-03-16 | 08:18 AM
NvrSumR
Driver School Candidate

Too bad this one is in Colorado. https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...7178/overview/

Quick Reply: Looking for a GX, question about wood color