GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Suspension issues PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-16 | 03:45 PM
lexusgxman
Driver School Candidate

Default Suspension issues PLEASE HELP

I made a post a while back about my 08 GX and how it rides terribly, I adjusted the tire pressure according to the proper recommended pressure and the car still rides horribly, like I mean really bad, I don't like driving the car because I spend my entire time behind the wheel cringing, it handles horribly (doesn't have KDSS, so I somewhat understand why it rolls so badly). Now to make matters worse, the suspension makes the worst noises when driving, clunks galore. So can somebody please help me! I am getting pretty close to just dumping the car and I really don't want to. Thanks a bunch.
Old 11-05-16 | 04:10 PM
Barnesie
Driver

Probably the air suspension is toast and you are resting on the bump stops or the shocks are done. Look under the car and see if you can see the bump stops on the axle and take a look at the shocks and see if they are leaking. If you don't feel comfortable looking at all that I just mentioned then take it to a shop. How many miles?
Old 11-05-16 | 04:28 PM
lexusgxman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Barnesie
Probably the air suspension is toast and you are resting on the bump stops or the shocks are done. Look under the car and see if you can see the bump stops on the axle and take a look at the shocks and see if they are leaking. If you don't feel comfortable looking at all that I just mentioned then take it to a shop. How many miles?
I looked and the front end looks pretty good but the back is a different story, the bump stops look somewhat squished but not bad, I'm pretty confident its not the air suspension because it raises and lowers just fine and automatically adjusts itself (when people get in, groceries are added, and fuel is added) so thats working fine, but the shocks look rusted to hell, they're supposed to be black with a red painted ring around the bottom of them, they're completely orange and they flex when I push on them. There's 155,000 on the clock, this car is driven every single day from morning to night and never gets a rest and I really do love it and I know its built beautifully and is very reliable, I dumped over $4,000 into this truck earlier this year for the timing belt service (which includes other things), tires, and brakes and I don't want to get rid of it. So if it is the shocks (I plan on taking it to Lexus next week to see what they say), can I just go after market (I found that Bilstein's B6 will fit) because I don't feel like spending $500 bucks per shock at the rear (so about $1000) plus a ludicrous amount of money for installation. I just want that smooth ride back and better handling. Thanks for the help!
Old 11-05-16 | 06:54 PM
ALAN553
Racer

It's very possible there are small holes in the rear air bags too that only let air out when the bag deflates slightly allowing the hole to open up. Especially if those shocks are not working, those bags are filling and deflating way more than normally.

Last edited by ALAN553; 11-06-16 at 03:02 AM.
Old 11-05-16 | 08:56 PM
NTH
Instructor

Many options for shocks. You can go Bilstein, very popular. I went with 4Runner shocks. Nice and smooth.
Old 11-05-16 | 09:16 PM
Barnesie
Driver

Originally Posted by lexusgxman
I looked and the front end looks pretty good but the back is a different story, the bump stops look somewhat squished but not bad, I'm pretty confident its not the air suspension because it raises and lowers just fine and automatically adjusts itself (when people get in, groceries are added, and fuel is added) so thats working fine, but the shocks look rusted to hell, they're supposed to be black with a red painted ring around the bottom of them, they're completely orange and they flex when I push on them. There's 155,000 on the clock, this car is driven every single day from morning to night and never gets a rest and I really do love it and I know its built beautifully and is very reliable, I dumped over $4,000 into this truck earlier this year for the timing belt service (which includes other things), tires, and brakes and I don't want to get rid of it. So if it is the shocks (I plan on taking it to Lexus next week to see what they say), can I just go after market (I found that Bilstein's B6 will fit) because I don't feel like spending $500 bucks per shock at the rear (so about $1000) plus a ludicrous amount of money for installation. I just want that smooth ride back and better handling. Thanks for the help!
Sounds like the shocks are gone. You are going to spend a fortune for the Lexus shocks...it's going to be 4x500...2k to replace the front struts and rear shocks. Do a search and there are a lot of threads regarding the bilstein 5100 or 4600 model shocks and what models will work. You could also get the Toyota 4 runner shocks. Of course you will loose the electronic dampening of the Lexus shocks with any non Lexus option. Buy the schocks that will work and have an independent shop install them. At 155k miles then your shocks are most certainly worn out. Still might have a problem with the air suspension as stated by the above mentioned post.
Old 11-06-16 | 07:50 AM
BradTank
Racer

It's almost certainly the shocks/struts. If the rear air bags needed replacement, the car would be drooping in the rear by a significant amount.

I did a write up with how to put OEM Toyota 4Runner shocks in the rear, it's an easy job for most DIY'ers, easier than doing brakes, and the shocks were only like $80 for the pair. The electronic adjustment feature is largely a gimmick anyway, not worth the huge Lexus premium.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...lacements.html

FWIW, my GX is incredibly smooth with this setup, I also have an LS430 and the GX might even ride smoother then their flagship sedan. For the front, I put the Monroe Quick Struts for the 4Runner.
Old 11-06-16 | 08:21 AM
lexusgxman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Barnesie
Sounds like the shocks are gone. You are going to spend a fortune for the Lexus shocks...it's going to be 4x500...2k to replace the front struts and rear shocks. Do a search and there are a lot of threads regarding the bilstein 5100 or 4600 model shocks and what models will work. You could also get the Toyota 4 runner shocks. Of course you will loose the electronic dampening of the Lexus shocks with any non Lexus option. Buy the schocks that will work and have an independent shop install them. At 155k miles then your shocks are most certainly worn out. Still might have a problem with the air suspension as stated by the above mentioned post.
Thanks, that sounds like a good plan, I now just have to decide what shocks. Would you recommend Bilstein 100%?
Old 11-06-16 | 08:24 AM
lexusgxman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BradTank
It's almost certainly the shocks/struts. If the rear air bags needed replacement, the car would be drooping in the rear by a significant amount.

I did a write up with how to put OEM Toyota 4Runner shocks in the rear, it's an easy job for most DIY'ers, easier than doing brakes, and the shocks were only like $80 for the pair. The electronic adjustment feature is largely a gimmick anyway, not worth the huge Lexus premium.

FWIW, my GX is incredibly smooth with this setup, I also have an LS430 and the GX might even ride smoother then their flagship sedan. For the front, I put the Monroe Quick Struts for the 4Runner.
Sounds good I'll take a look thanks!
Old 11-06-16 | 08:35 AM
lexusgxman
Driver School Candidate

You know what, I'm gonna go with this because all I want is a smooth ride, and the fact that these are Toyota parts makes it even better and the price is perfect! You are right about the adaptive variable shocks, I screw around with the switch sometimes and you can't feel any difference. Do you think you could send me the link to these shocks and did you replace the front shocks?
Old 11-10-16 | 09:19 AM
mrcr0603
Driver School Candidate

Question: How did you determine which 4Runner struts to get? Did you match up the year model ('06 4Runner for '06 GX) or do something else to figure out which ones to get?

Thanks!
Old 11-10-16 | 10:01 AM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by mrcr0603
Question: How did you determine which 4Runner struts to get? Did you match up the year model ('06 4Runner for '06 GX) or do something else to figure out which ones to get?

Thanks!

So the Toyota part # I used was 48530-35082, you can see in the photo I took.

My understanding is that part number has been changed or updated, look deeper in the thread and I believe a poster brings that up. But I'm sure any Toyota dealer could figure it out with that number, it was for a 2004 Toyota 4Runner, but probably fits over several generations of that model. I believe they used the same sized rear shock from 2003-2009 for the 4Runner and my understanding is that same rear shock will work for every GX in the 2004-2009 GX.

But I am very happy with the setup I have, it drives MUCH better than it did, the original shocks were clapped out and it had a bouncy ride with a lot of body roll. I wanted the "softest" shocks I could find, it's my wife's SUV for carrying two young kids. At first, it was firm, but it softened up quite a bit and rides maybe even nicer than my LS430. Great handling also.
Old 11-10-16 | 05:30 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Keep in mind the GX is heavier than the 4Runner. It's not by a lot but a few hundred lbs. With that said, 4Runner shocks will probably feel amazing, but I'd imagine they won't last as long. When doing my airbag delete, I originally was going to use 4Runner springs, but the concensus was the great ride only lasted a very short time. Because of that, I used FJ springs, since it's weight is similar and they're a bit taller than runner springs.
Old 11-11-16 | 05:04 AM
NTH
Instructor

I also replaced my rear shocks this past summer with 4Runner shocks, and couldn't be happier with the price and the smooth ride. I've done about 10k miles since. The updated part number is 48530-80372

Last edited by NTH; 11-11-16 at 05:07 AM.
Old 11-11-16 | 08:40 AM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by BlackCat81
Keep in mind the GX is heavier than the 4Runner. It's not by a lot but a few hundred lbs. With that said, 4Runner shocks will probably feel amazing, but I'd imagine they won't last as long. When doing my airbag delete, I originally was going to use 4Runner springs, but the concensus was the great ride only lasted a very short time. Because of that, I used FJ springs, since it's weight is similar and they're a bit taller than runner springs.

The weight is not enough to significantly effect the life of the shocks or struts.

A GX470 weighs around 4,700 lbs and a Toyota 4Runner V8 is around 4,500 lbs.

It's basically the equivalent in weight of carrying an extra passenger in the front seat or a couple kids in the back.

Quick Reply: Suspension issues PLEASE HELP