GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Can't get video mode to work with RCA cables

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-16, 12:12 PM
ryanmcdoug
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't get video mode to work with RCA cables

Is anyone using RCA cables plugged into the rear entertainment system to play video? How do you get the system to turn on? I bought an HDMI to rca converter so I could plug a Chromecast into the factory system, and I can't get the video mode to turn on. I can play DVD's inserted directly into the overhead unit no problem, and my remote works, but I can't get the system to turn on when I push the video power button on the remote. Am I missing something? Just to make sure it wasn't a signal issue I plugged an old DVD player into the system with RCA's and that wouldn't work either, so I'm pretty sure it's not the input signal. I've got a long trip coming up for Thanksgiving and I need to figure this out before we leave for my child's and my sanity. HELP!!!
Old 11-14-16, 09:55 PM
LoneHiker
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

There are buttons on the remote for DVD and Video, you need to select Video to turn on the RCA inputs. If it doesn't work without a DVD, insert a DVD first just to turn the system on, then select Video.

A chromecast won't work though, it requires a wifi network/router with Internet access (unless you're planning to set all of that up).
Old 11-14-16, 10:11 PM
ryanmcdoug
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi lonehiker, thanks for the reply. I've tried pressing the video button on the remote while a DVD is playing and i still can't get it to switch to video mode. I really don't get it because everything else works fine. I'll not sure if I'm just missing something or if it's broken. Good tip about the Chromecast. Having never used one I assumed you could stream content to it if you paired it with your phone. It not I'll have to get an HDMI cable for my phone.