GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Best ON-ROAD Suspension Upgrade? (not OFFroad!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-21, 11:12 AM
arseum
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will have to check that calculation (is it tensile strength?), if I can find it, to see the difference. I know the strength is along the circumference and that it is greater than just a flat proportional total from the diameter/radius. Anybody have whichever calc I am thinking of?

Also, I read somewhere that someone in a GX thought the OEM was hollow, maybe their rear? It didnt feel hollow to me, but I am going to scientifically test it by banging it really hard with another chunk of metal, and I will report back my scientific results.
Old 01-29-21, 05:04 PM
CAGX70
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My factory rear sway bar was solid, not hollow, i chopped it up to get in the garbage can.

​​​
Old 03-31-21, 01:29 PM
CAGX70
Driver School Candidate

Arseum, how have the updates gone?
Old 03-31-21, 01:52 PM
arseum
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey CAGX70,

Only installed the rear swaybar and the rear endlinks. The drivetrain must be lowered for the swaybar install. And the passenger side tire well had to be massaged to be able to get access to tighten the top nut of the endlink. It was a great improvement! I developed a slight metal squeak; but turned out to be that I had lost the driver side endlink bottom washer and nut! It drove like a champ after I figured that out.

Thanks for the reminder; I need to put in the order with Apache Offroad and I will keep ya better up to date.

We pretty much lost a solid week here in Texas as our houses are not built to withstand Arctic Blasts. 2.5 hours in the attic beforehand fixed me up, but then it was days of helping buddies with their burst pipes, and about a week ago started to feel back to normal. If anyone is building a home soon, make sure your plumbing is PEX (thin red & blue tubing!
Old 03-31-21, 02:05 PM
CAGX70
Driver School Candidate

Well, glad you thawed out! It looked rough down there. Will be great to read your results to have a sample size of 2 for these types of improvements.
Old 04-15-21, 09:39 PM
Lexus4321
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by arseum
Chris,
That's pretty crazy that your shocks expired first. I thought the normal failure was air bags leak causing the shocks to overwork and then fail.
If the airbags leak you'll be riding on very not comfortable bump stops, with seat hitting you in the arss.

Old 05-11-21, 05:41 PM
jeffhammel
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My rear shocks failed as well as having a leak in the air system. Other than replacing the entire system and shocks with OEM or aftermarket equal, or going with the Bilstein 5100s, does anyone have any affordable suggestions for an on road with a decent ride?
Old 05-12-21, 06:36 AM
se7enine
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Arnott bags are probably the best OEM alternative. Still probably cheaper to upgrade to coilover and rear spring conversion than to keep replacing the OEM suspension.
Old 05-12-21, 09:56 AM
CAGX70
Driver School Candidate

Hi Jeff, i know this doesn't answer all your questions, but this is what i did and how much it cost for shocks only.
First I got all 4 Bilstein 5100 shocks shipped to me for about $380. Maybe you can get rear shocks only for now?
Rear shocks replaced at a local shop (labor $170) then a few weeks later the fronts (labor $200). Some shops wont put on customer parts.
In the front i kept my original spring. The great thing was no lights came on the dash when I went non stock.
To replace the air bags with springs, there are several spring and spring mounting options to investigate.
Good luck!
Old 05-12-21, 08:07 PM
jeffhammel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CAGX70
Hi Jeff, i know this doesn't answer all your questions, but this is what i did and how much it cost for shocks only.
First I got all 4 Bilstein 5100 shocks shipped to me for about $380. Maybe you can get rear shocks only for now?
Rear shocks replaced at a local shop (labor $170) then a few weeks later the fronts (labor $200). Some shops wont put on customer parts.
In the front i kept my original spring. The great thing was no lights came on the dash when I went non stock.
To replace the air bags with springs, there are several spring and spring mounting options to investigate.
Good luck!

Hey Cagx, thanks for sharing what you have done. $380 for the shocks isn't bad at all. How do the Bilsteins feel on the road in comparison to the OEM, I always consider them an off-road shock.
Old 05-12-21, 09:15 PM
CAGX70
Driver School Candidate

Hi Jeff, I used to drive my gx in the sport setting all the time. With the Bilstein, i don't miss the adjustments at all. I really like the way shocks feel. They are no stiffer than the sport setting, maybe the same and definitely don't turn the car into some jello mobile. Just to be clear it was $380 for the parts. If you know what you're doing and have access tools, jacks and safe jack stands, I bet the rear shocks would be very simple since that is your immediate need.
I knew my oem shocks had to go when they were leaking oil. My airbags will be next, seems the truck is maybe....just maybe starting to sit low in mornings, but pumps back up if i cycle to the high setting.....for now!
Old 05-15-21, 02:56 AM
jeffhammel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CAGX70
Hi Jeff, I used to drive my gx in the sport setting all the time. With the Bilstein, i don't miss the adjustments at all. I really like the way shocks feel. They are no stiffer than the sport setting, maybe the same and definitely don't turn the car into some jello mobile. Just to be clear it was $380 for the parts. If you know what you're doing and have access tools, jacks and safe jack stands, I bet the rear shocks would be very simple since that is your immediate need.
I knew my oem shocks had to go when they were leaking oil. My airbags will be next, seems the truck is maybe....just maybe starting to sit low in mornings, but pumps back up if i cycle to the high setting.....for now!
Thanks Cagx, I like the tight feel of sport mode so maybe the Bilsteins are the way to go. My GX definitely has a saggy butt in the morning unless I remember to pump it up before I get out of it the night before. There is an issue of some type with the air bags, most likely a crack in one of the bags that as long as it is full doesn't leak, but in a partially low position does. I want to fix this and like you have an issue with the shocks themselves. The rears have definitely leaked fluid and bounce a bit. Will those 5100s accept coilover springs do you know?
Old 05-15-21, 03:18 PM
CAGX70
Driver School Candidate

You can do this step by step and if handy the rear shocks yourself. Plenty of videos out there. The front looks a lot more complicated, beyond my ability. Going step by step made me fell like I was able to keep costs reasonable.
the rear shocks are not contained in a coilovers. So you can just do the shock.
When you decide you have had it with the airbags you can ditch them and put in springs on the rear axel. There are lots of options for switching to springs and I am already planning on it.
the fronts are coilovers and I just had the Bilstein put in place of oen shock. 1 notch from bottom (front Bilstein is "adjustable" upon installation).

Rear

Front
Old 05-17-21, 04:29 AM
asticot
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I just recently replaced my front shocks with Bilstein 4600 and reused OEM coilovers. The ability to adjust the stiffness is gone, but I find the truck rides about one notch below Sport Mode from a stiffness perspective.

for the rear I went with Luftmeister shocks. These are excellent and still allow for height adjustment. My airbags are still good so I didn’t want to do the conversion yet.

I do not plan to do any lifts or off-roading apart from gravel roads
Old 05-17-21, 09:27 AM
jeffhammel
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=CAGX70;11052494]You can do this step by step and if handy the rear shocks yourself. Plenty of videos out there. The front looks a lot more complicated, beyond my ability. Going step by step made me fell like I was able to keep costs reasonable.
the rear shocks are not contained in a coilovers. So you can just do the shock.
When you decide you have had it with the airbags you can ditch them and put in springs on the rear axel. There are lots of options for switching to springs and I am already planning on it.
the fronts are coilovers and I just had the Bilstein put in place of oen shock. 1 notch from bottom (front Bilstein is "adjustable" upon installation.......

Just curious Cagx, I see the electrical connectors that were on the OEM rear shocks hanging, did this cause you any issues or lights?

Quick Reply: Best ON-ROAD Suspension Upgrade? (not OFFroad!)