GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Looking to make the GX470 more capable in snow, suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-16, 12:47 PM
Listers
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Looking to make the GX470 more capable in snow, suggestions?

I bought my first GX470(or any Toyota) a month ago. The main problem is that I CAN'T lift the height of the vehicle since it barely fits in my garage, maybe only have an inch or two to play with. I need suggestions of how to better traverse the snow in the midwest plains during this season. My job is dependent on me getting to work when its snowing outside regardless of the condition of the roads and time of day. I was already planning A/T KO2s tires, but what else?
Old 12-30-16, 01:19 PM
Rz500
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Lifting your gx will do nothing for winter performance. If your main concern is snow don't buy an all terrain terrain tire. Buy a dedicated snow tire and perhaps go slightly narrower width than stock.
The following 3 users liked this post by Rz500:
BabyH (07-21-20), Rygar470 (01-02-19), Wizardry (12-26-18)
Old 12-30-16, 01:45 PM
Listers
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rz500
Lifting your gx will do nothing for winter performance. If your main concern is snow don't buy an all terrain terrain tire. Buy a dedicated snow tire and perhaps go slightly narrower width than stock.
Well I guess I should mention that I also need to drive on the highway to get to work the rest of the year and dont want the cost of a 2nd set of tires, but it is a good suggestion thank you
Old 12-30-16, 01:50 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Rz500
http://www.vredestein.com/car-tyres/...xtreme-s/info/

once you have done a true winter tire on the truck you will be hooked....besides this tire handles great in the cold and dry.
Old 12-30-16, 09:06 PM
chitown40
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm the same boat as you; need to get to work in all conditions and am 100% against going with a second set of tires for the snow. I'm in a 2009 GX, stock height.

I've had many 4x4 vehicles, lifted and not, over the years. All of them with all-terrain tires. The best all-terrains I've had so far in any condition is the Cooper Discoverer AT/3 tire. The last few snows and a recent ice storm sealed the deal for me. They stick very well in almost all conditions, and are quiet on the highway. They also cost about $70 less per tire than BFG. (By the way, I've had BFGs in the past and I don't think they're all that people say they are.) I had a set of Goodyear MTRs before that were great in snow AFTER I had them siped. But, those cost a fortune and I'm not necessarily recommending them. I just got a steal of a deal on them back in the day and the siping made 100% difference in their winter performance.

Anyway, I digress. I'm a firefighter and on the road traveling to/from work in all conditions. No snow days for us. I trust my GX (and every other Toyota I've owned) and I absolutely will be buying the Cooper AT/3's again unless they come out with the AT/4's before I need tires again.
Old 12-31-16, 11:29 AM
LoneHiker
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Take everyone's advice for what it's worth....

I have lived at 9,240ft. elevation for 12 years and have 3 vehicles that need to be able to get around in massive snowfalls. My family drives a lot of miles and we go through tires. I have had EVERY all terrain and/or winter tire you can think of.

Your situation is similar to mine, where you want a year-round tire that allows your GX to handle fantastic in any kind of snow and ice. There is only one tire out there what will give you the results you are looking for, the Goodyear Duratrac. I've been through all of them, and no other all season tire gives you the capability of a true snow tire. The second best would be the Goodrich All-Terrain T/A, but the Duratracs are astronomically better than those.

I know you are looking for general recommendations on how to make your truck behave better in snow, but Duratracs are the single best thing you can do. You can plow through 2 feet of snow easily with them without getting high-centered, no lift needed. They are awesome on ice as well, about the same as a dedicated studless snow tire like the Blizzak WS80.

You can get Duratracs in 2 sizes for the GX. The ones I run are the stock size P265/65r17 which are a load range C tire. You can also get them in a LT265/70r17 size which is a load range E tire. The 70 series tire will give you a small amount of lift due to the larger tire diameter.

If you find that you need even more ability than you can get with tires alone, the next step would be to add a locking rear differential. You can search for posts of others who have done it to get an idea of what's involved with that.
The following 2 users liked this post by LoneHiker:
BabyH (07-21-20), Tieguy77 (11-09-19)
Old 12-31-16, 02:47 PM
Rz500
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll chime in again and second the opinion that the good years are the best all terrain tire in the snow. I run a 285/70/17 and they are unstoppable in snow. They just don't do as well on ice or slippery conditions as a dedicated snow tire does. Snow tires are made from an extremely soft compound with lots of sipes. The dura tracs are not as soft of a compound as a snow tire. I don't practice what I preach with my truck as I run my Goodyears all year round. If conditions are that bad i have the luxury to just stay home. For those that don't have that option I still recommend a dedicated set of snow tires. The cost is marginally more than just running one set of tires year round. Either way your putting miles on a set of tires.
Old 12-31-16, 02:51 PM
Listers
Rookie

Thanks, and good looking GX Rz500
Old 12-31-16, 05:50 PM
180ls1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want to lift it then simply take your roof rack off that will free up a few inches.
Old 01-01-17, 12:52 AM
NMBruce
Rookie

I have used Duratracs on a JKUR and **** Cepek fun country on my GX470 during the winter, both are very good, I live in the mountains of CO at 7600ft. Just drove the Cepeks to Chicago the week before Christmas and they did great, but these tires are all season and will have their limits, like stoping distance.. My girlfriend uses Cooper AT3 on her GX460, also good, but none of these are anywhere close to a true snow tire. I have seen her push snow with her front bumper to just get out of the drive way and go through stuff that most people would not drive through with snow tires.

we keep snow tires on a second set of rims, I swap them out when needed, simple and easy.
Old 01-01-17, 07:22 AM
gnhumad
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BFG has updated their AT KO2 probably to compete with duratracs. See the tirerack ratings on snow performance. If you don't want a dedicated snow tire, I have owned duratracs and am now running the new KO2s. They are both good in snow and ice. The duratracs are noisier. 265/70/17 will fit on your stock truck with no street driving issues. They will only raise your truck about 1/2" and should avoid your garage clearance problems. In a pinch you could lower the air suspension a little to get in if needed.
Old 01-01-17, 08:56 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 524 Likes on 436 Posts

Another vote for Duratracs, they are by far the best non-dedicated winter tire I've ever used, I run them all year round on the wife's GX470 and my HDJ81 Land Cruiser. Good in heavy snow, great on packed snow/ice conditions. I've got over 70K kms (44K miles) on the set on our GX and they are still performing very well this winter! Confidence year round, and no storing and switching 2 sets of wheels/tires on each of our SUV's. When these wear out I'll be getting another set, although I'll be going back to stock sizing in hopes I'll realize a bit better fuel economy, and tow a bit better with the shorter gearing of stock size tires.
Old 01-01-17, 09:37 AM
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want real snow capabilities but do not want snow tires, get some tire chains. They'll get you where you need to go if the weather warrants it. The stock ground clearance is pretty good .. if you really think you need more clearance you could either lift it (roof rack suggestion is a good one) or modify the underbody bits like some of those off-road converted GXs. Don't think that's necessary though.

I bought these chains for my all season (stock sized) tires:

Security Chain Z-579 Z-Chain Extreme Performance Tire Chains (2 sets)
Old 01-03-17, 11:42 AM
LoneHiker
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 2008
If you want real snow capabilities but do not want snow tires, get some tire chains. They'll get you where you need to go if the weather warrants it. The stock ground clearance is pretty good .. if you really think you need more clearance you could either lift it (roof rack suggestion is a good one) or modify the underbody bits like some of those off-road converted GXs. Don't think that's necessary though.

I bought these chains for my all season (stock sized) tires:

Security Chain Z-579 Z-Chain Extreme Performance Tire Chains (2 sets)
That's true I carry chains in all my cars, but since my vehicles are all AWD or 4x4 I just carry the emergency strap chains rather than the regular ones. They are much easier to install and work fine for getting out of a jam. You don't really need anything more than that on these vehicles. I've gone winter 4x4 backcountry wheeling with my emergency chains with no problem.
Old 01-05-17, 08:25 PM
Goosed
Driver School Candidate

Default Hmmmm

i have got to be honest guys, I live in the snow belt and don't see issues with getting around in a GX with any tire. We have the crappy dunlops grandtreks on ours and they are fine since the AWD system is good on the GX.

Yes duratracs are ridiculous - this is the only tire that state trucks in Washington run over the pass from Seattle to Spokane. I ran a couple sets and they are by far the best all around tire for year round driving but really do shine in snow and heavy rain due to all the siping and interior lugs that help clear snow from the outer lugs

i have ran several tires too-

general grabber at2
bfg ko2
goodyear MTR k
Nitto terra grapplers
cooper at3
bfg long trail
bridgestone MTR
Duratracs
The following users liked this post:
Arailt (12-26-18)

Quick Reply: Looking to make the GX470 more capable in snow, suggestions?