GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Brake Problems. Dealer Liable?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-17, 01:44 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts

So their "solution" is to make slightly less profit on the part they were going to sell you anyway. The expensive part they very likely messed up.

I would take my car out there over the principle alone. Take it to a different shop that knows Toyotas (these cars are basically Toyota 4Runners that many places can work on) get an assessment from them and run down what happened. Maybe get them to write out their opinion if they believe it was the dealership's fault. they also might NOT think it was their fault, but it would be a good idea to get a 2nd opinion.

But as far as the repair goes, I would probably look at getting a used identical part from a reputable salvage yard, many of these places have a warranty. That could save quite a bit of money. But some shops won't install it.

And then you can take your case to small claims. They probably won't make a move until they actually are summoned to court, then they might try to settle or they might take their chances.

The whole process is going to be a headache and you probably won't ever feel good about the resolution. You'll just have to make the call if it's worth going through. I think it's the dealerships fault, but only you can make the personal decision if it's worth going through all of this to be made whole or just moving on.

I just attached a pic of a sample from one from a salvage yard, no idea if its a reputable place.
Attached Thumbnails Brake Problems. Dealer Liable?-screen-shot-2017-02-03-at-2.35.56-pm.png  
The following users liked this post:
bfizz (02-03-17)
Old 02-03-17, 03:43 PM
bfizz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BradTank... Thank you for your input, it has been valued and relied on much during this process. I think your plan of action is EXACTLY what I should do. Now I need to find a reliable/trustworthy repair shop to proceed with what you outlined, I am very tempted to go the eBay route, with the exact picture you posted. Realistically I'll probably only keep the car for another year or two so it will no longer be my problem.

I've been trying to find the contract when I originally dropped off the vehicle with language with language like "prevailing party gets attorney fees paid for" but I don't see anything at least on the receipts. As long as the only fee I have to pay is $65-$100 to file the claim, I'll probably proceed. Way too much upside to lay day easy now. Thanks again!
Old 02-04-17, 07:15 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Before you tell the dealer to pound sand and potentially cut off your nose to spite your face, call a couple of local indy shops and ask them for an estimate. Their estimate will include parts (likely a compatible aftermarket part) and labor (which will be substantially cheaper). Compare these quotes against what the dealer is offering you. If the estimates are comparable, I would recommend letting the dealer fix it, the repairs will be backed by a warranty. It is not worth the pain and aggravation of small claims court - you will lose - it's their expert testimony against yours', someone that lacks the technical expertise to effectively argue their side of the story and the burden of proof lies with you, not the dealer.

When all is said and done, leave the dealer and their service department a nasty online review, GM's hate those.

Just my $.02.

Last edited by cssnms; 02-04-17 at 07:54 AM.
Old 02-09-17, 07:28 PM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I been really busy and am just catching up on this! Did you pick up the vehicle? I owned a shop for 12 years, I know some of the laws and etc. So sorry for not posting sooner! I hate seeing this stuff!
Old 02-17-17, 03:53 PM
bfizz
Driver School Candidate

So I wound up taking it to a independent mechanic that specializes with toyota and lexus. They were able to improve my brakes by simply flushing my brakes and resetting the computer. They said they plugged the actuator into some power and got that to perform normally as well.

I'm beginning to forget what my original brake performance was like, but it sure feels better after getting the vehicle back this morning. $250 later here I am. I opened a claim with corporate lexus yesterday in preparation to go to small claims court. I left a one star google review as well this afternoon at the dealership. I fully expect to pursue Lexus now given my circumstances. It won't be for as much since I can only claim the $250 and $600 previously performed, but if I can get back $500 for my troubles, I'll be satisfied.
Old 02-17-17, 04:20 PM
maxx430
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Did the independent shop saying the MBC was causing problem?
Old 02-17-17, 04:45 PM
drowssap
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very cool.....Please keep us informed of the outcome
Old 02-17-17, 04:47 PM
bfizz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by maxx430
Did the independent shop saying the MBC was causing problem?
They did not, they said that the MBC was working properly. Is it possible that the MBC might be failing and no codes would be generated during a system scan?