GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Front Turn Signal Goes Out Constantly

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-17, 09:17 AM
GadgetRick
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Turn Signal Goes Out Constantly

Anyone else have problem with one of your front turn signals (amber) going out? It seems my front left lasts about 2 weeks each time I replace it before blowing out. Annoying as hell as it's a bit of a PITA to get up in there to swap it. Not to mention I'm sick of the fast flash for it being out!

Never had a vehicle where any bulb went out so often.
Old 01-22-17, 01:41 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by GadgetRick
Anyone else have problem with one of your front turn signals (amber) going out? It seems my front left lasts about 2 weeks each time I replace it before blowing out. Annoying as hell as it's a bit of a PITA to get up in there to swap it. Not to mention I'm sick of the fast flash for it being out!

Never had a vehicle where any bulb went out so often.
I have not had any issues myself I would make sure bulb fitment is tight and I would use dielectric grease to make better contact
Old 01-22-17, 04:33 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 744 Likes on 608 Posts

Check the socket for heat damage. Increased current because of a poor connection means the connectors get hot, and that transfers to the bulb.

Chip H.
Old 01-22-17, 11:03 PM
LoneHiker
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

The front turn signal sockets are prone to corrosion, which creates overheating and poor bulb life.
Old 01-23-17, 02:44 AM
GadgetRick
Driver

Question is, how do I get in there to check the connection? Do I have to remove the whole light assembly? No way to get in there from the back of it.
Old 01-23-17, 07:02 AM
daljones
Driver School Candidate

You can actually reach up from underneath. 3 bulbs and sockets are connected to one quick disconnect and the vehicle wiring harness.
Old 01-23-17, 08:32 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 121 Posts

Yes, mine had a lot of issues. Not every two weeks, but it seemed like every year or so I was replacing a front amber turn signal bulb.

One thing I did is turn off the daytime running lights that made the amber lights light up all the time, it's an option with the TechStream scanner software. I think that was really taking the life off of them, now mine only comes on when the turn signal is engaged.

Also, clean the bulb connection out with some contact cleaner and make sure the metal tabs are making good contact, sometimes they need to be "bent" outward to make better contact with tension. And put just a small amount of dialectric grease on it.

It's definitely an issue with this model, and I rarely every drive in bad weather or doing any real offroading, yet I was constantly replacing them.
Old 01-23-17, 11:02 AM
GadgetRick
Driver

Originally Posted by daljones
You can actually reach up from underneath. 3 bulbs and sockets are connected to one quick disconnect and the vehicle wiring harness.
I know that but you can't get in there to really see if there is corrosion.
Old 01-23-17, 11:03 AM
GadgetRick
Driver

Originally Posted by BradTank
Yes, mine had a lot of issues. Not every two weeks, but it seemed like every year or so I was replacing a front amber turn signal bulb.

One thing I did is turn off the daytime running lights that made the amber lights light up all the time, it's an option with the TechStream scanner software. I think that was really taking the life off of them, now mine only comes on when the turn signal is engaged.

Also, clean the bulb connection out with some contact cleaner and make sure the metal tabs are making good contact, sometimes they need to be "bent" outward to make better contact with tension. And put just a small amount of dialectric grease on it.

It's definitely an issue with this model, and I rarely every drive in bad weather or doing any real offroading, yet I was constantly replacing them.
How can I get in there to clean it? Do I have to remove the whole light housing? No way I can get up there from underneath.
Old 01-23-17, 11:14 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 744 Likes on 608 Posts

Try removing the battery.

Chip H.
Old 01-23-17, 11:30 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by GadgetRick
How can I get in there to clean it? Do I have to remove the whole light housing? No way I can get up there from underneath.

I guess use the same way you get access to it when you need to change the bulb.
I was able to access them by going underneath, it's not the easiest thing in the world, but it shouldn't be a problem.

Before I thought the only way was removing the car battery which just takes a lot longer, but that does give you better access.

I had to change mine so many times I got pretty good at changing them from underneath and could do it pretty quickly.
Old 01-23-17, 12:22 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 146 Posts

Changing it is easy, trying to clean it, you might have to go from the top and remove anything in your way. My front right only lasts about 2-3 years, maybe I make more right turns...
Old 01-23-17, 01:10 PM
GadgetRick
Driver

Originally Posted by BradTank
I guess use the same way you get access to it when you need to change the bulb.
I was able to access them by going underneath, it's not the easiest thing in the world, but it shouldn't be a problem.

Before I thought the only way was removing the car battery which just takes a lot longer, but that does give you better access.

I had to change mine so many times I got pretty good at changing them from underneath and could do it pretty quickly.
HA! No way I'd be able to fit up there. I can barely get my arm up there to grab it to change it.
Old 01-23-17, 01:11 PM
GadgetRick
Driver

Originally Posted by ALAN553
Changing it is easy, trying to clean it, you might have to go from the top and remove anything in your way. My front right only lasts about 2-3 years, maybe I make more right turns...
Only 2-3 years? LOL! I'm lucky if I get 2-3 months out of it.