GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Adding a second CD changer... there is a voice function for it

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-03, 06:31 PM
robinzon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding a second CD changer... there is a voice function for it

Hey all,

Well.... if any of you have noticed (and I am sure most have). When you say to the Nav system CD CHANGER ON... or ONE... it will indeed say CD changer ONE (yes one).... meaning that you can indeed say CD CHANGER TWO. That is, the system is cearly built to accomodate TWO cd changers (of course it will default to cd changer ONE as the second one is not present). What is my point? Did any attempt or ask around about connecting a second CD changer? I am only assuming that Pioneer manufactures the changers for lexus, though their current line up does not really look like the Lexus changer (though the pioneer CD cartridge does fit in the changer).... it would be sweet to be able to connect a second CD changer, esp the 12 disc one that Pioneer makes (for example) though a 6 disc Lexus will do just as well.

You guys think that lexus techs would know where to connect it to and what wiring to use? if there is indeed a wire for it?... clearly the system is built for one, hence I hope there is a second connector or perhaps they are to be daisy changed one to another?!?! As the cd changer is buried in the glove compartment I really do not feel like taking it out of there to check... so let me know if you have any info.
Then again, there is very little place to put the thing, not much room in the rear with the 3rd row seat and all.

thanks
Old 05-26-03, 09:16 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

This is a very good point! Waiting to see what the other responses are.

Sheldon.
Old 05-27-03, 12:16 PM
enjoygo
Driver School Candidate

This is very interesting. For me, I am not interested in hooking up another CD changer. What interests me is the possibility of connecting an iPod as "CD Changer Two". I don't know if there is RCA input or some connector behind the head-unit for Changer #2. I wonder what it would take to make the system be aware that CD Changer #2 is connected. It may most likely be some connector that provides power, controls, and audio inputs. Would the service manual have these information?

Ken
Old 05-27-03, 12:22 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Ken,

That's a very very good point! I actually never thought of that.

So how do we go about this. Do we need to find out:

- Is there the option for CD Changer #2?
- What type of connector or wiring harness is back there????
- OR, what type of connector is available in the back of the main Audio/Video console???

What else do we need to focus on? This is rather interesting.
Old 05-28-03, 07:16 AM
donaldak
Driver School Candidate

While I like the idea of having an iPOD hooked in, I didn't feel like doing all the exploring and popping panels. I elected to buy the iTRIP (see http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/itrip/ )which allows the iPOD to play through the radio. The kids can have it in the back seat and play with it too ( I can also move it between cars). I think it was about $40...much easier than popping panels etc. THe sound is pretty god too with no distortion or interference (but I am not an audiophile!).
Old 05-28-03, 10:23 AM
enjoygo
Driver School Candidate

Using miniature FM transmitter is a very practical way to use iPod in the car. I have considered this option but have heard bad reviews on other iPod FM transmitters. So far I have heard good things about iTrip. Do you know if iTrip software allows randomized song play within a playlist? How easy is it to use? Any bad things about it?

There is some news about a wireless remote for iPod at www.ipoding.com. It lists a German website: http://www.ulshofer.de/ipod-remote-eng.html

Now, using that along with iTrip and a steering wheel mounted IR remote would be nice.

Ken

Last edited by enjoygo; 05-28-03 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-28-03, 11:42 AM
robinzon
Driver

Using an FM transmitter is like playing a Tape in your CD player. It kills the sound... forget about the IPOD for a moment and concentrate on the issue at hand, which is the second CD changer... what is out there is a PIONEER MD changer, its really avaiable from Japan but is obtainable. If the cables being use are IPbus type cables (if the system is indeed pioneer) then connecting an MD or CD changer from Pioneer as a second changer is a breeze... otherwise I dunno what to say... if someone can find out or knows what kind of connector the changer is using it would be helpful.

thanks