GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Yellowing headlights on a 2005

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-17, 06:22 PM
MissPiggy
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yellowing headlights on a 2005

The headlights on our 2005 are starting to yellow and make the whole car look pretty dated even though everything else is in excellent shape. I would like to get them back to clear if possible without replacing the entire assembly.

Has anyone had lasting success with the wet sanding / polishing / sealing approach? I saw a number of posts about replacing the whole thing, but wonder if that is really needed or not? If anyone can please let me know if there are any steps that actually work in the long run before replacement I'd appreciate it.

The photos look a lot clearer than it actually does in person. They are actually pretty yellow.

Thank you!

Old 04-09-17, 08:46 PM
khoality
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've used this method on several of my vehicles and works good:

Hope this helps!
Old 04-10-17, 06:10 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 743 Likes on 607 Posts

I used the restoration kit you can buy at the auto parts store a couple of times - they worked for a few months, but then they got cloudy again.

I ended up replacing the lens assemblies. You can find Chinese clones on eBay, but they reportedly will sometimes leak. I bought OEM (three times the cost) from an online Lexus dealer and they've been perfect.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...eadlights.html

Chip H.
Old 04-10-17, 01:12 PM
dkpnkc
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just purchased the eBay ones. I've done it before on a previous Mercedes & yeah, they need a layer of clear caulk around the seams. After that I never had a problem. Fingers crossed... I found this thread after I ordered them - so I think I'm going to go ahead and try this after I swap them out. Who knows - I may have an extra decent set I can keep or sell...
Old 04-10-17, 01:56 PM
Organized Garage Status
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Reconditioning the lenses is one thing, and keeping them clean is another. We install a protective film in every headlight we service for a permanent solution to turning yellow and weathered. A lot of people spray clear coat, which is not what they use from the factory, and we already know how it ends up after a few years, so why use it again? We also take a step further by taking apart the headlights and cleaning the inside of the lens, which truly affects the light output especially with halogen powered headlights. The halogen gives out a soot from the heat it produces that sticks to the inside of the lens, and every person who have done lens restoration sees this afterwards when the outer surface is now clear.

The aftermarket headlights are not bad, but not all good as well. The problematic part in it is the projector assembly, which use very cheap materials and have the tendency to burn out the chrome reflector after a few months if not a year, which is why they strictly don't recommend upgrading those to HIDs because it wouldn't be able to withstand the heat at all. And the lenses on all aftermarket headlights are not even hard-coated from the factory so they have the tendency to turn yellow and weathered to within a few months of daily driving or a year.
Old 04-10-17, 03:13 PM
dkpnkc
Rookie

Originally Posted by Organized Garage Status
Reconditioning the lenses is one thing, and keeping them clean is another. We install a protective film in every headlight we service for a permanent solution to turning yellow and weathered. A lot of people spray clear coat, which is not what they use from the factory, and we already know how it ends up after a few years, so why use it again? We also take a step further by taking apart the headlights and cleaning the inside of the lens, which truly affects the light output especially with halogen powered headlights. The halogen gives out a soot from the heat it produces that sticks to the inside of the lens, and every person who have done lens restoration sees this afterwards when the outer surface is now clear.

The aftermarket headlights are not bad, but not all good as well. The problematic part in it is the projector assembly, which use very cheap materials and have the tendency to burn out the chrome reflector after a few months if not a year, which is why they strictly don't recommend upgrading those to HIDs because it wouldn't be able to withstand the heat at all. And the lenses on all aftermarket headlights are not even hard-coated from the factory so they have the tendency to turn yellow and weathered to within a few months of daily driving or a year.
I keep seeing these good posts after already ordering everything! Along with new/aftermarket headlights I also ordered the xenondepot.com kit along with some better 4300k H3's for the fogs. After reading this I will keep the OEM's in case (I guess "when, not if") I have a problem down the road. If you allow shipping of OEM headlights to you for restoration can you PM me the cost? Else I'm in Ontario, CA... Not sure where you're at in CA?
Old 04-10-17, 10:14 PM
Organized Garage Status
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

We're located in Carson, 90745 and work by appointment only for in-house service. Most of our clients are actually from the east-coast and receive headlights for service and custom work through mail. The GX470 headlights falls under Large size for our Permanent Restoration service: https://www.organizedgaragestatus.co...nt-restoration
Old 04-11-17, 08:15 AM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I used the Meguiars kit and it worked great, the headlights were HORRIBLE! I have done a few cars with that kit and the people were shocked! I was too the 1st time I ever did it a while ago. BUT I think someone already mentioned this, MAINTAINING! If you don't maintain, they will turn back to ugly. I just picked up a new kit I am going to try on Ma's car. Made by Sylvania, had good reviews, good guarantee I cant remember the amount of time, but if you don't do the restoration correctly and follow every single step they tell you to do and ,it will void it, its basically just a waste of ink on the papers, so I thought I would try something new. did my exe's Rav 4 which they were bad, really bad! SHe told me she kept checking to make sure her brights weren't on. A kit or service is obviously cheaper than a while new assembly, you just need to decide what option will work for you.
Old 04-11-17, 12:42 PM
LoneHiker
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Most of the restoration kits don't last. But the Sylvania kit uses a good quality UV Blocking clearcoat. Give the Sylvania kit a try before giving up on restoration kits. Did mine a year ago and still looks like new:
Amazon Amazon
Old 04-11-17, 01:12 PM
dkpnkc
Rookie

Mine aren't yellow as much as the clear coat is coming off. That's one thing I was thinking the way in the video could help - but now I'm considering using the sponsor to get the OEM's in shape after I swap them out with the aftermarket ones. Then I'll figure out if I want to swap the OEM's back & sell the aftermarket ones...