GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Need help on GX ac issue cold to warm and back

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-17 | 09:15 AM
foreste1
Pit Crew

Default Need help on GX ac issue cold to warm and back

I decided to make new thread so everybody does not need to read all my posts from yesterday as I discovered things:

03 GX when temp outside under about 90 degrees, a/c ice cold while idling, and while driving ice cold but notice slight warm air every few minutes and then back to cold while driving

Outside temp above 90 degrees, like last few days in Phoenix, ice cold at idle, but if stay parked for 5 minutes or so all of a sudden a rush of warm, musty air comes in through drivers, side, passenger side and rear air, and then once I move car just a little bit ice cold comes back

I ran diag and get codes 21, 24, 42 (air inlet damper control servo motor). I ran the 10 different a/c functions and all seem ok

I took out glove box and could see a white arm moving fine when i change from heat to cold, bit are there more of these and where? I read a post that said pull out air cabin filet and turn from hot to cold and see if a door opens and closes, going to do that this morning, had it all out yesterday but did not look for anything to open and close behind cabin filter, only saw an arm more towards center of car on left of glove box area moving fine.

I am down to feeling its either the air inlet servo motor (but wouldn't it get hot or cold on one side of car if it was one of those because I believe there could be one of each side of car (dual temp controls) and one for rear ac but it is throwing code 42?)
Or the a/c evap temp sensor, since it goes from cold to warm through all vents, but seems to only happen when outside temp gets up over 90 degrees or so and does it when idling too long and while driving slightly from cold to warm but mainly stays cold.
I have evac and recharged ac, shop said its right on where it should be and again it gets so cold some times even at idle but when outside temp is below 90 degrees
replaced condenser fan, did not need it though
temp on car runs at half, although I have seen it jump up when the hot air starts blowing, but rarely only when 115 degrees out and stuck in traffic but goes right down if I move car or rev

I need to know where the air inlet servo motors are located and how many I have, along with where this evap temp sensor is? DIY on these? I see lots of stuff for other Lexus models, but cannot find anything on GX, please help if you can, thanks!!
Old 05-07-17 | 12:25 PM
foreste1
Pit Crew

nobody has any ideas????
Old 05-12-17 | 05:59 AM
chetknox
Driver School Candidate

I am following this thread as I have the same problem as well. We have a 2003 GX470 that is exhibiting the following symptoms:
  • AC works intermittently
    • No noticeable patterns
  • Clicking noises, sometimes loud, underneath the dash
    • Not sure if this is only happening when I am switching between hot and cold.
  • When AC blows hot, it is humid and has sweet smell
This is only one day of monitoring symptoms.

Below is a video I was able to snap this morning of the noises. I apologize about the road noise. The loud clicks are coming from under the dash.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i6yf8efgs9...%20AM.mov?dl=0

EDIT:

I took my car to Lexus and while the car was in the parking lot, it popped a check engine. I headed over to Autozone where I found it had a P0117 code which means Ending Coolant Temp Sensor. I popped the hood to find pink antifreeze sprayed underneath the hood.

What are the chances this is related to my A/C issue?

I am having Lexus diagnose the issue. $135 for that.

EDIT 2:

Unbelievable. Lexus believes 100% that the radiator leaking is causing my cooling issue. $1100 to replace. I went back and watch the video and sure enough the engine temp was pegged! Why doesn't it give you a verbal queue to say "hey, your engine is hot".

Last edited by chetknox; 05-12-17 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-12-17 | 06:52 PM
foreste1
Pit Crew

Wow, my radiator and temp stays right at half. But if you were pegging red then yes it would cause your ac issue I think, different than mine. I am about to pay 175 to Lexus to diag, as I cant deal with it anymore, UGHHHH....
Old 05-13-17 | 05:08 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

The A/C compressor probably won't run when the coolant is over-temp (the additional load would cause the engine to overheat even faster).

Most likely you need a new radiator. $1100 is too much (should be in the $600 range), unless they identified other parts damaged by the overheat.

Chip H.
Old 05-15-17 | 06:03 AM
kwkshift
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by foreste1
I decided to make new thread so everybody does not need to read all my posts from yesterday as I discovered things:

03 GX when temp outside under about 90 degrees, a/c ice cold while idling, and while driving ice cold but notice slight warm air every few minutes and then back to cold while driving

Outside temp above 90 degrees, like last few days in Phoenix, ice cold at idle, but if stay parked for 5 minutes or so all of a sudden a rush of warm, musty air comes in through drivers, side, passenger side and rear air, and then once I move car just a little bit ice cold comes back

I ran diag and get codes 21, 24, 42 (air inlet damper control servo motor). I ran the 10 different a/c functions and all seem ok

I took out glove box and could see a white arm moving fine when i change from heat to cold, bit are there more of these and where? I read a post that said pull out air cabin filet and turn from hot to cold and see if a door opens and closes, going to do that this morning, had it all out yesterday but did not look for anything to open and close behind cabin filter, only saw an arm more towards center of car on left of glove box area moving fine.

I am down to feeling its either the air inlet servo motor (but wouldn't it get hot or cold on one side of car if it was one of those because I believe there could be one of each side of car (dual temp controls) and one for rear ac but it is throwing code 42?)
Or the a/c evap temp sensor, since it goes from cold to warm through all vents, but seems to only happen when outside temp gets up over 90 degrees or so and does it when idling too long and while driving slightly from cold to warm but mainly stays cold.
I have evac and recharged ac, shop said its right on where it should be and again it gets so cold some times even at idle but when outside temp is below 90 degrees
replaced condenser fan, did not need it though
temp on car runs at half, although I have seen it jump up when the hot air starts blowing, but rarely only when 115 degrees out and stuck in traffic but goes right down if I move car or rev

I need to know where the air inlet servo motors are located and how many I have, along with where this evap temp sensor is? DIY on these? I see lots of stuff for other Lexus models, but cannot find anything on GX, please help if you can, thanks!!
There are 3 or 4 servo motors for the hvac system. There is 1 or 2 of them on the drivers side of the hvac box. You'll have to remove the drivers side lower dash to see them. The evaporator temp sensor is attached to the evaporator, itself, which is a major thing to get to. Let's hope its not that!

Heres the link to my write-up on changing the evaporator:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/ac-...e-this.946711/

Have you checked to ensure the system is charged properly? Too much or too little refrigerant will do weird things.
Old 05-19-17 | 08:39 AM
foreste1
Pit Crew

Hi, I believe my freon is at proper level. I have been waiting for it to get above 90 outside, which should be this weekend to try and figure this out again. Will techstream tell me if I do have a servo motor bad and which one?
Otherwise I am going to pay Lexus to diag next week.