GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Where does this hose connect to?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-17 | 05:44 PM
khoality
Driver

Default Where does this hose connect to?

I just noticed this hose around the front driver side wheel. What is this hose for and where should it go to? Don't know how long it's been like this. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Where does this hose connect to?-img_3792.jpg  
Old 05-29-17 | 06:06 PM
MJG87
Driver

I'm not familiar with the vehicle, but usually if you get under it and move the hose around in every direction you will meet up with whatever it is supposed to be connected to somewhere nearby. Looks like it is sagging down from up higher behind the control arm. Any fluids leaking anywhere?
Old 05-29-17 | 08:22 PM
khoality
Driver

Originally Posted by MJG87
I'm not familiar with the vehicle, but usually if you get under it and move the hose around in every direction you will meet up with whatever it is supposed to be connected to somewhere nearby. Looks like it is sagging down from up higher behind the control arm. Any fluids leaking anywhere?
i haven't noticed any fluids leaking around there and I haven't had time to get under there to look around yet. I didn't notice any fluids coming from the hose itself and thought it might be some kind of vacuum hose?
Old 06-01-17 | 10:27 AM
LoneHiker
Pit Crew

That's the vent hose for the front diff. It is supposed to have a breather cap on it and it should be attached to the inner fender with some plastic clips that have probably broken. The fact that you can see it also means you are missing the rubber spray protectors as well.

If you open the hood and remove the fender cover, you will probably see where it goes via the broken plastic clips.
The following users liked this post:
MJG87 (06-01-17)
Old 06-01-17 | 12:03 PM
khoality
Driver

Originally Posted by LoneHiker
That's the vent hose for the front diff. It is supposed to have a breather cap on it and it should be attached to the inner fender with some plastic clips that have probably broken. The fact that you can see it also means you are missing the rubber spray protectors as well.

If you open the hood and remove the fender cover, you will probably see where it goes via the broken plastic clips.
thank you! I don't know how long it's been disconnected. How does or will it effect the vehicle with it "hanging" out as pictured?
Old 06-01-17 | 03:47 PM
MJG87
Driver

This is the hose, connects to a nipple at one end and has a plug at the other.

This is the plug, should just be a little one way valve, I would assume an auto store would have a universal one in stock that would replace it fine.

It is not likely to cause you problems driving without it but it should be a quick and easy fix anyway, new valve in, cable tie the hose somewhere out of the way and move on.
Old 06-01-17 | 08:06 PM
khoality
Driver

Originally Posted by MJG87
This is the hose, connects to a nipple at one end and has a plug at the other.

This is the plug, should just be a little one way valve, I would assume an auto store would have a universal one in stock that would replace it fine.

It is not likely to cause you problems driving without it but it should be a quick and easy fix anyway, new valve in, cable tie the hose somewhere out of the way and move on.
great, thanks, glad it's a simple fix.
Old 06-02-17 | 06:18 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

So far as the splash panels - the ones on the driver's side aren't critical for normal in-town driving. But there's one on the passenger side front that you definitely want to be there, as it protects the alternator.

Chip H.
Old 06-02-17 | 06:54 AM
khoality
Driver

Originally Posted by chiph9
So far as the splash panels - the ones on the driver's side aren't critical for normal in-town driving. But there's one on the passenger side front that you definitely want to be there, as it protects the alternator.

Chip H.
thanks for the reminder, i'll have to check to make sure the passenger side didn't brittle away too.