GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Advice on 2008 GX470 with 25k miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-17, 07:10 AM
kmchuk
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Advice on 2008 GX470 with 25k miles

Yes, it only has 25k miles, not a typo. I have been looking for GX470 for about 3 weeks all over the internet, and ironically found this GX couple of streets behind my office. The original owner is asking 26,000 for it, other than 4 or 5 oil changes no other maintenance was done to it, I verified it on Lexus owner's website. It was garaged since new.

I do some of my repairs myself, but not sure if timing belt is worth changing by myself, I can do fluids and suspension work and based on Lexus maintenance schedule and forum recommendations it's due for 90k service with timing belt and WP, also the tires are 10 years old, so those need to be changed first. There is no rust. Dash hasn't cracked, I assume it will crack once we start driving it.

I understand price can be subjective but can you please share your personal opinion on if this truck is worth it?.

What would you pay for it?. It has Nav, non-sport and no KDSS.

Thank you, please move it to right forum if I posted in wrong place.

Last edited by kmchuk; 06-01-17 at 10:28 AM. Reason: added vehicle description.
Old 06-01-17, 07:43 AM
yackowski
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly, it's too high for me. I would buy a 460 for the added size and updated gadgets at that price point.

The dash cracking isn't a guarantee. I don't think I would be all that concerned with the timing belt as an immediate repair. The airbags are probably pretty dry along with the tires at that age.

That's my 2 cents, bud. They're definitely good vehicles, no doubt. I think it all comes down to your "price can be subjective" comment.

Cole
The following users liked this post:
kmchuk (06-01-17)
Old 06-01-17, 08:42 AM
kmchuk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by yackowski
Honestly, it's too high for me. I would buy a 460 for the added size and updated gadgets at that price point.

The dash cracking isn't a guarantee. I don't think I would be all that concerned with the timing belt as an immediate repair. The airbags are probably pretty dry along with the tires at that age.

That's my 2 cents, bud. They're definitely good vehicles, no doubt. I think it all comes down to your "price can be subjective" comment.

Cole
Based on personal experience with this model, what would you buy it at?.
Old 06-01-17, 09:08 AM
jasanders
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kmchuk
Yes, it only has 25k miles, not a typo. I have been looking for GX470 for about 3 weeks all over the internet, and ironically found this GX couple of streets behind my office. The original owner is asking 26,000 for it, other than 4 or 5 oil changes no other maintenance was done to it, I verified it on Lexus owner's website. It was garaged since new.

I do some of my repairs myself, but not sure if timing belt is worth changing by myself, I can do fluids and suspension work and based on Lexus maintenance schedule and forum recommendations it's due for 90k service with timing belt and WP, also the tires are 10 years old, so those need to be changed first. There is no rust. Dash hasn't cracked, I assume it will crack once we start driving it.

I understand price can be subjective but can you please share your personal opinion on if this truck is worth it?.

What would you pay for it?.

Thank you, please move it to right forum if I posted in wrong place.
I love these vehicles and would definitely recommend them to anyone. Now a 10 year old vehicle for 26k is a bit steep. Pretty wild you found one with that few miles being that old, that is very rare and worth something alone.

Definitely want to look at the air bags and make sure they are not dry rotted and leaking. Make sure to check all the height settings and make sure the vehicle raises and lowers. If bags have a leak you will notice that it sags in the rear when sitting for a while or it will be very bumpy in rear while driving.

I would look at the CV boots and make sure they are not torn or dry rotted. Look for grease splattered around them.

Other than that not much else besides tires like you said being that old. Just trying to give you a few points to go off of to talk the price down a little. But that is a very rare find. I have an 03 with 150k miles and have no issues. The engines in these things don't die and the vehicle is a very solid vehicle. Very capable offroad also.
kmchuk (06-01-17)
Old 06-01-17, 09:09 AM
yackowski
Rookie

Man this is just me throwing this out there and in no way am I an expert or trying to sway your decision. The price isn't really bad, it's just more than I would personally pay for a 470. My thought process: I would ultimately end up spending the same amount getting the aged PM's up to date that I would on a 17-19k model of the same year with a few more miles and I'm simply not scared of higher mileage if I plan to keep the vehicle a long time. So my personal 470 price cutoff is like 20k. Beyond that I would look at 460's. Hope I don't get flamed in the 470 forum for saying that lol - just my preference. You do you, bud!
kmchuk (06-01-17)
Old 06-01-17, 09:37 AM
kmchuk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jasanders
I love these vehicles and would definitely recommend them to anyone. Now a 10 year old vehicle for 26k is a bit steep. Pretty wild you found one with that few miles being that old, that is very rare and worth something alone.

Definitely want to look at the air bags and make sure they are not dry rotted and leaking. Make sure to check all the height settings and make sure the vehicle raises and lowers. If bags have a leak you will notice that it sags in the rear when sitting for a while or it will be very bumpy in rear while driving.

I would look at the CV boots and make sure they are not torn or dry rotted. Look for grease splattered around them.

Other than that not much else besides tires like you said being that old. Just trying to give you a few points to go off of to talk the price down a little. But that is a very rare find. I have an 03 with 150k miles and have no issues. The engines in these things don't die and the vehicle is a very solid vehicle. Very capable offroad also.
I tried to test air suspension yesterday, but I didn't know the process and expected the height change to happen quickly while in drive mode. I am trying to read through forums to come up with steps to test the suspension correctly, If you know any please let me know. I will check remaining items you mentioned.

Originally Posted by yackowski
Man this is just me throwing this out there and in no way am I an expert or trying to sway your decision. The price isn't really bad, it's just more than I would personally pay for a 470. My thought process: I would ultimately end up spending the same amount getting the aged PM's up to date that I would on a 17-19k model of the same year with a few more miles and I'm simply not scared of higher mileage if I plan to keep the vehicle a long time. So my personal 470 price cutoff is like 20k. Beyond that I would look at 460's. Hope I don't get flamed in the 470 forum for saying that lol - just my preference. You do you, bud!
Agree with you about price getting close to good condition 460. I guess I got little frustrated looking at 140k miles for $15k with 3 owners, my thinking was if I drive it for 4 or 5 years and mileage goes over 200k, it will be worth 4k or 5k max, and it's hard to sell >200k vehicles.

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Last edited by kmchuk; 06-01-17 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-01-17, 10:01 AM
LoneHiker
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

There's a sweet spot between age and mileage, where the vehicle is driven enough but not too much. For me, that number is around 6k miles per year. When you buy a vehicle with fewer than 6k miles per year, you can expect rapid failure of some components if you start driving it every day: Rubber components like the air suspension and CV boots, as well as the timing belt.

A 10 year old timing belt will be dry, it needs to be replaced asap. The rest of the rubber components will likely fail in short order.

The engine itself can actually wear more in a low mileage situation. A vehicle needs to be driven enough to burn off the condensation that collects, otherwise you're starting an engine that is covered in a light layer of surface rust internally. Do some research on that before deciding if you want to buy it. Immediately change all fluids, most importantly the oil and transmission fluid, if you buy.

None of these issues would scare me away from buying it, but with this knowledge I would definitely not pay anywhere near 26k for it. I would probably pay $19k. Yes I realize there are higher mileage 2008's out there for around the same price, but in my opinion the granny car mileage actually reduces the value rather than increase it.
kmchuk (06-01-17)
Old 06-01-17, 05:41 PM
kmchuk
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to everybody for feedback. I won't be buying the truck, search continues.
Old 06-01-17, 09:29 PM
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good call. For comparison I was quoted $15.5k to trade in my 2008 with 105k miles on it 5 months ago. The thing is fully maintained, new tires, extra maintenance etc, and in good shape. I don't think I'd be able to get much more for it in a private party sale.. probably a few like mine on the market.

You just have to be patient and jump on the right car. Used cars aren't commodities. I'd rather have a turn key car that won't need anything but fluids for years than get a low mile car that costs more and needs several thousand of immediate work.
kmchuk (06-01-17)
Old 06-01-17, 10:02 PM
kmchuk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2008
Good call. For comparison I was quoted $15.5k to trade in my 2008 with 105k miles on it 5 months ago. The thing is fully maintained, new tires, extra maintenance etc, and in good shape. I don't think I'd be able to get much more for it in a private party sale.. probably a few like mine on the market.

You just have to be patient and jump on the right car. Used cars aren't commodities. I'd rather have a turn key car that won't need anything but fluids for years than get a low mile car that costs more and needs several thousand of immediate work.
Yes, trying to be patient now, it was tempting to buy a "unique" car, but odds were not in my favor due to age.
Old 06-02-17, 06:23 AM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I would buy it, for the right price. Yes it has low miles but that doesn't make it a 25k vehicle. I would show him all that needs to be done, which is a lot and subtract it from his asking price.I would inspect it from top to bottom and note anything you see. As far as gaskets and things like that, they are all rubber so nothing should be leaking, it has some miles on it so its broken in. You are looking at about 17k to 19k not subtracting for the repairs. . Go to KBB.com and print out the value. Edmunds.com too, show it to him to negotiate. As far as it needing a 90k service, bring it somewhere for a purchase inspection. They can take a look at the belt and give you a "idea" of its condition, oil on it, dry rot, good condition etc. I know they cant look and tell you when its going to break, idk that would be interesting to find out miles vs. time. I would jump on it for the right price. If you go prepared and get him down, I bet you would be happy.
Old 06-02-17, 07:57 AM
kmchuk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DiabloX22
I would buy it, for the right price. Yes it has low miles but that doesn't make it a 25k vehicle. I would show him all that needs to be done, which is a lot and subtract it from his asking price.I would inspect it from top to bottom and note anything you see. As far as gaskets and things like that, they are all rubber so nothing should be leaking, it has some miles on it so its broken in. You are looking at about 17k to 19k not subtracting for the repairs. . Go to KBB.com and print out the value. Edmunds.com too, show it to him to negotiate. As far as it needing a 90k service, bring it somewhere for a purchase inspection. They can take a look at the belt and give you a "idea" of its condition, oil on it, dry rot, good condition etc. I know they cant look and tell you when its going to break, idk that would be interesting to find out miles vs. time. I would jump on it for the right price. If you go prepared and get him down, I bet you would be happy.
Owner knew KBB excellent value(21k) and said he would keep it at that price. Unfortunately lot of owners seem to assume carwash+clean interior = KBB excellent, or atleast that's what I see on Craigslist.
Old 06-06-17, 06:33 AM
DiabloX22
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

No car that has miles on it is excellent. I would start pointing things out and visit him a awful lot, break him down. But thats just me. If you dont buy it, tell me where it is! Flash that cash, wear him down. It might take time, but it would be worth it. Drive it a few times, point out little things, climb all over it, have him take the shields off the engine, point out anything and everything! It is going to be a waiting game.
Old 06-13-17, 05:10 PM
Jafch1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2008

I was just quoted $18k from Carmax for my 2008 with 62k. Looks like they really dont pay extra for those who dont drive there cars a lot. Goes to show you, if you decide on buying this ultra-low mileage GX from the guy negotiate it to the lowest possible figure. And yes a 9yr old GX does require some TLC. So prepare for things like Shocks, airbag replacement, wiring harnesses getting brittle, yellowing headlights, tires, brakes, etc. Luckily if your mechanically inclined this stuff is easy and relatively cheap when considering what a new GX460 costs in monthly payments.
Old 06-14-17, 06:24 AM
yackowski
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jafch1
I was just quoted $18k from Carmax for my 2008 with 62k. Looks like they really dont pay extra for those who dont drive there cars a lot. Goes to show you, if you decide on buying this ultra-low mileage GX from the guy negotiate it to the lowest possible figure. And yes a 9yr old GX does require some TLC. So prepare for things like Shocks, airbag replacement, wiring harnesses getting brittle, yellowing headlights, tires, brakes, etc. Luckily if your mechanically inclined this stuff is easy and relatively cheap when considering what a new GX460 costs in monthly payments.
They offered you 18k trade-in? Just curious. I may be moving soon with my job and my 15 minute commute is going to be increased to over an hour, so I'm beginning to consider a trade for a Camry myself.

Thanks,
Cole

Quick Reply: Advice on 2008 GX470 with 25k miles