GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

HELP Please!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-17, 03:23 PM
LaTour
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP Please!

My 2009 GX won't go in reverse or forward. She was fine yesterday. But today, I got in it, nothing. The shifter will shift down into reverse with no problem. I press on the accelerator and it just sits there like it's in neutral. The RPM's will go up as I press on the gas, but that's it. It does the same thing shifting into drive. My brother said it could be an electrical problem from the battery being messed with, but that hasn't been the case. I haven't noticed any slipping or driving problems either. This just came out of the blue. I hope it's not the transmission ( UGH!) The mileage is 104,000, purchased about 1-1/2 yrs ago. Lexus is missing about 5 years of maintenance records prior to my ownership. Also, I am a female who knows nothing about mechanical issues, so I appreciate any information that I could get from ya'll. Thanks so much!
Old 07-09-17, 04:22 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

I don't know much about that car. Transmissions I know, have you noticed any fluid leaking? And yes with the electronic controlled transmissions it can be electrical. A quick check of fuses is a good idea. Look in the fuse box cover to identify the fuse, as there is usually a chart to say what fuse does what. Always check the simple stuff first. Even trying to restart it and make sure its in park when starting.
Is the check engine light on when the engine is running? Have you had any kind of work done to the car recently. Someone could even set up a problem by unlatching an electrical connector so it would at some point fall apart, and cause a problem so the car has to be worked on. Yeah we all hope not, but sorry this is all part of a trouble shooting process to try to figure out the problem.
And actually the very first thing is to check the fluid, make sure its the proper amount.
Old 07-09-17, 04:57 PM
LaTour
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Dicer for the quick reply. There are no leaks, garage floor is dry as a bone. I've tried restarting and no change, also double checking that it was in park. I am unable to check transmission fluid as it is a closed system with no dip stick, and has to be accessed only by a technician ( so the owners manual says). I will definitely check out the fuse situation. Hopefully I won't have to have her towed. Thanks so much!!!
Old 07-09-17, 06:14 PM
EddieK05
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

You mention 'messing' with the battery, have you disconnected and re-connected it. Maybe that will reset your issue.
Old 07-09-17, 06:14 PM
tz693
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by LaTour
My 2009 GX won't go in reverse or forward. She was fine yesterday. But today, I got in it, nothing. The shifter will shift down into reverse with no problem. I press on the accelerator and it just sits there like it's in neutral. The RPM's will go up as I press on the gas, but that's it. It does the same thing shifting into drive. My brother said it could be an electrical problem from the battery being messed with, but that hasn't been the case. I haven't noticed any slipping or driving problems either. This just came out of the blue. I hope it's not the transmission ( UGH!) The mileage is 104,000, purchased about 1-1/2 yrs ago. Lexus is missing about 5 years of maintenance records prior to my ownership. Also, I am a female who knows nothing about mechanical issues, so I appreciate any information that I could get from ya'll. Thanks so much!
Make sure your Four-Wheel Drive Transfer Lever is in "H" position , not "N".
Old 07-09-17, 06:35 PM
LaTour
Driver School Candidate

Eddiek05, the battery hasn't been touched. The last time anyone worked on my truck was with the last oil change 4000 miles ago. This just came up out of the blue.

tz693, yeah it's in the high position. When I put it in drive, it tries to leap forward like it's trying to engage, and then it just comes to a halt. When I put it in reverse it does nothing. No engine lights are on either.
Old 07-09-17, 07:15 PM
tz693
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

When put the car in park, can you shift the Four-Wheel Drive lever between H-N-L a bit to see if it will engage?
Old 07-09-17, 07:32 PM
LaTour
Driver School Candidate

I can shift it between H and L, it does the same thing, if there's supposed to be a light showing that it's in L there isn't. And when it's in N a red A/T light comes on.
Old 07-09-17, 09:40 PM
EddieK05
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Since you said you're missing maintenance history for a few years, I'd change the transmission fluid along with the transfer case, you're due anyways at 104K miles. Might not fix the issue, but it's the least expensive option and may solve the issues.
Old 07-09-17, 11:03 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

It could be a communication issue in the CAN system, oh I just thought of a stupid thing it could be. And I really don't know much about the newer cars, but I think yours has tire pressure monitoring, If it was not communicating or you actually had low tire pressure that may cause the transmission to lock out. Just something to check. Really need a high end scan tool to check things on those newer cars.
Old 07-10-17, 06:20 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 744 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by LaTour
And when it's in N a red A/T light comes on.
That's the warning that when the transfer case is in neutral the vehicle could roll away (which is why it has a handbrake not a foot emergency-brake). Totally normal.

Are there any fluid drips under the vehicle? It's possible the fluid level is so low that the transmission can't engage. Unfortunately, Lexus didn't put a dip-stick on the transmission so you can't easily check it.

I think you're looking at a tow to your mechanic.

Chip H.
Old 07-10-17, 09:56 AM
LoneHiker
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Based on what you're saying, it's low transmission fluid, you've sprung a leak somewhere.

This thread describes checking the fluid level, dropping the transmission pan and refilling the fluid. If you don't know anyone who can do this work, you'll need to push, pull, or drag it to a shop:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...er-change.html
Old 07-10-17, 12:34 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 744 Likes on 608 Posts

If you do decide to get it towed, make sure they use a rollback tow truck (the kind with the platform). Tell them it has full-time four-wheel-drive so they'll know. If they just lift it by the front or rear wheels it'll damage the drivetrain.

Chip H.
The following users liked this post:
IanB2 (07-10-17)
Old 07-10-17, 02:19 PM
LaTour
Driver School Candidate

Thanks all of ya'll for the great helpful info! Talked to my mechanic and he thinks it's possibly the transmission, but won't know for sure until he looks at it. I haven't had any leaks as far as I can tell. The garage floor is dry and has always been so since I got it. So it's all baffling to me. He also mentioned it could be the transfer case or electrical. I'm scheduled for a tow on wednesday.
Thanks so much chiph9 for the tow tips! I'm calling the wrecker guys now! I'm crossing fingers that it's nothing major.
Old 07-10-17, 04:57 PM
RPH74
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts

I hope for you it isn't anything major! Please update us with the diagnosis and fix, as it may help someone else out in the future.

Quick Reply: HELP Please!