GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Aftermarket Sub + Amp Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-17, 08:58 AM
Jazzkanda6
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Aftermarket Sub + Amp Install Questions

So ive gone through the forums entirely to see if anyone has a step by step guide for adding an Amp and Sub to my 2007 GX470 with mark levinson and nav.

Essentially im looking for any information you guys might have on how this might be different from a typical sub/amp install if you know, or if you actually have some guidance here it would be greatly appreciated.

Ive never done any sub installs before, but ive got a friend whos done lots of these -just not on Lexus'. so Any information would help

I was told i will need an high output converter, is it best to tap into factory wire before the amp or after?

Thanks in advance
Old 09-18-17, 10:56 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 745 Likes on 609 Posts

Consult a highly skilled professional. By which - someone who has won IASCA contests and not your local Best Buy installer. Ask them "What equalization curve does this factory system have?" and any answer other than "dynamic" will be wrong.

It's a highly-integrated system (the ML amp is on the car's data bus) so just throwing an aftermarket amp & speaker set in there is not likely to work.

Chip H.
Old 09-18-17, 12:14 PM
Jazzkanda6
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chiph9
Consult a highly skilled professional. By which - someone who has won IASCA contests and not your local Best Buy installer. Ask them "What equalization curve does this factory system have?" and any answer other than "dynamic" will be wrong.

It's a highly-integrated system (the ML amp is on the car's data bus) so just throwing an aftermarket amp & speaker set in there is not likely to work.

Chip H.

So this isn't an install I can do myself by adding a high output converter, amp and sub?

What else is required?
Old 09-18-17, 02:15 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

There's several issues - the system changes equalization based on volume to accommodate speaker dynamics. If you have the ASL engaged, it will also change the equalization based on your speed (I don't think it uses the cabin microphone for this). Also realize that the ML system has around 10 separate channels (might be twelve - not sure if the mid and tweeter speakers in the front doors are separate or not) so to replicate that, you'd need a lot of amp channels.

Frankly, the GX with Nav + ML is the wrong vehicle to buy if you want to quickly put an aftermarket stereo in. It can be done -- it's just very very complex.

Chip H.
Old 09-18-17, 02:17 PM
Jazzkanda6
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chiph9
There's several issues - the system changes equalization based on volume to accommodate speaker dynamics. If you have the ASL engaged, it will also change the equalization based on your speed (I don't think it uses the cabin microphone for this). Also realize that the ML system has around 10 separate channels (might be twelve - not sure if the mid and tweeter speakers in the front doors are separate or not) so to replicate that, you'd need a lot of amp channels.

Frankly, the GX with Nav + ML is the wrong vehicle to buy if you want to quickly put an aftermarket stereo in. It can be done -- it's just very very complex.

Chip H.
hey chip thanks for the info.

I'm not looking to change the system head unit or even the oem amp. Just want to add an amp and sub.

Wondering if that uncomplicats things?
Old 09-18-17, 07:03 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Not really. If you remove the head unit you lose navigation (no big deal) but you also lose your climate controls (other than just pushing the "Auto" button)

There is a Chinese Android replacement head unit that someone installed. They found it on Alibaba. I gather it worked fine, but haven't heard from them in quite a while.

Chip H.
Old 09-19-17, 07:08 AM
maxx430
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a shop installed a hi low convertor behind my head unit. They connected the hi low to my front left and right speakers. the wires from there are ran to underneath the driver seat. I seated my aftermarket amp next to my ML amp. From this point, it was pretty basic setup and my speaker wires leads to the rear of the car. The reason for this is that during road trips, I remove the sub only and leave the amp untouched for more cargo space. I had a old hi low convertor I reused and the output tot he sub is fairly minimal. I been meaning to replace it with a LC2 from audio control but never came around to do so.
Old 09-19-17, 07:17 AM
Jazzkanda6
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by maxx430
I had a shop installed a hi low convertor behind my head unit. They connected the hi low to my front left and right speakers. the wires from there are ran to underneath the driver seat. I seated my aftermarket amp next to my ML amp. From this point, it was pretty basic setup and my speaker wires leads to the rear of the car. The reason for this is that during road trips, I remove the sub only and leave the amp untouched for more cargo space. I had a old hi low convertor I reused and the output tot he sub is fairly minimal. I been meaning to replace it with a LC2 from audio control but never came around to do so.

Thanks for the info that is what I was hoping to hear.

​​​​​​how powerful is the system you're running and did you need a capacitor or an additional battery?
Old 09-20-17, 07:03 AM
maxx430
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jazzkanda6
Thanks for the info that is what I was hoping to hear.

​​​​​​how powerful is the system you're running and did you need a capacitor or an additional battery?
I installed a soundstream PN1.650D 650rms amp running a sundown 10" EV3 sub rated at 500rms running at 2ohms in a ported .90 enclosure. it was difficult to find a suitable amp to fit where I wanted it. I did not add a cap or additional battery. I feel as those my setup does not perform well enough. The gain on the amp is 3/4 up. The shop recommended I get the LC2 as the signal is a lot better with more adjustments.
Old 11-06-17, 01:44 PM
dumars
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you say they connected the hi low to your front left and right speakers, did they splice them from the speaker wires to your converter?
Old 11-07-17, 06:57 AM
maxx430
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dumars
When you say they connected the hi low to your front left and right speakers, did they splice them from the speaker wires to your converter?
yup, I am not sure which speaker it spliced as I believe the front door has three speakers each. So they splice into 4 wires total.