GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Help valuing my GX if I decide to sell?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-17, 10:46 AM
philbegas
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help valuing my GX if I decide to sell?

Hey, so I know I'm not allowed to sell on here because I'm a newish member, but I was hoping to get some advice for how much you experienced lexus owners think I could get for my GX470. Long story short, I moved to Philadelphia with two cars and I just don't need them. Hell, I barely need one, but I'm not giving up my 77k mile 6MT G35. I don't see very many GX470s being sold, and most of them are with low-mid 100k miles for about $10-15k.

My Lexus is an 06 GX470 with the tow package (never even towed anything), 3rd row seats. It's got nearly 190k miles, and it is *one family* owned. My parents bought it brand new and then gave it to me when they moved to Spain because it's simply not worth the shipping costs/import taxes. The interior is as you'd expect from an 11 year old car, it has a few spots here and there and some creases in the drivers seat, but zero tears anywhere. As for the exterior, it has a few bumps and scrapes (my stepfather is quite old and as a result would bump into little things here and there ), but overall it's a clean body. Zero accidents. Maintained expensively at Lexus dealerships, I can request a full service record from there, including rotors and CV boot being replaced recently. Transmission shifts smoothly, engine has no weird noises or roughness during idle.

The bad:

1. The little light that moves a long with the shift lever to tell you which mode you're in doesn't work.
2. The driver side a/c won't blow as cold as everywhere else, maybe it needs a re-charge?
3. The speaker in the tailgate is going out. You can't hear it from up front, only if speakers are on while loading stuff into the car or something. I didn't even notice until I went to see a drive-in movie and sat in the trunk facing the screen.

Basically, I would give the car about a 7/10 when it comes to exterior/interior, but a 9/10 when it comes to mechanics/maintenance. I was guess-timating that maybe I could get around $7,500 for it in a private sale.

If I 100% decide to sell I'll probably get an inspection, and I'm about to replace the oil/filter right now.

Any advice is appreciated, and if this isn't allowed I apologize in advance, feel free to delete it if necessary.
Old 11-29-17, 02:00 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 753 Likes on 617 Posts

I would use the Kelly Blue Book website as a start. They have options for "dealer trade-in price" and "private party sale" and you'll likely end up somewhere between them.

What you really want though, is access to the Kelly Black Book. This has prices for recent auctions and is much closer to the real market value (what dealers will buy for). If you have a friend who works at a dealership (that you won't be selling to), ask them to look up the value.

Understand that dealer trade-in is a wholesale price. If they buy from you, they'll mark it up to the retail price and put it on their lot - that's their profit margin. You'll make much more by selling to an individual. But.... then you have to deal with scammers and flakes and being available for test-drives, and so on. Trade-offs, eh?

So far as your repairs. #1 - no one is likely to notice, since the lights on the dash cluster still work, right? #2 - Replace your cabin filter, get a recharge from an A/C repair shop (do NOT just use a can from AutoZone). #3 You won't like the cost of replacements. Use this as a way for a buyer to "negotiate" with you.

Chip H.
Old 11-29-17, 09:04 PM
JLee50
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You're in Philly now? PM me your contact info if you want to sell - I'm in northern Jersey and know someone who is actively looking for a GX.
Old 11-29-17, 09:11 PM
philbegas
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Chip! I wasn't going to worry about #1, but I was just providing all the info I deemed as being relevant, I figured it wouldn't be super important though. I got quotes through "webuyanycar" and other sites like that for aroud $6,500 for it, but I figured they would probably actually offer closer to $5k which would be closer to wholesale price. It's a last resort of course, but I'd prefer to sell it privately.
Old 11-30-17, 07:29 AM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

190k... have you done the Timing belt job once or twice.?
i have an 04 with 122k and I was offer $5000.
i just decided to keep it.
that was one of the first questions the buyers did. Timing belt job?
Old 12-03-17, 06:52 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I keep an active eye on the market because I have my 06 for sale. I'd say you're in the $7500 range through a private party buyer, maybe as high as $8500.
Old 12-03-17, 07:58 PM
95rover
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Blackbook wholesale shows 5.5k for rough, and 7k for average and 8.8k for clean. I have access for work. I just put in your year and mileage.
The following users liked this post:
philbegas (01-12-18)
Old 12-05-17, 08:42 PM
Kalel250
Rookie

Originally Posted by 95rover
Blackbook wholesale shows 5.5k for rough, and 7k for average and 8.8k for clean. I have access for work. I just put in your year and mileage.
Very cool for you to pull that.

OP. I’d def say the market resale for these if it is well maintained is good. If you can show the major services done you should get anywhere between $7-8$. Best of luck.
Old 01-12-18, 09:01 AM
philbegas
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by angelslex
190k... have you done the Timing belt job once or twice.?
i have an 04 with 122k and I was offer $5000.
i just decided to keep it.
that was one of the first questions the buyers did. Timing belt job?
Timing belt job was done twice, more recent one was in Jan or Feb of 2017, can't be more than 20-25k miles ago.

Thank you for posting the black-book value. I decided that I wanted to hold out and make more money from a private sale. I'm not in a huge rush to sell.
Old 03-28-18, 09:04 AM
philbegas
Driver School Candidate

Car ended up being sold for 6,800

Maybe I'll be back on this forum when I can afford a GS F haha
Old 03-28-18, 10:55 AM
deeken
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

That's a good sell for you. At almost 200k miles it's nearing the end. People say it can go up to 300k miles but that's being optimistic. Stuff like the struts & shocks (including air bags), differential, tranny, heater core, electrical, etc will go soon and they are all expensive to repair/replace. The maintenance will eventually be too much. I personally would never buy any car with over 120K miles, especially here along the rust belt.
Old 04-10-18, 12:29 PM
Gxdrago
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deeken
That's a good sell for you. At almost 200k miles it's nearing the end. People say it can go up to 300k miles but that's being optimistic. Stuff like the struts & shocks (including air bags), differential, tranny, heater core, electrical, etc will go soon and they are all expensive to repair/replace. The maintenance will eventually be too much. I personally would never buy any car with over 120K miles, especially here along the rust belt.
Is this opinion or is there data i can look at to back this up?
Old 04-10-18, 02:07 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 753 Likes on 617 Posts

It's anecdotal, but has a solid basis in reality, as cars just don't last in the rustbelt region where they get lots of snow (followed by lots of salt).

You can do a rough estimate of this by going to kbb.com and checking the value of a GX in Arizona and then in Wisconsin (same mileage, features, etc)

Chip H.