GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

DVD Override and Pictures!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-04, 06:09 PM
davepl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding a backup cam...

I'd like to be able to adapt this mod to my project of adding an aftermarket backup camera; the only missing piece would be to force it to display the video input you supply.

Obviously each time you backed up you wouldn't want to have to go through the menus in the back seat to tell it to display video... does anyone have an inkling whether given a composite video source there's a way to make the front screen display it?

I wonder if by some fluke pumping it into the video input in the rear console will magically work, but I'm guessing without asking the rear seat entertainment to play it, it won't.

- Dave
Old 06-30-04, 08:24 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Adding a backup cam...

Originally posted by davepl
I'd like to be able to adapt this mod to my project of adding an aftermarket backup camera;
- Dave
Dave.....

Nav-Tv makes a module to pump TV into the NAV. I would think that they make a module to pump video from a Camera.

www.nav-tv.com

~ Cap
Old 07-07-04, 07:17 PM
Galanty
10th Gear

I have gone to two radio shacks, and they don't seem to have this switch.

1) Does anyone have a part number for the switch?
2) How long should the wire be?
3) What colors and what size wire is recommended?

Everyone who help make this post possible is my hero!
Old 07-07-04, 08:48 PM
mogulbumm
Rookie

Originally posted by Galanty
I have gone to two radio shacks, and they don't seem to have this switch.

1) Does anyone have a part number for the switch?
2) How long should the wire be?
3) What colors and what size wire is recommended?

Everyone who help make this post possible is my hero!
1) Don't know part number, but any low voltage double-pole double-throw switch should work. Note: if just for the DVD override and not for the screen, you don't really even need the switch... I'm just **** and like to put things back at default when necessary. Plus, it makes for a really quick switch from the DVD to the NAV screen when my passenger has a DVD playing and I need to switch back to NAV for a quick peek

2) You can get a spool of 4-wire cable for a few bucks at radio shack, so the length shouldn't be much of an issue. I think it was only about 18" or so from the back of the screen to the switch. You may need a few feet to wire up the NAV. I've been too busy to do this mod yet...

3) Colors are optional, especially since they are hidden. Light gauge is fine (12-18 or so should be MORE than adequate). It carries virtually no current.

Good luck.
Old 07-07-04, 10:41 PM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: Adding a backup cam...

Originally posted by Capirato
Dave.....

Nav-Tv makes a module to pump TV into the NAV. I would think that they make a module to pump video from a Camera.

www.nav-tv.com

~ Cap
If you can get wiring schematics of the '04 LX/Land Cruisers, you may get your answer. Backup camera comes with the Nav. When you put the car in reverse, it oautomatically overrides the Nav screens.
Old 07-07-04, 11:34 PM
Galanty
10th Gear

mogulbumm:

You are my hero ... and thanks you for your quick response.

I agree with you on using the switch ...

I went to another Radio Shack, and they had a similar switch to your picture, but it was not the same size as the entire existing black insert on the dash.

Did you drill a hole in the existing black insert to insert the radio shack switch, or was your version the exact same size as the black insert next to the shown next to "2nd strt". It almost looks like your square version has a smaller rectangler plug insert with in the square insert.

Also did you choose the square insert location next to "2nd strt", instead of the smaller rectangle insert a little lower on the dash for any important reason?

Radio shack switches link below: Part 275-692 and 275-694

http://www.radioshack.com/iphraseget...Aoid&text=&sf=
Old 07-08-04, 09:54 PM
mogulbumm
Rookie

Originally posted by Galanty
Did you drill a hole in the existing black insert to insert the radio shack switch, or was your version the exact same size as the black insert next to the shown next to "2nd strt". It almost looks like your square version has a smaller rectangler plug insert with in the square insert.

Also did you choose the square insert location next to "2nd strt", instead of the smaller rectangle insert a little lower on the dash for any important reason?

Radio shack switches link below: Part 275-692 and 275-694
I used the 275-694 switch and drilled a hole in the blank. It was just easier, plus I knew I could get another blank if I screwed it up (probably for about $75 at Lexus ) It is just a round hole just slightly larger than 1/2" if I remember correctly. If you drill it exact, the nut on the switch will hold it in perfectly.

Didn't look at any other mounting spots since that one was ripe for the picking.
Old 07-16-04, 08:59 PM
Galanty
10th Gear

Default DVD Override and Pictures

Mogulbumm:

I must be the technically retarded you were referring to.

Could you do a schematic on the switch based on your pictures/colors?

Screen Ground Switch Col. A Switch Col. B Car

Thanks ...
Old 07-16-04, 11:39 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i love your list ........

Tools you will need:
1. Wire cutters/Wire Stripper
2. Pry tool (I used a small putty knife)
3. Drill (if you are installing the switch)
4. Beer
5. Socket Wrench
6. Twist Connectors, Electrical Tape, or Solder/Soldering iron if you feel fancy
7. Beer
8. Light gauge wire

but I have learned ONLY to have a beer when the job is COMPLETE !!!!! or else there could be mistakes !!!!
Old 07-29-04, 10:35 AM
gordo251
Driver School Candidate

Question Must you have teh factory rear entertainment

I just purchased a 2004 Gx470 Yesterday and I love It! I was wondering if it is possible to perform this mod if you do not have the rear entertainment system installed? If so, where would the dvd's play from? I have teh Navigation but not the dvd entertainment system. Thanks
Old 08-08-04, 02:09 PM
LexLuder
Rookie

Default mogulbumm

Thanks for all the tips and tricks, now watching movies
Old 08-09-04, 09:44 PM
mogulbumm
Rookie

Default PLEASE DO NOT WATCH DVDS WHILE DRIVING

Fellow Lexus Folk,

PLEASE do not do this mod to watch DVDs while driving. I did the mod solely so my passenger (wife) can work the DVD player for said other passenger (14 month old).

In 38 states, it is illegal to have a DVD player in view of the driver. Just recently, there is a case in which a driver crashed while watching a DVD. Passengers in the car were killed and the driver is now on trial for MURDER!

It is not worth it! Please respect the rules of the road and use the mod safely for its intended purpose.

Thank you and good luck!
Old 08-09-04, 11:23 PM
LexLuder
Rookie

Default mogulbumm

I do thank you for your advice and concern, I did this option just for my wife and while driving with kids, I hardly even listing to radio, while at the road I am a defencive driver so I am like the camaleon with my eyes looking for any danger sign.
Old 12-21-04, 06:00 PM
Triniellis
Driver School Candidate

Default Es 330

Will this mod Work on a ES 330?

Is the Nav Mod cables under the passenger seat or behind the nav screen?

Having a video play up front will cause any driver to eventually watch so becareful.

I would like the Nav to work when a passenger is in the passenger seat . Lexus can tell when a passenger in sitting because the air bag is enabled so they should also enable the nav so that the passenger could make the ajustments and disable it when there is no passenger.

So any help will be appreciated.

TRINIELLIS
Old 12-22-04, 08:38 PM
Fusion400
Driver

Default Switch Wires???

OK now that I have some free time on my hands I going to do the dvd override mod. I am a little confused may be you guys can help me out. Based on the the previous posts and some pictures by "mogulbumm" this is what i got. Please see the illustrations below:

My questions are: what is next? do i connect all three wires solder together (green-from the car, red, and black) to the ON switch and the OFF switch solder together the green wire (coming from the dvd screen)plus a ground wire (5th wire)?

Thanks
FUSION

Last edited by Fusion400; 12-22-04 at 08:40 PM.

Quick Reply: DVD Override and Pictures!