GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

DVD Override and Pictures!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-05, 01:40 PM
pdantoni
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brooks, you are correct. I have performed the operation...the navigation system is in NO way affected by the procedure.

Philip
Old 11-10-05, 04:21 PM
cmc5dc
Driver

Pdantoni,

Hey thanks for your input, your explanation/diagram was what I was looking for. I'll try the mod this weekend.

I have my car service from the dealership for oil changes and I did not want to void my warranty if they run a diagnostic test which they do and then your SOL.

Again thanks

cmc
Old 11-10-05, 04:37 PM
peterGX470
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anyone know where the video input for the NAV screen is?
Old 11-14-05, 01:25 PM
pdantoni
Driver School Candidate

peterGX470,

I don't have my car with me, but I believe I remember seeing it near the rear A/C controls...

Philip
Old 11-15-05, 01:25 PM
cmc5dc
Driver

Originally Posted by pdantoni
My diagram in the previous post didn't come out to good. I'll try again.

Switch Poles ("O"):

------Violet Wire from Plug -----O O------Light Green Wire from Plug
Violet Wire from Harness------O O------Light Green Wire from Harness
---------------------------Blank -----O O------Ground Wire

Throwing the switch up reconnects the original factory wires.
Throwing the switch down disconnects the violet wire and grounds the light green wire, allowing you to watch a DVD on the navigation screen.

Please let me know if this helps.

Philip
Phillip,

I did as you described above, however something isn't wired right. Everything is normal as in stock but when I throw the switch up the brake light appears but dvd doesn't show up....if I hit audio button their is no bold picture button as in the case when the parking brake is up but like I said the parking light appears when I throw the switch up. Any suggestions?
Old 11-15-05, 02:02 PM
ELEX470
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default will it also work...

Will this DVD Override fix for 2005 Gx470 will also allow me to use ALL the touchscreen functions while i am driving or i need to do something else?
if something else do you know what i need to do?
Thank you for your help!
Old 11-16-05, 06:06 PM
loflin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cmc5dc
Phillip,

I did as you described above, however something isn't wired right. Everything is normal as in stock but when I throw the switch up the brake light appears but dvd doesn't show up....if I hit audio button their is no bold picture button as in the case when the parking brake is up but like I said the parking light appears when I throw the switch up. Any suggestions?
Sounds like you have GND'd the wrong side of the Parking Brake signal. You need to GND the side going into the NAV, so it thinks the Prk Brake is on. You should NOT get the Pkg Brk light in the dash on, unless you've GND'd the part of the wire (you cut) that goes back up into the dash.
Old 11-16-05, 07:04 PM
cmc5dc
Driver

Originally Posted by loflin
Sounds like you have GND'd the wrong side of the Parking Brake signal. You need to GND the side going into the NAV, so it thinks the Prk Brake is on. You should NOT get the Pkg Brk light in the dash on, unless you've GND'd the part of the wire (you cut) that goes back up into the dash.

So the diagraph is correct and I just grnded the wrong side? If that is so than I'll try what you mentioned.

thanks,
cmc
Old 11-17-05, 05:46 PM
pdantoni
Driver School Candidate

I'm not sure what's wrong. When I throw the switch, the brake light does not come on. Read the beginning of the this forum and check what the original post and pictures say. I diagram was from memory.

Sorry,
Philip
Old 11-18-05, 10:17 AM
-GX470-
Driver School Candidate

Default Navigation Bypass - Is this the Simple Version?

Pardon any ignorance on my part but am I to understand that is you run the Violet wire with a red stripe of the NAV Computer through a switch, Open position to allow entry into the Nav screen and closed to resume normal operation. This is all that needs to be done for bypass on an 05 GX?

Thanks for any replies!
Old 11-18-05, 10:41 AM
pdantoni
Driver School Candidate

Don't forget the emergency brake wire. In order to use the DVD on the front screen you have to disconnect the violet wire with the red stripe AND ground the light green wire. - Philip
Old 11-18-05, 03:10 PM
loflin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cmc5dc
So the diagraph is correct and I just grnded the wrong side? If that is so than I'll try what you mentioned.

thanks,
cmc
Sorry, can't comment on the wiring "diagram", I was just responding to your symptoms.
Old 11-20-05, 12:56 PM
cmc5dc
Driver

Originally Posted by pdantoni
My diagram in the previous post didn't come out to good. I'll try again.

Switch Poles ("O"):

------Violet Wire from Plug -----O O------Light Green Wire from Plug
Violet Wire from Harness------O O------Light Green Wire from Harness
---------------------------Blank -----O O------Ground Wire

Throwing the switch up reconnects the original factory wires.
Throwing the switch down disconnects the violet wire and grounds the light green wire, allowing you to watch a DVD on the navigation screen.

Please let me know if this helps.

Philip
Well I switch the ------Violet Wire from Plug -----O O------Light Green Wire from Plug and Violet Wire from Harness------O O------Light Green Wire from Harness around so the ground wire was next to the Light Green Wire from plug and the brake light issue no longer goes on and the DVD works as it should when rolling .

My only question is when the switch is off shouldn't it act like stock.....pull the brake and hit the audio button then picture (on screen button) should appear in bold? It doesn't do it, the picture (on screen button) isn't bold but faint as in the inability to access while driving. Did I miss something Philip or anyone?

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 11-23-05, 10:34 AM
Tony
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Where are you guys going to buy your switches

I am going to try to do this over Thanks Giving where do you buy the swicth and what is the part number?

Thanks

Tony
Old 11-23-05, 10:45 AM
cmc5dc
Driver

double-pole, double-throw switch from Radio Shack (about $3). Look at the pic in the beginning of thread, mine didn't have the on logo.

Quick Reply: DVD Override and Pictures!