GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Thinking of a GX470 for a daily/beater/tow rig

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-18, 07:13 PM
C7GS
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Thinking of a GX470 for a daily/beater/tow rig

Hey everyone,
I'm considering a used (roughly, 100k miles) GX470 for a vehicle that can share daily driving duties with my, as my user handle suggests, C7 Grand Sport. Vette is great, but traffic is miserable, we occasionally get **** weather (and if you haven't driven on Cup tires or even Pilot Super Sports in wet 35 degree weather, you don't know fear), I occasionally want to buy something that doesn't fit in the Corvette, etc. Actually three big things are being able to do multi-day mods/maintinance to the Vette without worrying about how I'm getting to work, keeping miles off of it (I typically drive 30 miles round trip, but some days I drive 120 miles RT) and, last but not least, towing the Vette to track days. So here are my questions:
  1. GX has a great reputation for reliability. What should I look out for? I don't mind relatively cheap and simple fixes I can do in my garage (I'll have another car) but is there anything big to watch out for? Also, any corrosion problems that should deter me from buying from up north?
  2. Any big differences in model years?
  3. Vette weighs about 3500 wet, I'm guessing an aluminum trailer is about 1500-2000, putting me at or just above the 5000lb tow capacity. How well do these things tow? I'll probably only be towing 3 hours, on flat land, from Dallas to Houston. I'd probably upgrade brake pads and fluid to something substantial and add an aux transmission cooler. , but I'm worried about the 235(?) HP engine.
  4. Speed limits here are 75. It seems like 235hp isn't enough for such a big vehicle. I'm not looking to win any races, but I don't want this thing gear hunting on every overpass.
  5. What should I pay for a clean 90-100k mile GX?
Thanks in advance!
Old 03-05-18, 05:31 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

not sure, but i think that torque is the key measurment for towing....this engine does 320 lb/ft @ 3400 RPM...thats for the 03-04 model year...goes up to 330 for 05 and up.
Old 03-05-18, 08:39 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 753 Likes on 617 Posts

Former Austin resident here.

The GX drives well up to 75 mph, but becomes nervous at higher speeds (like at 85 mph on SH-130...) It's a combination of airflow (high-riding SUV) and wheelbase/track ratios, IMO. You aren't going to want to tow at that speed anyway - the trailer tires just aren't rated for it. Keep your RPMs under 2k for best fuel economy (I get 13 city 19 hwy).

Get the frame-mounted hitch - it's rated to 6500 lbs (there are misprints in the Lexus docs - they show the "pintle hitch" with that rating, but it only attaches to a crossmember and can't possibly tow that much). You want a vehicle that has the pre-wire for towing (I think all but the base models have this) -- open the hood and look for the aux cooler near the horns.

There are common faults with this vehicle like any. Avoid any vehicle with transfer case leaks (even just seeping) - it's an expensive repair. Avoid any vehicle with codes set for the secondary air injection system - there are cheap fixes but it's still not cheap to be able to pass emissions tests. The GXes tend to have sticking brake calipers, but there's a vendor here working on a Wilwood kit. The radiator will need replacing sometime after 10 years (to be expected).

So far as rust - buy a southern/Texan/California vehicle. There aren't huge rust problems in general (not like the Tacoma frame..) but why invite trouble?

Chip H.
Old 03-05-18, 11:34 PM
poseidon1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had my 04 GX for several years now and I think it could meet your needs. I believe the 2005+ have more power on paper but everyone I have talked to say they don't notice it. I tow a small Airstream with mine with no problems but it is only 3500Lb. I do tow up and down the mountain passes. Mine has the 6500lb tow capacity but I think that is on the tow equipped ones that are 2004+. I drive mine daily and at least once a month a 300 mile RT for work. It is very comfortable on the long drives and amazing in the snow and ice.
Old 03-07-18, 04:23 PM
RushNatU
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

1. GX has a great reputation for reliability. What should I look out for? I don't mind relatively cheap and simple fixes I can do in my garage (I'll have another car) but is there anything big to watch out for? Also, any corrosion problems that should deter me from buying from up north? Yes, if possible check for frame rust and suspension component wear. I had my 05 undercoated when I got it and there was significant rust that had to be treated first.
  2. Any big differences in model years? 08-09 has a slightly updated interior but basically same.
  3. Vette weighs about 3500 wet, I'm guessing an aluminum trailer is about 1500-2000, putting me at or just above the 5000lb tow capacity. How well do these things tow? I'll probably only be towing 3 hours, on flat land, from Dallas to Houston. I'd probably upgrade brake pads and fluid to something substantial and add an aux transmission cooler. , but I'm worried about the 235(?) HP engine. The engine will pull that much weight, but it will stress it at highway speeds. You will know by the single digit gas mileage. I have pulled an enclosed motorcycle trailer (1200lb + 700lb bike + 200lb of gear in the cab + passenger) from Indiana to Colorado and back with no mechanical problems at all. It does have trouble staying in 5th gear on any moderate inclines so you will be downshifting especially if the terrain is hilly. Luckily theres an A/T temp light to let you know if youve pushed it too far.
  4. Speed limits here are 75. It seems like 235hp isn't enough for such a big vehicle. I'm not looking to win any races, but I don't want this thing gear hunting on every overpass. If the speed limit is 75, likely most are going 80 and pulling 5000 lb at that speed will definitely heat things up.
  5. What should I pay for a clean 90-100k mile GX? They hold their value well at that mileage, but drops off considerably as the mileage goes up. I wouldn’t hesitate to trade miles for condition. The 05 has 215k miles bought 2 yrs ago with 175k for $12k at a Lexus dealer. Now probably worth $5k in trade. Been very reliable but it has had some minor work done on it in the past. CV boots, one rear air bag and one height sensor, alternator, brake calipers, shocks, timing belt/water pump, spark plugs, sepentine belt. Watch out for loud suspension compressor. They are super expensive. Check that speakers and sub are not blown (I missed the subwoofer on mine
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by RushNatU; 03-07-18 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-12-18, 05:51 AM
C7GS
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone.
Old 03-12-18, 06:44 AM
C7GS
Driver School Candidate

another set of questions:
Was the (seemingly problematic at this age/mileage) air ride/adjustable height suspension standard? Also, if it fails, does it have any other problems aside from simply riding at the lowest setting?
Old 03-12-18, 06:50 AM
ALAN553
Racer

if the air bags start leaking, eventually the compressor will burn out from over work...constantly adjusting for the loss of air...that will set ya back additional $$$, so when you suspect a leak, replace earlier vs later or go for coil conversion
The following users liked this post:
chiph9 (03-12-18)
Old 03-12-18, 08:06 AM
C7GS
Driver School Candidate

Is the air suspension standard? Does it not otherwise have springs or something? There isn't a fuse you can pull?
Old 03-12-18, 08:15 AM
ALAN553
Racer

[QUOTE=C7GS;10139740]Is the air suspension standard? Does it not otherwise have springs or something? There isn't a fuse you can pull?[/QUtake

take a look underneath...all GX470's have standard height controlled, air suspension, if you pull the plug on the system...you have no springs, bags will deflate, truck will ride on the axle, your headlights will be pointing to the moon....you can eliminate the air suspension system by replacing the air bags with coil springs, just like the toyota 4runner, in which case you would disconnect the electronics, also the shocks are electroniclly selectabel for ride stiffness, on your console, comfort, normal, sport, those too can be replaced with standard shocks and disconnect the electronics.
Old 03-12-18, 08:17 AM
C7GS
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. I'd look but I don't have a gx yet, lol.
Ugh. Air shocks are always a bad idea. How much does a cool swap cost
Old 03-12-18, 08:28 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Originally Posted by C7GS
oh....have to do a search here, different options, for springs shocks, ride height etc....i opted for OEM when by air bags went...ride control has its ups and downs....(LOL), the height is always maintained, which is nice, regardless of load...the air bags should be good for 10 years, depending on where the vehichle has been living...the rubbers life is dependent on time and environment....my first truck, and 04, they lasted 11 years here in the northeast.
Old 03-12-18, 08:47 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 525 Likes on 437 Posts

Coil spring swap requires a coil conversion kit (SSO or MetalTech make these, under $100), upper spring isolators from Toyota, and some springs (new or used). If you opt for used 4Runner of FJC springs the conversion can be done for under $300 easily. When choosing a spring, carefully consider how much weight you carry, and how much towing you do, as the air suspension was great for levelling the load no matter what you were doing.
Old 03-12-18, 10:17 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 753 Likes on 617 Posts

They're not a bad idea - they just solve a problem that you may not have -- how to keep the vehicle (and headlights) level when towing or the cargo area is full of mulch for the landscaping. Like was said, you have the option to swap them out.

Chip H.
Old 03-12-18, 05:00 PM
shnitz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you, and if you bought that maroon one in Plano this evening, then you beat me to the punch, I knew that I should have put work on hold! I have the same use case as you, but for towing a Miata to track days. I've been driving locally here and once went as far as COTA in Austin, but my wife is getting relocated to Colorado Springs, and I figure something with a V8 for high elevation will work well. This way, when I'm not somewhere within my web of support, if something happens, I won't be stuck 3 hours or more away from my new home.

Quick Reply: Thinking of a GX470 for a daily/beater/tow rig