GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Newbie Tow Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-18, 06:22 PM
GXOutlaw
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Newbie Tow Question

I have an 06 gx470 with 140k miles that I bought about 2 weeks ago. The thing is great. Everything seems to work, exceptcwhen I go to afjust the height. If I go to low or high, then take off, the dash light blinds and goes back to normal/mid height. That in mind i feel the back raise/lower but not the front. Ive been meaning to just pull out the tape measure and see for sure but work has been busy. All that in mind, I need to tow a race trailer in a week. Trailer is about 3500lb with electronic breaks that are a dream. The car is a strippe 85’ mr2 about 2000-2100 lbs. theres also probaly <500lbs of other stuff in the trailer like wheels, jack, stands, spare parts, etc. in total i think its about 6000 total. I put on a draw-tite hitch rated at 730 tongue and 7300 total trailer (with weight distributing hitch) and I have a weight distributing hitch rated for 1k/10k. My friend Trailblazer ss and another friend 2016 tacoma both tow the rig well. Should I be ok towing this from Rhode Island to Staten Island? Its my first time towing woth a GX and I’m a bit nervous as I dont know the limits of the suspension or how much life it has. Prior owner said shocks were done about 25k miles ago, but who knows...
Old 04-26-18, 06:32 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 146 Posts

Rear air suspension returns to auto/N at about 18 MPH, and adjusts automatically based on load. Front suspension does not adjust height.
The following users liked this post:
GXOutlaw (04-26-18)
Old 04-26-18, 06:52 PM
GXOutlaw
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ALAN553
Rear air suspension returns to auto/N at about 18 MPH, and adjusts automatically based on load. Front suspension does not adjust height.
Good to know. There are truly no strange bumps or rattles with the GX and I'm thoroughly pleased so far. I wish I bought one sooner. All that in mind, I'm assuming I should be ok to tow the trailer with the WD hitch. The distance is about 200 miles but part of the treck goes through NYC and I just don't want to get stranded anywhere, let alone one of the boroughs.
Old 04-27-18, 01:58 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 524 Likes on 436 Posts

The speed threshold where it overrides back to "N" position is different for Hi vs. Low settings, but in either case when you exceed the limit it will revert to "N" height. Airbags are on the rear suspension only, front height doesn't change. You should be fine to tow your trailer, the only thing that would be really nice would be a trans temp gauge. Any idea if the trans fluid has ever been changed?
Old 04-27-18, 03:20 PM
GXOutlaw
Driver School Candidate

The last big service at lexus was 107k miles and 4 years ago. Doesnt say they changed it in the drivers.lexus site so Im just going to assume no.
Old 04-27-18, 03:23 PM
GXOutlaw
Driver School Candidate

Also I contacted Lexus before buying my GX, they said it came with the tow package but no hitch. I bought it with no hitch. Maybe it did at one point but the holes for the hitch definitelly did not have anything in them over the last couple years. I had to run a tap through them to open it up a bit and allow the bolts to go in a little smoother.
Old 04-27-18, 05:42 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 744 Likes on 608 Posts

Lexus considers the transmission to be "sealed for life". This is bogus advice from them - you need to change the fluid (there has never been a fluid that will last as long as the rest of the vehicle).

Doing a drain + fill will get about 1/3 of it out. Removing the pan (which gives you access to the internal filter) will get all of it out, but it's much pricier (~ $700). Do not do a "flush" as the pressure will be excessive.

Note that the transmission is very sensitive to the fill level, since the fluid expands when it gets warm. Best to measure what you remove, then add that much back of fresh.

There are 3rd party fluids available, but the Toyota brand works well and isn't super expensive.

Chip H.
Old 04-28-18, 02:18 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 863 Likes on 651 Posts

I do not understand the observation "Do not do a "flush" as the pressure will be excessive"...
Isn't the flush procedure done by disconnecting the Transmission oil lines at the radiator
end tank fittings and hooking up to an exchange unit? Start the truck and the vehicles own
transmission oil pump chugs through all the fluid until the old is out and the new is in. What
possible extra pressure is created? I have always been baffled by the old pan off/refill some
but not all of the fluid method. I usually change both socks rather than one but that's just me...
Old 04-28-18, 02:48 PM
GXOutlaw
Driver School Candidate

Most of my car experience is with a 69' 912... very basic and easy to work on. Transmission fluid change is just release the drain plug, then pump in the new fluid. I used Swepco and it did wonders on that old tranny. That in mind, it makes sense to just release the lines to the trans radiator as you said mcomer and let the tranny pump do the work. My fiance's dad is a mechanic but mostly works on Toyotas, I'll see what he normally does.
Old 04-28-18, 08:18 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 146 Posts

I think the theory is...do a simple drain early, 50Kor so, get metal particles out, clean or replace filter and gasket...and then at the 100 K plus mark flush the entire system through then lines at the radiator and replace with new fluid.
Old 04-28-18, 10:51 PM
LoneHiker
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

FYI this is how I flush my tranny, works great:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...er-change.html
Old 04-29-18, 06:31 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 524 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
I do not understand the observation "Do not do a "flush" as the pressure will be excessive"...
Isn't the flush procedure done by disconnecting the Transmission oil lines at the radiator
end tank fittings and hooking up to an exchange unit? Start the truck and the vehicles own
transmission oil pump chugs through all the fluid until the old is out and the new is in. What
possible extra pressure is created? I have always been baffled by the old pan off/refill some
but not all of the fluid method. I usually change both socks rather than one but that's just me...
He's saying to not use a powerflush machine, that uses it's own high pressure pump rather than the transmission's own internal pump. These powerflush machines used to be popular and they can knock loose debris which then gets caught up in the small passages, and causes issues. Flushing all the fluid using the transmission's own pump won't hurt anything and getting all new fluid in there is a good thing. Getting the fluid level correct is a tricky process as it involves bringing the trans up to temp before setting the level, but make sure this step is done correctly as it's very important on these transmissions and you don't have a dipstick.
Old 04-29-18, 07:36 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 744 Likes on 608 Posts

That's right, Ian. The power flush machines can also damage the internal filter because they're too powerful. Or sometimes get hooked up in reverse and blow out the filter.

The approach using the internal pump is fine. As is the gravity method by doing regular drain + fills, or dropping the pan.

Chip H.
The following users liked this post:
GXOutlaw (04-30-18)