GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Need some help, fellow GX 470 owners!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-18, 07:57 AM
maddtv
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Need some help, fellow GX 470 owners!

Hello guys,
I have a 2006 Gx 470 with 123,000 miles. I just did some work on the truck. I did brakes and rotors ( centric), outer tie rods on both sides, wheel bearings (passenger's side). I also bought new tires and rims ( were installed one week apart). The truck was driving fine until I put on the new rims. Now I get a feel of vibration and shakes when applying the brakes. Like there are bumps on the rotors. It starts happening after the new rims were installed. I can't seem to pinpoint the cause of the problem. The shop inflates the tire. to maximum psi (44). Should bring them down to 35 psi , perhaps?
By the way tires are Falken Wildpeak 265/70/17 and American Racing Baja rims.
Any thoughts of what causes this? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance for the potential feedback.

Last edited by maddtv; 05-03-18 at 08:02 AM.
Old 05-03-18, 08:03 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 147 Posts

tire pressure will not affect something that you only feel when you apply brakes...if that is the casel, only three things move when you hit the brakes, the calipers, the pads and the rotors.....anything you feel is somewhere in that connection, no?
The following users liked this post:
maddtv (05-05-18)
Old 05-03-18, 09:44 AM
maddtv
Rookie

I knew it wasn't that. I was just throwing ideas out there. I feel it's probably due to the aftermarket brakes and rotors. I only put aftermarket stuff because I didn't have a choice, the pads were worn out and the mechanic told me the calipers could be damaged if I didn't change them. This is the first time I put aftermarket parts in my vehicle. I usually buy factory products and have them installed. I just don't think I'm ready to put factory brakes and rotors after I spent 290 dollars on them already including the 2 grand that I already spent.😒😒😒
Old 05-03-18, 10:42 AM
deeken
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I just installed new Centric rotors with Akebono pads on both front and rear this past week and I don't have an issue with my aftermarket wheels. Did you do a comparison of your rotors before you installed them? It could be a problems with the wheels themselves or maybe incompatible rotors. Do you still have the original wheels with tires on them? If so I'd try to swap them out and test them to be sure.
Old 05-03-18, 11:28 AM
maddtv
Rookie

Originally Posted by deeken
I just installed new Centric rotors with Akebono pads on both front and rear this past week and I don't have an issue with my aftermarket wheels. Did you do a comparison of your rotors before you installed them? It could be a problems with the wheels themselves or maybe incompatible rotors. Do you still have the original wheels with tires on them? If so I'd try to swap them out and test them to be sure.
The shop installed the rotors and pads. I wasn't there when they installed them. I left and they called me when the car was ready. They didn't have any problem mounting and balancing the wheels so I'm assuming they are ok. What I failed to mention in the first post was when I first installed the pads and rotors with the factory wheels and tires I had the same issue, only it was worse because at a certain speed and braking the steering wheel and braking were vibrating. I brought the car back to the shop and they corrected the issue, but I am not sure what brand of rotors they put on then. After I put on the new wheels the problem came back. Only it isn't as bad as before. That's whyI think it might be the rotors.
Old 05-03-18, 11:44 AM
maddtv
Rookie

I do have the original wheels, not the tires though. They we're left at the shop after putting on the new tires.
Old 05-03-18, 12:04 PM
deeken
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by maddtv
The shop installed the rotors and pads. I wasn't there when they installed them. I left and they called me when the car was ready. They didn't have any problem mounting and balancing the wheels so I'm assuming they are ok. What I failed to mention in the first post was when I first installed the pads and rotors with the factory wheels and tires I had the same issue, only it was worse because at a certain speed and braking the steering wheel and braking were vibrating. I brought the car back to the shop and they corrected the issue, but I am not sure what brand of rotors they put on then. After I put on the new wheels the problem came back. Only it isn't as bad as before. That's whyI think it might be the rotors.
So the shop probably has your old rotors as well then? I don't know bud. I don't want to keep making suggestions that costs you more money and time. If anything I would consider taking it to another shop to get them looked at again. Maybe they didn't balance it correctly? Anyways good luck.
maddtv (05-05-18)
Old 05-03-18, 12:39 PM
maddtv
Rookie

So the shop probably has your old rotors as well then? I don't know bud. I don't want to keep making suggestions that costs you more money and time. If anything I would consider taking it to another shop to get them looked at again. Maybe they didn't balance it correctly? Anyways good luck.
Thanks, deeken. I appreciate your help.

Last edited by maddtv; 05-03-18 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-03-18, 03:59 PM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Most likely its the rotors that are causing the vibration. I had a similar issue with steering vibration when braking and it completely went away when I installed new rotors. Good luck and hope it works out for you.
Old 05-03-18, 06:07 PM
maddtv
Rookie

Originally Posted by Matsui
Most likely its the rotors that are causing the vibration. I had a similar issue with steering vibration when braking and it completely went away when I installed new rotors. Good luck and hope it works out for you.
Hey Matsui, what brand of rotors did you install to stop the vibration?
Old 05-03-18, 06:59 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 747 Likes on 611 Posts

The shop inflates the tire. to maximum psi (44). Should bring them down to 35 psi , perhaps?
They probably went to max sidewall pressure to help seat the bead. After driving it for a few days, drop it to the 32-35 range. Otherwise you'll get abnormal tire wear and traction problems on wet roads.

Chip H.
maddtv (05-05-18)
Old 05-04-18, 02:54 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Matsui, what brand of rotors did you install to stop the vibration?
Got them from the local NAPA store - their premium series. Its been almost 2 years, and they are rock solid.
maddtv (05-05-18)
Old 05-04-18, 09:09 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 524 Likes on 436 Posts

You could try rotating the wheels/tires front to back and see if the issue persists. If no change it's probably a legitimate brake issue, and could likely be fixed by properly bedding in the new pads and rotors. If the vibration changes after the wheels have been rotated it's likely you have an out of balance wheel/tire, now on the rear of your vehicle.

Here's some info on bedding in brakes:

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...-system-bed-in
maddtv (05-05-18)