GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

A/C Clutch Relay Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-18, 03:13 PM
zaccor
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A/C Clutch Relay Question

2 years ago I replaced the AC clutch relay because the AC light blinked and air wouldn’t blow cold. Fixed the problem.

Last summer the air wouldn’t blow cold so I had the AC recharged by my mechanic. Fixed the problem.

Today I tried the air for the first time and it’s not cool at all. It’s warm. AC light isn’t blinking.

Thought about replacing the AC clutch relay again- would that help? Would it go bad after 2 years?
Old 05-03-18, 06:56 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 753 Likes on 617 Posts

Try running the diagnostics and see what the computer says.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...eed-codes.html

Chip H.
Old 05-04-18, 09:00 AM
jimzilla
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a general piece of advice with air conditioning. be it your car or your home A/C unit. These units are sealed. The implications of that is gas does not just magically leak out of a sealed system. you can go a decade without needing a charge on your home or car. The main take away from this is that if you needed a recharge and that fixed your problem, that can mean only one thing. You lost some gas and that can only happen if you have a leak and you are no longer a sealed system. You have a choice now to either keep recharging it and accept the fact that you will lose that gas year after year and the leak will get worse and eventually u need to recharge it several times a year. The other option is to have the leak found and fixed. This is typically done w/ a special sensor wand where gas i put into the system and the detector is used to find the leak, or you put in gas w/ a special UV marker and you can use a UV light to find where the marker is leaking. Recharging the A/C yourself is actually pretty cheap, u grab a can, buy a hose kit and plug it in. If you pay a shop to recharge every year, it may be cheaper to just get it fixed. Good luck man, sorry you have to deal w/ this, but its just part of age. One last piece of advice if you are handy. take apart the A/C system and lines and replace all the O-rings. it's likely your truck is over 10 years old and the O-rings on all the fittings are just old and falling apart and if you replace them all your system will most likely be sealed again.
Old 05-04-18, 10:32 AM
zaccor
Driver

Originally Posted by chiph9
Try running the diagnostics and see what the computer says.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...eed-codes.html

Chip H.
Just ran the code test and I got codes 21, 23, and 24. I did do it in sunlight, not in the dark.

21 is solar sensor circuit. 23 is pressure switch circuit. But I don’t see what 24 could be looking at the codes list.

Taking all these codes together, it means what?
Old 05-04-18, 10:41 AM
zaccor
Driver

Doing research it does seem the code 24 would be for the AC Clutch relay?
Old 05-04-18, 11:57 AM
jimzilla
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...code-24-a.html

if you look through this thread a guy talks about getting a cheap 12 dollar one at OReilly's auto that works.
Old 05-04-18, 04:19 PM
zaccor
Driver

Originally Posted by jimzilla
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...code-24-a.html

if you look through this thread a guy talks about getting a cheap 12 dollar one at OReilly's auto that works.
I did get one and know how to put it in. I’m trying to verify that’ll fix the problem before I put in in and can’t return it. Mine was $17 at Oreilly’s-not a big chunk of change I know!