GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

best tires for gx 470

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-18, 02:42 PM
Headzup
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hii iam interested in the ko2 for my Lexus as well

Hello, im in the market for replacing my tires on my Gx 470 , I really like the k02 but been getting mixed opinions from tire shops ! I was wondering if you ended up going with the k02 ? If so , what do think of them? ( i never go off road with my vehicle)

Originally Posted by sheikhmax
Have 65K on my Michelin LTX MS/2s and they still have 6/32 Tread left on them... Looks like its time to replace them soon.I really want to get KO2s (especially the looks not that i take my GX off road) but guys at local tire shop totally discouraged me....
They said, those tires are not for lexus.... AT is a totally different ball game...GX will lose MPG on it.... The ride will become harsh and bla bla....
I cam out thinking... WTF

I know Michelins are the best but what do you guys think of BF Goodrich KO2s ... Does anyone experience those things i mentioned above??? or the tire shop guys were talking non sense...
Old 10-28-18, 03:29 PM
RockfordRX
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

What is the difference between LTX M/S and LTX M/S 2 tires? Is one model discontinued and M/S 2 the only one of two avalable?

Thanks!
Old 10-29-18, 03:58 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 752 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by RockfordRX
What is the difference between LTX M/S and LTX M/S 2 tires? Is one model discontinued and M/S 2 the only one of two avalable?

Thanks!
The LTX M/S 2 is the only model listed on the Michelin website. So pretty sure it replaced the M/S

Chip H.
The following users liked this post:
RockfordRX (11-04-18)
Old 10-30-18, 03:37 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

It is now called the Defender LTX M/S
The following 2 users liked this post by ALAN553:
chiph9 (10-30-18), RockfordRX (11-05-18)
Old 10-30-18, 09:34 AM
wombat55
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Michelin fan here also. Have 70,000 miles on Michelin LTX M/S 2 with another 5,000-10,000 to go. Had 70,000 on the previous Cross Terrains and could have gone another 5-10k but winter was coming and I thought I would trade off the car in a few years. My wife won't give it up. Got both sets at Costco.
Old 11-01-18, 09:34 AM
dchan865
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ALAN553
Michelin defender LTX M/S 2 is probaly the favorite here...you want other opinions...check tire racks ratings and reviews
Yup, my favorite tire as well. Very comfy and quiet ride.
Old 03-01-19, 07:15 PM
Henry83
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyo Open Country AT2

I just signed in to the group to be part of this conversation. I just changed the tires in my wife’s GX. So, I’m a Michelin fan. I have them in all my cars including the GX (defender LTX). Now this time around I wanted a more all terrain tire since I do take the truck off road every now and then and installed the Toyo Open Country AT2. Well my wife and I love them. Positive. Much better off-road, softer ride, and a little better gas milage. Negative up to now, just more noise. In short they seem great, I drove them 300 miles under heavy rain and no issues. Looking forward to hear your thoughts

H
Old 03-04-19, 10:54 AM
jbny
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Michelin - XLT A/S from Costco, they seem similar to LTX, so far very happy with them, my other SUV has Continental ExtremeContact DWS which i have been pretty happy with, i cannot compare the two directly as one is 17 inch and the other 20, but XLT A/S seems to work well in snow and high speeds (GX).
Usually Michelin's are a tad better than other tires for regular driving in my experience, on GX they seem to be ok for light offroad and snow.
Old 03-04-19, 12:28 PM
implantgs4
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Put Michelin LTX Premier on my 2005 GX and rides like a Lexus
Old 03-06-19, 07:25 AM
techrep
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Defenders... smooth and quite, great in the rain and snow.
Old 11-01-20, 08:06 AM
TDC1
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tire Recommendation Update?

This thread have been inactive for awhile and I'm hoping to get current advice on replacement tires for my GX470. It appears the overall recommendation is Michelin, so I have already decided on that brand. I'm trying to decide between the Defender and Latitude. I have read many good things about both tires here. Has anyone had both and an opinion of one against the other? Our GX will never be driven off road. The only consideration is rain and occasional snow.

We bought the GX used with the Latitude Touring and have been happy. but it appears the Defender is the default recommended replacement. The dealership priced the Defender and it appears Costco and Sam's Club also recommend the Defender.

Any strong opinions with either tire, or should it just depend on which is cheaper or on sale?
Old 11-01-20, 08:59 AM
jds4u2
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

I have the Defender for two reasons, first, it was originally on the truck when purchase (I found info in past owner docs), and Costco could get them in stock faster than the Latitude. I've had both and think the Defender rides slightly better than the Latitude but either tires are an excellent choice.
The following users liked this post:
TDC1 (11-01-20)
Old 11-02-20, 08:45 AM
TDC1
Driver

After reading this thread I decided to purchase the Michelin Defender tires and called Sam's Club this morning. According to the service manager, Michelin produces a special model (XLT A/S) exclusively for Sam's Club that is identical to the Defenders. The XLT A/S is about $20 cheaper per tire. Has anyone else heard of this?

I don't see the logic in Michelin creating an identical tire to be sold for a cheaper price instead of just selling the Defenders at the lower price - unless maybe there is a corporate price protection policy on the Defenders.
Old 11-02-20, 09:01 AM
Fluid
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Cooper ATX, I bought them from Discount Tire store and they cost ~ $200-225/tire installed. Longevity, I'd say about 40k/miles so based on what I'm reading the life is less than the Michelins. Pros - they're grippy and work well for my use of occasional offroad and in the snow. I don't use it in snow much, here in AZ, but it does snow up in the mountains and one New Years Eve we hit a horrible blizzard while heading to a cabin and while travling up the mountain there were cars that were barely crawling and the GX moved right by all of them.
Old 11-02-20, 09:39 AM
TDC1
Driver

Originally Posted by TDC1
After reading this thread I decided to purchase the Michelin Defender tires and called Sam's Club this morning. According to the service manager, Michelin produces a special model (XLT A/S) exclusively for Sam's Club that is identical to the Defenders. The XLT A/S is about $20 cheaper per tire. Has anyone else heard of this?

I don't see the logic in Michelin creating an identical tire to be sold for a cheaper price instead of just selling the Defenders at the lower price - unless maybe there is a corporate price protection policy on the Defenders.
I just called Goodyear and confirmed the XLT A/S is the same as the Defender - hope this helps anyone interested in the Defenders save a couple dollars.

Quick Reply: best tires for gx 470