GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Rear overhead DVD not playing

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-18, 08:03 AM
punklexus
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear overhead DVD not playing

Hello,
I recently acquired GX470 and when I put the DVD in the rear DVD system, it spits it out. the previous owner didn't give me the remote. Any idea what could be wrong?
Old 07-24-18, 03:37 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

If you have the factory rear entertainment center then you can only control it with the remote, You can buy on ebay. My concern is why is it spitting out the dvd disk. It should allow for it to play on front screen when parking brake is on.

What year is your gx470 ?
Old 07-24-18, 08:31 PM
punklexus
Driver

Originally Posted by mrblister
If you have the factory rear entertainment center then you can only control it with the remote, You can buy on ebay. My concern is why is it spitting out the dvd disk. It should allow for it to play on front screen when parking brake is on.

What year is your gx470 ?
It's 2004 without navigation and the front player doesn't accept DVD. It doesn't have the DVD icon either. For rear end, it should atleast take the dvd and get turned on. Previous owner didn't give me the remote. Is there a place where it could possibly be found like any slot etc ? on eBay remotes are around $100
Old 07-25-18, 06:56 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by punklexus
It's 2004 without navigation and the front player doesn't accept DVD. It doesn't have the DVD icon either. For rear end, it should atleast take the dvd and get turned on. Previous owner didn't give me the remote. Is there a place where it could possibly be found like any slot etc ? on eBay remotes are around $100
If your gx does have the rear entertainment system then in the console behind the cup holders there should be a dvd player that is in that area and is set with a door over it and the dvd player is installed vertically. There is a lock slide button and a door that you lift up and you should see the slot for dvd. My suspicion is that you do not have the factory option. You mentioned you have the drop down screen in the roof You may have an aftermarket system because I do not believe you could get a factory installed rear entertainment system with out the navigation system in the front dash. Reason is the factory DVD player works in tandem with the rear entertainment system. You can enter your vin and find out what options your truck shipped with
when it was new. I would contact the former owner and quiz him about did the system ever work . Does your drop down screen have a slot for a dvd player.

You made reference to your dvd or cd player ejecting the disk Is your player located in the glove box ? Is it a six disk player ?
What radio system is in your truck. Do you have any pictures of the drop down screen as well as the radio and alos of the console I mentioned where the dvd player should be installed?
Old 07-25-18, 07:02 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mrblister
If your gx does have the rear entertainment system then in the console behind the cup holders there should be a dvd player that is in that area and is set with a door over it and the dvd player is installed vertically. There is a lock slide button and a door that you lift up and you should see the slot for dvd. My suspicion is that you do not have the factory option. You mentioned you have the drop down screen in the roof You may have an aftermarket system because I do not believe you could get a factory installed rear entertainment system with out the navigation system in the front dash. Reason is the factory DVD player works in tandem with the rear entertainment system. You can enter your vin and find out what options your truck shipped with
when it was new. I would contact the former owner and quiz him about did the system ever work . Does your drop down screen have a slot for a dvd player.

You made reference to your dvd or cd player ejecting the disk Is your player located in the glove box ? Is it a six disk player ?
What radio system is in your truck. Do you have any pictures of the drop down screen as well as the radio and alos of the console I mentioned where the dvd player should be installed?
I re read your original post and in that you say that your overhead dvd player spits out the dvd. The factory installed dvd player
is not located in the overhead unit. It is in the console You for sure have aftermarket system and will need to contact the manufacturer of that system or go to audio shop to diagnose. It could be a number of problems that your incurring
Old 07-25-18, 07:05 AM
punklexus
Driver

I'll post the pictures to show it to you
Old 07-25-18, 05:22 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 745 Likes on 609 Posts

Apparently some later 2004 GX's came with a ceiling-mounted DVD player:

https://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.c...rimLevel=19100

But it's more common to see them in the console between the front seats:

https://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.c...rimLevel=19100

The p/n for the remote is one of:

Dealer price is between $70-90. I'm not sure which is for which option package. My guess (and it's purely that) is the first one is DVD only. The second is DVD + base audio system, and the last is DVD + Mark Levinson option. You should check with your dealer to be sure - they can look it up by your VIN.

Chip H.