GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

New Owner control arm

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-18, 01:22 PM
nbharathi
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New Owner control arm

Hello,

I have been looking around for a used 4Runner/GX and finally got a 2006 GX for 8k with 145k miles on it.

I had to do a lot of maintenance to get it up to current
1) Timing Belt & water pump replaced (Tuffy's)
2) Radiator & thermostat replaced (Tuffy's), along with differential, transmission and coolant (included with the radiator)
3) Spark plugs, Airfilter, Front end (brake pads, calipers, rotors, Brake fluid flush -- self)
4) Front wheel bearings (Blue pit, self)

Took the vehicle to Belle tire (Live in Metro Detroit) for a front end alignment, was told that the front lower control arm is loose and has to be replaced (was quoted 1200 for the passenger front). The part @ rockauto is 160 and thought should not be that bad (Saw some videos on other car models), so ventured into fixing this.

I searched the forum and the internet, I could not find a good video/instructions regarding the control arm replacement, can one of you fine folks point me in the right direction here (write up/video/specs etc.,), also on the torque spec (I found a document in one of the forum, but not sure whether that includes control arm)

Also does anyone know a trusted Toyota mechanic around metro Detroit? I took the vehicle to the Toyota dealership there were not willing to do the service on a lexus (Timing belt and water pump). Lexus dealership is a true stealership, quoted me 1200 for timing belt, when asked about water pump he said 289 for the part and installation is free, I pointed out that the water pump is included in the kit he quoted, he said he will get back to me later, never did.

Took the vehicle to another dealership (an hour drive) for the driveshaft, was quoted 550 for the front even though I asked about the TSB, then was quoted 1500 for the rear, ran away from them.

Any pointers on this regard would be helpful.

Thank you
Old 08-22-18, 02:21 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 748 Likes on 612 Posts

Can't help with a Detroit mechanic. But a TSB is not an extended warranty - it's just a document they send to their service techs telling them how to handle certain frequent problems they may find. Find a good local 4WD shop for the prop shaft. It's easy to replace, and the part is about $700-800.

Chip H.
Old 08-22-18, 07:28 PM
nbharathi
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply

Any pointers on the control arm?
Old 08-27-18, 06:03 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Be weary of cheap aftermarket control arms. The bushings suck in them, and won’t last near as long as OEM. My truck had one new aftermarket lower control arm in it when I bought it, 40k later the bushings were junk. I replaced both control arms myself with Lexus OEM for about $260/side. Also, that rear driveshaft is way overpriced, you can find a brand new OEM driveshaft on line for around $280. Also, any 09-current GX460 shaft will work as well, and is the updated design. If you have KDSS, your front lower control arms are considerably more expensive when going OEM though.
Old 08-27-18, 06:15 AM
nbharathi
Driver School Candidate

Thanks forthe reply.

I purchased moog control arm, guess I had to turn it in and get oem part.
Old 08-27-18, 06:51 AM
nbharathi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BlackCat81
Be weary of cheap aftermarket control arms. The bushings suck in them, and won’t last near as long as OEM. My truck had one new aftermarket lower control arm in it when I bought it, 40k later the bushings were junk. I replaced both control arms myself with Lexus OEM for about $260/side. Also, that rear driveshaft is way overpriced, you can find a brand new OEM driveshaft on line for around $280. Also, any 09-current GX460 shaft will work as well, and is the updated design. If you have KDSS, your front lower control arms are considerably more expensive when going OEM though.
I an reading some of the posts. I see that the oem camber bolts are well known to seize up on the toyotas and lexuses.

How good do you think moog greasable camber bolt kit is

Thank you
Old 08-27-18, 12:25 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nbharathi
I an reading some of the posts. I see that the oem camber bolts are well known to seize up on the toyotas and lexuses.

How good do you think moog greasable camber bolt kit is

Thank you
no idea, the passenger side on mine was seized, I bought all new OEM stuff thru Lexus when I did my control arms. I antiseized the crap out of all the bushing sleeves before I did it. I’m in AZ, so I don’t need to worry about winter or road salt.
Old 08-27-18, 06:06 PM
nbharathi
Driver School Candidate

no idea, the passenger side on mine was seized, I bought all new OEM stuff thru Lexus when I did my control arms. I antiseized the crap out of all the bushing sleeves before I did it. I’m in AZ, so I don’t need to worry about winter or road salt.
how did you get the seized up bolt out.
I tried using heat, hammer impact wrench, nothing budged, oh alsp a good long breaker bar. Nothing moved that thing, the only thing I did nkt do is saw through the bushings (do not have a lift)

Thanks
Old 08-27-18, 08:31 PM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nbharathi
how did you get the seized up bolt out.
I tried using heat, hammer impact wrench, nothing budged, oh alsp a good long breaker bar. Nothing moved that thing, the only thing I did nkt do is saw through the bushings (do not have a lift)

Thanks
mine came out with heat and an air hammer.
Old 08-28-18, 06:32 PM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've read a lot of guys who do conversion/lifts use Total Chaos Upper Control Arms. Or is it better to replace with Lexus OEM? Besides quality, would OEM provide more comfortable ride?
Old 08-29-18, 06:56 AM
BlackCat81
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Matsui
I've read a lot of guys who do conversion/lifts use Total Chaos Upper Control Arms. Or is it better to replace with Lexus OEM? Besides quality, would OEM provide more comfortable ride?
i run total Chaos uppers. Their benefit is strength, uniball ball joints for additional flex, and additional caster correction for lifted trucks. If you’re at stock height, there’s no need. If you’re lifted 2” or less, there’s really no need.
Old 08-29-18, 03:30 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

When lifted always go with aftermarket arms. The original arms are only good for OEM spec height.. +/- 1.5 inches.

Ive been reading up that a LOT of people have issues removing the arms due to seized cam bolts. :/ Makes me worried.

To rebuild the lower control arm you will need the lower ball joints + set of bushings. You can go polyurethane bushings for not too much $$ if you really wanted or get OEM for like $90. The balljoints can be had for $25-35 from Rockauto.

The problem about rebuilding is how much work itll take to press out the balljoint and bushings. Not sure what the underside of the cars look like in MI but if its rusted.. best bet is to just replace with new arms instead of rebuilding due to difficulty of pressing out things.
The following users liked this post:
2020Corona (06-14-20)
Old 08-30-18, 10:54 AM
nbharathi
Driver School Candidate

My camber bolt is seized so bad, i could not get it out with the air hammer or a hammer. Gave it to a shop, they are cutting through the bushings, they are down 6 blades and half way through the bushing, this is getting too pricey and hard :-(
The following users liked this post:
2020Corona (06-14-20)