GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

05 Lexus GX470 Stutter/Surge/Hesitation/Hiccup

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-18, 02:23 PM
Arty1009
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Lexus GX470 Stutter/Surge/Hesitation/Hiccup

Hello! I'm really excited to join this group. I was wondering if I could get some help with my 05 Lexus GX470. It has a little over 137k miles on it currently. I've noticed recently that when I am slowing down and getting ready to come to a complete stop that i can feel a little stutter, surge, hiccup. I'm more than positive it's not the breaks either. I also feel this when I am letting go of the brake pedal and when the car starts moving slowly by itself before I even press the accelerator down. It doesn't always do it though. Only sometimes.

I've taken it to two mechanics and they've both checked for pending codes as well and nothing. If there was a transmission issue happening wouldn't the scanners read it? I've changed the spark plugs, air filter, oil filter, and got a new oil filter and I can still feel it. He took my car out for a spin but said he couldn't feel anything weird or felt any kind of "misfire". I had a colleague of mine test drive it and I had to point out when I would feel the issue for him to realize what I was talking about.

Any idea what it could be or what I could do?? I don't want to just throw money everywhere.....

Thanks!!

Old 10-26-18, 04:17 AM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Vacuum leak?

10 characters
Old 10-26-18, 06:24 AM
Answer300
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts

O2, MAF, or cats is where I'd check. Process of elimination.
Old 10-26-18, 07:53 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 524 Likes on 436 Posts

Driveshaft clunk is my guess, common issue, there's a sticky at the top of this forum that goes into more detail.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...h-new-tsb.html
Old 10-26-18, 09:54 AM
Arty1009
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IanB2
Driveshaft clunk is my guess, common issue, there's a sticky at the top of this forum that goes into more detail.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...h-new-tsb.html
I just read about this! So I don't necessarily hear a clunk. More than anything I just feel the short little stutter or hiccup. Do you know if there's a way to know for certain if that's the case? I really appreciate you getting back to me on this.
Old 10-26-18, 09:59 AM
Arty1009
Driver School Candidate

@werewolf I'll for sure have to look into that. I've been finding info about an infamous driveshaft issue. I just wonder if there's a way to figure out whether it's that or not. I am by no means a mechanic and I don't want to get pushed around with different things mechanics claim it could be. I just changed the timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, and air filter on it. I'm not RICH yet.... hahaha.
Old 10-26-18, 10:16 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 147 Posts

Simple...grease the driveshaft and see if it goes away...if not...plan B
Old 10-26-18, 10:38 AM
Arty1009
Driver School Candidate

@ALAN553 Do you think if I take it into a shop and have them look at the driveshaft that they'll be able to see if it needs to be lubed up? I appreciate you chiming in also to help diagnose this. Thanks!
Old 10-26-18, 12:12 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 147 Posts

Can’t tell,by looking at it...should be done every 5000 miles in an 05 according to schedule. Older driveshaft design. 6 Zerk fittings. One on each shaft, front and rear and and 4 on u joints
Old 10-26-18, 12:26 PM
Arty1009
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ALAN553
Can’t tell,by looking at it...should be done every 5000 miles in an 05 according to schedule. Older driveshaft design. 6 Zerk fittings. One on each shaft, front and rear and and 4 on u joints
Okay! I hope that's the issue. I just don't want it to be a transmission problem. It's been scanned for any pending codes but nothing was showing up. I love my GX470 and I've only had for a little bit.
Old 10-26-18, 02:28 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 748 Likes on 612 Posts

The transmission does downshifts as you come to a stop. If those shifts are getting more pronounced, it's time for trying a fluid change (drain + fill)

Chip H.
Old 10-26-18, 02:37 PM
Arty1009
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chiph9
The transmission does downshifts as you come to a stop. If those shifts are getting more pronounced, it's time for trying a fluid change (drain + fill)

Chip H.
@chiph9 I was thinking about that also. I wish there was a better way to describe the sensation I feel. It's like a little stutter. The RPM's nor the speed change at all when it happens either.
Old 10-27-18, 12:47 AM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Arty1009
@werewolf I'll for sure have to look into that. I've been finding info about an infamous driveshaft issue. I just wonder if there's a way to figure out whether it's that or not. I am by no means a mechanic and I don't want to get pushed around with different things mechanics claim it could be. I just changed the timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, and air filter on it. I'm not RICH yet.... hahaha.
I'd start with simple, cheap repairs and see if it gets better.
- MAF cleaner - spray can from Pep boys (remove and clean the MAF sensor)
- Check air filter and associated plastics
(link to DIY vaccum leak)
https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/...-smoke-machine
- I think bad O2 sensors trip the check engine light - you can use an OBD code reader if this happens -- engines usually fail in the same ways so there should be a google for these codes
- if it's a CAT, then it gets expensive. CATs do fail but I would use a generic CAT to fix here (cost me US$350 for the part on my mom's MDX)

Hope that helps

Old 05-26-22, 02:26 PM
sethpnc
2nd gear

Did you ever figure this out? I just picked up a 2005 GX470 with 135k on it, and I feel this very similar, very subtle stuttering just as you describe.
Old 10-09-22, 01:02 PM
Shantheman
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Having same issue

Originally Posted by sethpnc
Did you ever figure this out? I just picked up a 2005 GX470 with 135k on it, and I feel this very similar, very subtle stuttering just as you describe.
Wondering if this was ever solved?
I just picked up a 2006 and changed the plugs and ignition coils. Still giving me a stuttering type hesitation. it happens usually when I’m cruising and gently push on the gas again. If I let up and then give it more gas it usually stops.
Not sure what to check next? I can’t imagine its transmission, it shifts great. Torque converter? Vacuum leak? MAF sensor?

Quick Reply: 05 Lexus GX470 Stutter/Surge/Hesitation/Hiccup