GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

0 mile range

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-18, 04:57 AM
dasgroup
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 0 mile range

Kid took GX out last weekend, Noticed low fuel light on, put $5 of gas in, So I go into it and check the range and it's at 0. It's still new to us so I'm still learning how much range there is after 0 miles. My ES had the light come on at about 3 gallons left, not sure on GX. No idea on how long it's been at 0 range or if it reset at all after he put in $5 of gas. He travels for business during the week so I can't even make him go and get gas, So what's the remaining gas when the light goes on and how far have you driven at 0 range?
Old 11-01-18, 07:24 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 524 Likes on 436 Posts

If it was that low when he put $5 in, it may not have even moved the float in the tank, confusing the computer that calculates the range. Fill the tank and see if it corrects.
Old 11-01-18, 09:10 AM
TWINHAULER
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Low gas warning light and range an MPG can fluctuate on these, so I dont trust it. Sometimes light will come on with 1/4 tank. Sometimes not til almost empty.
Old 11-01-18, 12:52 PM
dasgroup
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by TWINHAULER
Low gas warning light and range an MPG can fluctuate on these, so I dont trust it. Sometimes light will come on with 1/4 tank. Sometimes not til almost empty.
That's what I'm afraid of, and since it's new to us I don't trust them either. Will have to wait until somebody can follow to gas station just in case. Closest one has a big hill to overtake and if stuck at the light with low enough reserve in tank, trouble. Fill up will probably show 3 gallons left in tank.
Old 11-01-18, 03:10 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 146 Posts

I’ve run it down to “0”0. Two gallons were left...21 gallon fill
Old 11-01-18, 03:37 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

man... $5 in gas is like... only a little over a gallon.. If the low gas light is on youre on the "reserve" or the 2ish gallon mark. Why not just go to the nearest gas station to fill up the FULL tank? Highly doubt youre over 20 miles away from one so you should be okay. If not call AAA.

Side note.. if i had a son that puts only $5 of gas in a gas guzzler when the light was on... i dont have a son no more...
The following 2 users liked this post by vwynn:
IanB2 (11-02-18), RockfordRX (11-04-18)
Old 11-01-18, 05:13 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 746 Likes on 610 Posts

On a vehicle this old you want to never let it get below 1/4 tank. For two reasons:
  1. Over the years, the bottom of the tank will build up "trash" from gas stations that didn't have a filter on their pumps. You don't want to suck that up, so keeping 1/4 tank in there lets the fuel pump draw (hopefully) cleaner fuel.
  2. The fuel pump uses the fuel to keep it cool. If you run the tank below 1/4 full, the pump could overheat.
You don't want to have to replace the fuel pump - it's a big hassle since the tank has to be dropped to gain access, and it'll be in the $500 range to put a new one in.

Chip H.
The following users liked this post:
IanB2 (11-02-18)
Old 11-01-18, 05:34 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 146 Posts

Don’t run your gas tank empty, it will clog your fuel pump (!?)
If you are a millennial or Gen Xer, there is a very good chance that your father taught you to NEVER run your gas tank completely empty because it would clog up your fuel pump and you would shorten the life of your engine components. We have heard this many times ourselves, and we understand why it would be a concern, since fuel pump replacement is not a trivial repair. The real question is, though, does this sentiment hold true today?

Nearly every vehicle on the road has a fuel pump inside the gas tank. This is true. This fuel pump is located right down at the bottom of the tank to ensure that it can get every last drop of fuel from the tank should you run dry. It is also true that your fuel tank could have dirt and debris in it, possibly from a corroding fuel tank, or condensation accumulating after many short trips around the neighbourhood. When you combine these two truths though, does that mean the dirt and debris will clog your fuel pump if you run your tank dry?

MYTH! (mostly)
Your Dad may have been right to avoid a low fuel tank in vehicles from his generation. Many were manufactured with less sophisticated rust protection and fuel tanks would begin to corrode and rust way sooner than they ever would today. Fuel pumps were also less advanced and were more prone to getting clogged. Today, modern fuel pumps have a protective screen or porous sock-like cover that catches any contaminants before they enter the fuel system, and any tiny bits that might get through would normally be caught by a second filter closer to the engine. Even if these filters were not in place, all of the dirt and debris would get into the fuel pump even on a full tank, since they sink to the bottom of the tank where the fuel pump resides anyway.

One thing to note is that your fuel pump is lubricated and cooled by the fuel that passes through it. This means that while it may be ok to wait for the fuel light before filling up, it is not a good practice to run your tank completely dry to the point of engine failure. Running bone dry is one way to cause premature fuel pump failure. The good news is that the “low fuel” light comes on when there’s anywhere from 4-8 litres left in reserve, which is plenty to keep the pump safe while you get to a gas station.
Old 11-01-18, 07:28 PM
NTH
Instructor

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

^ Agreed Alan. The pick up is at the bottom, not the middle nor top of tank so...
A buddy and I dropped a 4Runner fuel tank with nearly 400k miles on the original pump. Sediments were negligible. The sock around the pick up was very clean.
Old 11-02-18, 05:03 AM
dasgroup
Pit Crew

Took 21 gallons, looks like low fuel light comes on with around 3 gallons left. Will have to monitor range readings and compare to actual usage.
Old 11-02-18, 03:16 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ALAN553
Don’t run your gas tank empty, it will clog your fuel pump (!?)
If you are a millennial or Gen Xer, there is a very good chance that your father taught you to NEVER run your gas tank completely empty because it would clog up your fuel pump and you would shorten the life of your engine components. We have heard this many times ourselves, and we understand why it would be a concern, since fuel pump replacement is not a trivial repair. The real question is, though, does this sentiment hold true today?

Nearly every vehicle on the road has a fuel pump inside the gas tank. This is true. This fuel pump is located right down at the bottom of the tank to ensure that it can get every last drop of fuel from the tank should you run dry. It is also true that your fuel tank could have dirt and debris in it, possibly from a corroding fuel tank, or condensation accumulating after many short trips around the neighbourhood. When you combine these two truths though, does that mean the dirt and debris will clog your fuel pump if you run your tank dry?
MYTH! (mostly)
Your Dad may have been right to avoid a low fuel tank in vehicles from his generation. Many were manufactured with less sophisticated rust protection and fuel tanks would begin to corrode and rust way sooner than they ever would today. Fuel pumps were also less advanced and were more prone to getting clogged. Today, modern fuel pumps have a protective screen or porous sock-like cover that catches any contaminants before they enter the fuel system, and any tiny bits that might get through would normally be caught by a second filter closer to the engine. Even if these filters were not in place, all of the dirt and debris would get into the fuel pump even on a full tank, since they sink to the bottom of the tank where the fuel pump resides anyway.

One thing to note is that your fuel pump is lubricated and cooled by the fuel that passes through it. This means that while it may be ok to wait for the fuel light before filling up, it is not a good practice to run your tank completely dry to the point of engine failure. Running bone dry is one way to cause premature fuel pump failure. The good news is that the “low fuel” light comes on when there’s anywhere from 4-8 litres left in reserve, which is plenty to keep the pump safe while you get to a gas station.

i agree with this post.... I still dont see the logic behind the thinking of trash building up in the gas tank. Its literally a smooth tank with a feed on the bottom... eventually that "trash" is going to get sucked in and "screened/filtered" by the pump whether you like it or not.