GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Black rod coming out of inside RF seat track?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-18, 04:34 PM
dtaylor
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow Black rod coming out of inside RF seat track?

2007 GX470, 160k on the clock. Recently noticed this black plastic rod sticking out the back of the ls / inside seat track of the RF seat. Never had this before.

Anyone know what this might be?
Old 11-01-18, 04:58 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by dtaylor
2007 GX470, 160k on the clock. Recently noticed this black plastic rod sticking out the back of the ls / inside seat track of the RF seat. Never had this before.

Anyone know what this might be?
I have a 2004 and had same issue. The truck was under warranty at that time they replaced the entire track bracket . It was no charge to me but I know what the part cost was listed for PASSENGERS SEAT RAIL ASSEMBLE $ 1965.00 . When I noticed it the black slide like piece would not go in it stayed out. I was surprised they had to replace the whole frame rail.
Old 11-01-18, 09:05 PM
dtaylor
Pole Position

No way this is the best fix. I mean anything that it built can be rebuilt.

Anyone else ever had to deal with this?
Old 11-02-18, 05:17 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

No way this is the best fix. I mean anything that it built can be rebuilt.

Anyone else ever had to deal with this?
Don't shoot the messenger if you don't like the message. If I had to pay for it I am sure I would of took another path. The dealership has the luxury of just changing the part instead of fixing the part because of extended warranty. In my opinion if it happed once ok if it happened twice there is a trend . Maybe others have had this issue
Old 11-02-18, 08:09 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 525 Likes on 437 Posts

Then see if you can figure out how to fix it, or see if you can find one in a part out?

Posting a pic of the issue might help others that haven't had the problem provide suggestions on how to remedy.
Old 11-02-18, 08:42 AM
dtaylor
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mrblister
Don't shoot the messenger if you don't like the message. If I had to pay for it I am sure I would of took another path. The dealership has the luxury of just changing the part instead of fixing the part because of extended warranty. In my opinion if it happed once ok if it happened twice there is a trend . Maybe others have had this issue
lol...not shooting the messenger, and your post is helpful, but I know there are too many smart people on here for there not to be a better fix than replacing the whole track. I agree that sine we know at the very least that 2 of us have had it happen, there is an issue. I bet there are others who have had it happen, and someone has a fix.
The following users liked this post:
jjb579 (12-14-23)
Old 11-02-18, 10:02 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

lol...not shooting the messenger, and your post is helpful, but I know there are too many smart people on here for there not to be a better fix than replacing the whole track. I agree that sine we know at the very least that 2 of us have had it happen, there is an issue. I bet there are others who have had it happen, and someone has a fix.

I have no picture to share since mine was fixed 4 years ago. Good luck
Old 11-06-18, 10:41 AM
dtaylor
Pole Position

As soon as I get a chance I'm going to pull the seat and see what I can see. I may or may not find a solution but I'll have the chance to get a good scrubbing of that hard to reach area between the seat and console. If I can figure out a solution I'll post pics, etc.
Old 11-19-18, 06:00 AM
bobbysack
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you find a solution to this? I am new here but I was just looking around and found this thread. I have the same issue on the passengers seat… I have two rods sticking out, one towards the front and one towards the back of the seat. I also have a rod slightly protruding on the drivers side near the front. Hopefully there’s a better fix than $2000 per rail
Old 11-26-18, 05:53 AM
dtaylor
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bobbysack
Did you find a solution to this? I am new here but I was just looking around and found this thread. I have the same issue on the passengers seat… I have two rods sticking out, one towards the front and one towards the back of the seat. I also have a rod slightly protruding on the drivers side near the front. Hopefully there’s a better fix than $2000 per rail
Not yet. May have time to get into it in a week or so. I plan on removing the seat, flipping it and seeing what's up. my initial thought is that a foreign object got stuck in the rail and forced the rod past a factory stop. We shall see.
Old 04-15-19, 12:40 PM
philipphry
Driver School Candidate

Any updates?

I have one of the rods coming out of my passenger seat. If anyone has a solution before I end up disassembling it or replacing it, I'd be interested in hearing it.

Thanks!
Old 04-19-19, 07:12 PM
Answer300
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

My wife's has done this too! Once we get a good sunny day we're gonna address it and see what we come up with.
Old 05-03-20, 10:16 AM
MickyT
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone find a solution to this issue? My passenger seat now has the same problem. Weird.
Old 11-23-22, 10:38 AM
prich54
2nd gear

If anyone has any ideas, my RX450h has the same issue.
Old 11-23-22, 12:14 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 753 Likes on 617 Posts

Sorry, this is the GX forum.

I would check eBay - you can find entire seat frames for $200-300. You would need to transfer over everything else - foam pads, seat covers, plastic trim, wiring, sensors, as they're just the metal parts.

Not sure if Lexus uses hog-rings to hold the leather to the frame, but if they do - you will also need a hog-ring pliers.

Chip H.

Quick Reply: Black rod coming out of inside RF seat track?