GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Crazy Electrical Behavior

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-18, 05:33 AM
jcolson79
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crazy Electrical Behavior

Yesterday my car took a long time to start and went downhill from there...almost all of the lights on the dash stayed on with the DAC and trac control blinking. Also, only the high beams would turn on, the low beams would not. The other (really) strange thing was that the speedometer and radio would only work when I was breaking or deaccelerating...they would turn off when I accelerated. I stopped by Autozone and plugged in the car...no errors. We tested the battery...no issues, however, the battery tester indicated that the alternator may be bad. I drove it home. This morning the car started fine and halfway to work more lights came on and all of the lights in the car started to brighten and dim. HELP.
Old 11-13-18, 11:03 AM
gwebster
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jcolson79
Yesterday my car took a long time to start and went downhill from there...almost all of the lights on the dash stayed on with the DAC and trac control blinking. Also, only the high beams would turn on, the low beams would not. The other (really) strange thing was that the speedometer and radio would only work when I was breaking or deaccelerating...they would turn off when I accelerated. I stopped by Autozone and plugged in the car...no errors. We tested the battery...no issues, however, the battery tester indicated that the alternator may be bad. I drove it home. This morning the car started fine and halfway to work more lights came on and all of the lights in the car started to brighten and dim. HELP.
I think it likely is a bad alternator. I replaced my alternator about a year ago, and I recall that there were some crazy electrical type issues before replacing (lights flashing, etc). However, in my case the issues happened just before the vehicle shutdown completely and I had to have it towed to shop for alternator replacement.