GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Buying 08/09 GX...need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-18, 11:35 AM
druryu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying 08/09 GX...need help

Hey guys new to the forum. Im in the process of trying to buy a clean 08/09 470. Wanted to know any advice or insight on any differences in the 2 years and beyond that if the you still think the 470 is a better value than the 460. I have no problem paying 15-20k in cash for a clean truck with 100-ish or less miles. Ive found a few good ones but wanted to know what your guys exp is on reliability long term, if you'd have any reservations with buying that year. Also seems like the KDSS is a rare option on those trucks, i can live without but how big of a deal is that? Other than timing belt/water pump at 90K/9 years any major stuff to look for? Id like to own the car 5-8 years, I only do about 8-9k miles a year. Just want a good, reliable truck for going to the lake, driving 2 miles to work, hauling the dogs and family and in the snow. I thoroughly check car fax/auto checks, but also am vigilant with the underbody/ NO RUST. what else do you guys think? appreciate all the feedback in advance and look forward to being a gx owner. Chris
Old 11-18-18, 01:21 PM
dasgroup
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

As far as I know 08 and 09 are the same. I'm looking for the right 08/09 since middle son really wants to take my 05 with him in the spring. Spent 6 months looking for my 05. Can't comment on the 470 vs 460, I prefer the styling of the 470. It's become the go to to drive for just about everyone in my house. Originally purchased for daughter to learn to drive on and be able to get around in the winter since wife demanded her have an suv and sit up high.

Good luck with the hunt.
Old 11-18-18, 02:40 PM
druryu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dasgroup
As far as I know 08 and 09 are the same. I'm looking for the right 08/09 since middle son really wants to take my 05 with him in the spring. Spent 6 months looking for my 05. Can't comment on the 470 vs 460, I prefer the styling of the 470. It's become the go to to drive for just about everyone in my house. Originally purchased for daughter to learn to drive on and be able to get around in the winter since wife demanded her have an suv and sit up high.

Good luck with the hunt.
hey thanks for the insight. Hope to find one soon.
Old 11-18-18, 05:47 PM
RockfordRX
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I purchased my 09 GX470 with 115k miles for $18k this summer after a 6 month hunt. Found a truck from Georgia (no rust) with all service up-to-date (timing belt, water pump, radiator, battery, brakes, etc). Changed all of the fluids and not am enjoying it very much. Keep an eye on shocks leaking. Mine was and I noticed it the day after the purchase, so I brought it back to the dealer and they agreed to split the total cost with me ($900 for part and labor, so I pain $450). I had to change a CV boot myself, which involved removing the entire axle and disassembling almost the entire driver side front suspension, but it is better than waiting for the CV axle to corrode and cause other problems.
You will know once you find one and go ahead and pull the trigger. You will not be disappointed.

Good luck!

Max
Old 11-18-18, 06:18 PM
druryu
Driver School Candidate

Hey thanks. Ive found an 09’ local 111k miles in the low 16k range. Thinking i may offer but needs the timing belt/water pump done. carfax is clean, 2 owners and the underbody/chassis is incredibly clean clear of rust. Sliver with gray leather, inside is clean of smoke, and in very good shape. that sound like a reasonable deal? Its a new car dealer that got it in trade. How would i check for a leak in the rear shocks?
Old 11-18-18, 06:21 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by druryu
Hey thanks. Ive found an 09’ local 111k miles in the low 16k range. Thinking i may offer but needs the timing belt/water pump done. carfax is clean, 2 owners and the underbody/chassis is incredibly clean clear of rust. Sliver with gray leather, inside is clean of smoke, and in very good shape. that sound like a reasonable deal? Its a new car dealer that got it in trade. How would i check for a leak in the rear shocks?
you will see evidence of the oil dripping on the shock body
The following users liked this post:
RockfordRX (11-21-18)
Old 11-21-18, 07:12 PM
RockfordRX
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Ditto.
Look for a wet-looking shock. Mine was actually actively leaking, so it left a puddle on my garage floor. Compare it to the opposite side (usually dry and dusty vs wet and shiny).
Sounds like you have a great deal waiting for you! I'd start negotiating at $15k and mention the $1,200 timing belt/water pump replacement cost your anticipating. Also make a note of the age of the tires as even if they look good, if they are 5-6 years old and begin to dry rot, you're looking for another $1,000 expense right away. Consider everything, make sure you can live with the rest of minor things and go for it!
Any car, a perfect one or one no so perfect that is 10 years old may need those things replaced anyway!
Old 11-22-18, 11:32 AM
deeken
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

That timing belt, water pump, thermostat and possibly radiator job could be north of $2k. So you'll be looking to dish out another couple of grand as soon as you get it. Also check for CV boot leaks. As folks here said, use all of these things as a bargaining chip.
Old 11-23-18, 11:38 AM
druryu
Driver School Candidate

Came across one thats in St.Louis, guys asking 20k, odometer says 43K miles. seems hard to believe but it seems to check out. but its a one owner, clean auto-check, plaza-lexus records. Car looks to be in excellent shape but i done miles are really low would you guys have any apprehension ? thanks
Old 11-23-18, 07:10 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

[QUOTE=druryu;10366536]Came across one thats in St.Louis, guys asking 20k, odometer says 43K miles. seems hard to believe but it seems to check out. but its a one owner, clean auto-check, plaza-lexus records. Car looks to be in excellent shape but i done miles are really low would you guys have any apprehension ? thanks[/QUOTE

traded my 04 for an 09 3 years ago....had 30,000 miles on the odometer. The original owner lived at her Lexus dealer...got sucked into every service they offered at 5000 mile intervals. Fluids flushed, fuel injectors cleaned, alignments, brakes cleaned, a full interior and exterior detail twice a year. So, those deals are out there...
Old 11-23-18, 07:45 PM
dasgroup
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Before I got mine I saw an 06 with high 30k on it. Passed because paint work dodn't match. Older owner drive by feel. Just passed on an 04 with 30's on it. Really want newer and loaded. 08/09 are the same so that is my sweet spot. Took me 6 months to find the one I have with 77k on it now.
The following users liked this post:
RockfordRX (11-24-18)
Old 11-24-18, 08:09 AM
Rygar470
Lead Lap

Received 136 Likes on 117 Posts

Interesting thread, as that is exactly what I would be looking at, an '08/'09 for the darker wood interior, DVD/Nav, etc..
Old 11-28-18, 12:26 PM
BurningRed
Driver School Candidate

I live in the St.Louis area and bought a 07 GX470 for $10,700 at 160k miles . It was in good condition no rock chips in the front, no rust and had all the fluids changed by the previous owners, new tires last year as well as brake pads and calipers. I had to change the rear calipers a month in because it came to limp mode. Make sure you check the calipers because those are common as well.
Old 11-28-18, 02:06 PM
Rygar470
Lead Lap

Received 136 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by BurningRed
I live in the St.Louis area and bought a 07 GX470 for $10,700 at 160k miles . It was in good condition no rock chips in the front, no rust and had all the fluids changed by the previous owners, new tires last year as well as brake pads and calipers. I had to change the rear calipers a month in because it came to limp mode. Make sure you check the calipers because those are common as well.
Wow, looks like I need to be looking outside of my comfort zone/area. The '07s around here go for 14-16 with about 160-180k miles on the clock.
Old 11-28-18, 02:29 PM
jaynar
Driver School Candidate

I had a '04 GX470 bought with 72K miles 1 owner. Bought because the old lady had EVERYTHING done at the dealer including timing belt etc, even the key battery lol! One weak spot people forget to check at the rear air bags for the suspension, if there's a lot of "bounce" that's most likely your issue, assuming you have KDSS. Mine were done right before I got the car. I did FJ wheels, Good Year Wranglers, and a bull bar for an aggressive look. Good luck and enjoy!

Quick Reply: Buying 08/09 GX...need help