GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 - whining noise.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-18, 07:42 AM
Levon58
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GX470 - whining noise.

Hello everybody! I’m new in this forum, and I thing it would be helpful to hear your suggestions. I have 2007GX470 with 81K on it. Three days ago when I came home after driving about 12 miles from mother in law’s house, l noticed the strange whining noise coming from from front end of my track. Noise was following the RPM ‘s. I stop the engine and restarted in few minutes. It didn’t come out. Next morning when I turned on the engine, I heard the same noise but after driving maybe one block in my neighborhood it stopped and never come back! One of my suggestions is that I forgot to release a parking brake when I drove to home. It very difficult to recall because when I first heard that noise I stopped next to the my mailbox,which is on the hill and I always apply a parking brake there, or I drove whith my parking brake applied. Track acceleration became even smoother, but I still can fill a difference. What do you thing . Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-28-18, 06:33 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 743 Likes on 607 Posts

Have a friend rev the engine while you attempt to locate where the noise is coming from under the hood. You may have to remove the trim panels in the engine bay to do this. Also listen in the front wheel-wells.

Chip H.
Old 11-28-18, 07:12 PM
frhill
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

It may be your secondary air injection system. Theres in impeller beneath the intake manifold that essentially starts to disintegrate. This happened to my 2008 GX @ 215K miles and it cost about $2200 to repair at the Lexus dealership.

I was told that eventually that the engine would lose power over time and when the system complete fails the engine will not start.

My symptoms were the during initial start in the morning, it sound like a train horn but would go away after the engine warmed up. After warm-up if I were to stop and start the engine no sound was heard. The engine light eventually came on during the second day of driving. I really thought about ditching it for a new GX460...but I really like the GX470 better and figured hey, its a couple car payments.
Old 11-30-18, 09:13 PM
Levon58
Driver School Candidate

Thank you very much guys for your responses, but I think it is something else because check engine light is off , but I drove all this days.
Old 12-01-18, 07:39 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 743 Likes on 607 Posts

A bad alternator bearing won't set the check engine light. Nor will a bad water pump (until it's too late)

Chip H.
Old 12-01-18, 09:20 AM
Levon58
Driver School Candidate

But is possible to drive for five days with bad alternator bearing,and didn’t hear any sound ?
Old 05-08-19, 03:29 PM
GnarlyGX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whining Sound

What’s up!
Just had the same issue and it ended up being the power steering return hose. Just an FYI. Took care of it at Lexus.
Old 05-09-19, 05:38 AM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

It’s probably just low on power steering fluid.

And don’t pay between $2k and $4k for the SAIS repair... the secondary air pump is mounted under the intake and has a lifetime foam filter... this foam filter falls apart over time, gets sucked into the pump, and chews up the plastic impeller.
It is literally the worst designed secondary air system ever built.
It’s job is to simply pump fresh air into the exhaust manifold to help heat the cat quicker... so it is for cold morning emission efficiency. It just speed up the process.

You can can get an eliminator kit for $100-$200... depending if you want a hardwire or plug and play.
The hewitt SAIS toyota bypass is by far the best at $200.. it takes 15-20 min to install and has block plates so the exhaust can’t travel backwards into the intake if your combi-valves are stuck open from pieces of fan blades.

This eliminator kit will pass all emission testing. It basically tells the ecu that the secondary air test was just performed and sets the readiness code.

If you you choose to fix the SAIS system... you might as well set a personal maintenance item in your reminders to replace it again in another 100k-150k miles. Lol
The following users liked this post:
Rygar470 (05-09-19)
Old 03-05-21, 09:36 AM
Levon58
Driver School Candidate

Default Whining noise.

Ok guys I’m back with a good and a bad news. The good news is I finally found the source of that whining noise. It is an alternator (bad diodes in the voltage regulator). Bad news is I don’t know what to buy to replace it. I called Toyota dealer $322+ Tax for remanufactured one, called Lexus $406.79+$75 for core also for remanufactured alternator. They both don’t sell a new alternators. I don’t know what to buy - remanufactured alternator from dealers or a brand new Duralast Gold alternator from Autozone. Any suggestions?
Old 03-05-21, 01:03 PM
MDSteamer
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Levon58
Ok guys I’m back with a good and a bad news. The good news is I finally found the source of that whining noise. It is an alternator (bad diodes in the voltage regulator). Bad news is I don’t know what to buy to replace it. I called Toyota dealer $322+ Tax for remanufactured one, called Lexus $406.79+$75 for core also for remanufactured alternator. They both don’t sell a new alternators. I don’t know what to buy - remanufactured alternator from dealers or a brand new Duralast Gold alternator from Autozone. Any suggestions?
Look for a local Alternator / Starter rebuild shop. Anyone good gives 3 months to a year warranty. Should be about 1/3 cost to rebuild.