GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Drivetrain Whine @ Highway Speed

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-20, 08:31 PM
gx522
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UtahMTB
Update for anyone still following this.
Changed all fluids, Rear Diff, Front Diff, Transfer Case. Fluids out were not too bad, but clean fresh stuff going in was better.
Droning noise still there.
Had the GX at my trusted mechanic and while they had it had the manager go for a ride with me and listened while we drove. The droning noise was independent of gas on/gas off, started up around 35 mph and would increase and decrease with speed, but was not changed by what gear we were in, accelerating, decelerating, etc. Our best guess was that it was the rear passenger wheel bearing. Up on the lift so they could walk around under the vehicle while it was "moving" confirmed that was the source of the noise.
We both agreed it was nothing of immediate need, but also not something to be ignored for an extended time.
So, a few weeks later had the chance to have it in for the replacement. I do lots of the work on this truck myself, but after watching some videos and reading some descriptions of changing these rear wheel bearings, it was not something I was interested in taking on myself. Could easily have handled rear wheel/brake disassembly, but did not want to deal with what seems to be needed jigs for a hydraulic press to get things apart. Left that to my mechanic, who also had to take it to a specialty machine shop somewhere in town for that part.
With the diagnosed bad wheel bearing replaced, the droning sound is GONE. Soooooo much quieter now. Can now hear just the slightest of drivetrain whine when on the gas steady at 60mph +, but feel this is just normal sound for the full time 4wd.
In my case this was definitely the wheel bearing that was on it's way out.

What did it cost to get your rears done?

My nose is most noticeable at 50mph. I just replaced my front hub assemblies today with assembled units from blue pit bearings. Went for a test drive and still have this sound you describe. When i did the tests to see which bearing was bad i definitely felt that the right rear was bad. I talked to Andy at blue pit bearings for a while and he said the rears don't fail nearly as often as the fronts and he recommends replacing them somewhere at or near the the 100k mark. I have 127k on mine. I don't feel like I wasted money because I knew they would need to be done sooner or later and am going to keep this truck in the best shape as possible. I will do the rears next and be done with this part of the maintenance for a long while.
Old 11-02-20, 07:46 AM
dblshock
Driver

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by dblshock
I hardly ever use the diff-lock button..

So I saw a vid where a GX guy had this so he cycled the diff lock in for a few miles and it went away. So I tried that and shoot, whine is gone.
I should have mentioned I cycled through the Hi/N/Lo in those few miles as well.
Old 01-07-21, 07:13 AM
frhill
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I had my 08' GX470 serviced yesterday, CV Boot was slinging grease, my dealer wanted to flush the transmission, power steering and brakes. With 244K, I decided to have the additional recommendations done. $1400. Yeah, significant cash outlay, but I going for the million mile club, or Congress outlaw's my fossil fuel burning beast -- which ever comes first.

Anyhow, I'm posting here, because of my original post that started this thread. The dealer put me in a 2020 GX460 loaner. And what do you know, between 70-80mph, I heard a slight whine that goes away when I let up on the accelerator pedal. Same noise I hear in my GX470, although slightly more muffled -- assuming the new GX has better sound insulation.

BTW, I noticed that the new GX460 has a much more controlled - untruck like ride that I could really appreciate. It would make my bi-annual trip from St. Louis to Williamsburg,VA less exhausting (my son attends William & Mary). However, I'm not willing to part with 70K for a loaded GX460, and maybe I could consider used, but there's something nostalgic about driving my GX470...in many ways its a beast, but it's also like an old pair of shoes, there are many aspects that I'm comfortable with: Roughly $200-$2000 in annual maintenance, prefer the interior/exterior aesthetics And to me, the 2UZ-FE is a better engine.

Also, sorry for prolonging the REPLY, but once again I'm incredulous at the base sound system in my 2014 GS350 AWD with luxury package. The GX460 sound system is a far cry from the base system in the GS and with the same tone settings. I found the same with the ES loaners. It may be my ears, but I've come to believe the the base system sounds even better than the vaulted Mark Levinson system available in the GS. And, of course the Mark Levinson system in my GX470 sounds much better the the base system in the GX460 -- but not as good as my GS base system. Weird?

Last edited by frhill; 01-07-21 at 07:50 AM.
Old 01-08-21, 09:31 AM
vxphan
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gx522

My nose is most noticeable at 50mph. I just replaced my front hub assemblies today with assembled units from blue pit bearings. Went for a test drive and still have this sound you describe. When i did the tests to see which bearing was bad i definitely felt that the right rear was bad. I talked to Andy at blue pit bearings for a while and he said the rears don't fail nearly as often as the fronts and he recommends replacing them somewhere at or near the the 100k mark. I have 127k on mine. I don't feel like I wasted money because I knew they would need to be done sooner or later and am going to keep this truck in the best shape as possible. I will do the rears next and be done with this part of the maintenance for a long while.
I have the same noise from the right rear, at first, I thought the rear bearing went out. I was worry that a big job and cost a lot, so I left the truck running for another 20K miles after having all tires balanced. It turned out, in my case, the front passenger bearing premature failure will cause that noise and transmit to the rear thru the frame before it getting worst and change the noise to rumble. That is when I have Lexus replaced the front passenger wheel bearing, then all the noise were gone. You may want to have Lexus check it out before doing anything with the rear. That may save some money. The Lexus Mechanic told me the same, the rear bearings don't fail unless you swim the truck often and let the water get in the rear differential.

Last edited by vxphan; 01-08-21 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-08-21, 09:48 AM
UtahMTB
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gx522

Sorry, I just realised I never answered your question on this.
It was about $500 at my trusted independent mechanic.

They had put it up on the lift with someone in it and running it up to speed it was clear that it was the rear passenger bearing making the noise. While driving it was not so obvious, but up on the lift, no questions.

Last edited by UtahMTB; 01-08-21 at 10:10 AM. Reason: edited for addition
Old 01-09-21, 10:50 AM
gx522
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vxphan
I have the same noise from the right rear, at first, I thought the rear bearing went out. I was worry that a big job and cost a lot, so I left the truck running for another 20K miles after having all tires balanced. It turned out, in my case, the front passenger bearing premature failure will cause that noise and transmit to the rear thru the frame before it getting worst and change the noise to rumble. That is when I have Lexus replaced the front passenger wheel bearing, then all the noise were gone. You may want to have Lexus check it out before doing anything with the rear. That may save some money. The Lexus Mechanic told me the same, the rear bearings don't fail unless you swim the truck often and let the water get in the rear differential.
So it turned out my right rear bearing was bad, which is what my tests told me it was. I had a toyota dealer do both rears, for 1800. It was pricey but its done and the whine is gone. with new front and rear bearings done I'm good for a long time.