GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Stuck sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-18, 01:02 AM
plarosa9
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck sunroof

Is there a way to manually close a sunroof on a 2003 GX 470 that is stuck in the open position?
Old 12-11-18, 02:00 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 753 Likes on 617 Posts

I've never seen a crank for one, but it's possible if you remove the headliner a socket for one might be revealed (I have no insider info on this) (If you remove the headliner, be very careful as it wrinkles easily and is a $1200+ part)

Chip H.
Old 12-11-18, 08:07 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 525 Likes on 437 Posts

If there is a manual crank it should be behind the maplights/roof console, but I have no experience with this on the GX's.
Old 12-28-18, 03:38 PM
surfing2go
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy moonroof stuck open

No Manual cranks. have disassembled just about whole roof interior, ready to remove moonroof all together just to get the passenger side to move. Has been working fine till last night, no noises or misalignments, smooth all the time, grease is messy as suppose to be, no gray matter in gear, has nice creamy white moly in it, Cannot budge the passenger side to get it loose to move. The motor works fine, can feel the gear slip on cable, when activated the the left side moves a tiny bit then back to its full open but right side does nothing? I saw the Man777 input for the wind deflector but this doesn't say anything about it locking it in place, I'm goin to check out the cable remove section in his download to see if it will move the right side or get it unstuck? To answer your question anyway, this is where i'm at!!! Pissing me off and it started to rain, have plastic cover for now and all molding is loose and cant drive it with headliner hanging down, its a mess, don't wish this crap on anybody!!! Good Luck, still looking for threads for a fix, although i might be the only one to do it!
Old 12-30-18, 12:09 PM
MTD1
Driver School Candidate

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

Watching your post. Would like to see photos. Mine stopped working, except it Makes a grinding noise when I use the switch. I've been searching the forum and was hoping you had found a manual crank. To complicate the matter my drains are clogged, It been raining for 40 days and nights and my floorboards are flooded. It needs to be repaired. I'm not sure I can do it myself, but I also have limited $$$s I really want to spend on a 12 year old truck that will not improve its' performance or life (other than the floor boards and carpet).
Old 12-31-18, 06:04 PM
VoodooFarm
Driver School Candidate

"Manually"

You can't exactly pull it shut if its stuck. But, if you press it to close and it reaches a point then retracts again, just press the close button off and on super quick. It'll move inch by inch and you SHOULD be able to close it. It helps it guide down the rails without the usual issues if you just press the button on and off.

Then just never open it again like I did.

Hopefully this is helpful even though 3 weeks have gone by.
Old 01-01-19, 02:42 PM
surfing2go
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MTD1
Watching your post. Would like to see photos. Mine stopped working, except it Makes a grinding noise when I use the switch. I've been searching the forum and was hoping you had found a manual crank. To complicate the matter my drains are clogged, It been raining for 40 days and nights and my floorboards are flooded. It needs to be repaired. I'm not sure I can do it myself, but I also have limited $$$s I really want to spend on a 12 year old truck that will not improve its' performance or life (other than the floor boards and carpet).
Got mine fixed, actually all you need is help! to lift the whole sunroof down once the headliner is down, Here is what i Did, since last, other post help little, as in start in the back and remove handles all 8, had issues with front ones, screwes are longer on the front 2 ONLY! now start to unbuckel/unhook all plastic from wheel whale up, just loosen lower parts to get the second layer loose, to get to the headliner free, remove rear light and push seatbelt thru hole in headliner, i have a video unit above second row, i had to remove, not sure if had too but did. remove all sun visors 4 the philips with the square clips were the hardest, need a pair of pliers to pull out, thought it was stripped, they are a wood screw and just sperates plastic to lock in. So you got pillares popped off and seat belts just leave it loose and hanging down, the a/c vents are in the headliner no need to remove. the cable to the rear light and video are suck to the top of headliner no easy disconnect, just leave it on once headliner is down on headrests, you will have to remove the sticky tape carefully so you can reuse it under pad in rear, you are going to have to remove the headliner or be careful working on top of it IF you can get to the nuts holding the sunroof up. the 10mm nuts holding the sunroof up will lower it, this is where you need help to hold it up so it can be dropped down to get to what needs to be gotten too! Of all things that stopped it from working was a ****ing TWIG about an inch long by less than or equal to 1/8 in. thick...Shiiiiiiiiit their are two black plastic locks on both side of rear , when push IN lock the window, this is where my twig was stuck under the little locking arm. really stuck, i removed the whole moon/sunroof out of car and onto a safe flat work area where we found the issue, cleaned it all up, just dust and some leaves, on passenger side was the twig, that side, the locking tab didnt move much. soaked it (wd40)and stuck whatever i could find in the channel to free it up and removed the little ****!!! I see why the dealer would charge so much for fix, the previous owner just paid up the *** for everthing, they put it back together really ****ty, loose nuts ect.. new motor probably, and grease. Anyway once you remove and clean that area it will free up the window to move in and out easily. clean and grease with white moly if need be just the slide parts cause if you put to much in flat areas it could grab another leaf or twig and stick, so use minimal grease. i did remove the thin metal brace along the back part, not sure if needed or not. reassemble and clean put it back in with help, and then all the dam plastic that my dirty hands marked up here and there, found some spot remover that really worked good, only creased the headliner in couple places due to my being so pissed off!!! Only had a few extra sheet metal 10mm nuts that i can't remember where they went, for me thats normal, but if you find 4 sheetmetal type of dark colored not goldish screws let me know where they go please!!! I kinda forgot some stuff, 2 10mm to remove motor and pull it out cause the way it works is the gear that is making that noise is pressed between the 2 cables that move the roof and is nylon coated to grab the caable with the gear only. so not to greas the cable. and remove the light and controller is easy unclip connectors pull out fairlily easy. some videos of this you have already seen. just guessing and that latch replacement from MAN777 no use. mine would not budge until the twig was removed!!!! GOOD LUCK not hard just tee di us (sp) Where cloves i had them but didn't use them (dumbass) Sorry in advance if i missed something, and for the late reply Happy New Year... my email is surfing2good@gmail.com owner of Damangohaus Hostel in El Salvador @ Punta Mango, Live in Hawaii...Hit me up...G
Old 08-01-21, 05:35 PM
tg9266
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MTD1
Did you ever find a fix for unclogging your drain with the inoperable sunroof? I'm dealing with the same thing right now.
Old 08-01-21, 05:39 PM
tg9266
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by surfing2go
Got mine fixed, actually all you need is help! to lift the whole sunroof down once the headliner is down, Here is what i Did, since last, other post help little, as in start in the back and remove handles all 8, had issues with front ones, screwes are longer on the front 2 ONLY! now start to unbuckel/unhook all plastic from wheel whale up, just loosen lower parts to get the second layer loose, to get to the headliner free, remove rear light and push seatbelt thru hole in headliner, i have a video unit above second row, i had to remove, not sure if had too but did. remove all sun visors 4 the philips with the square clips were the hardest, need a pair of pliers to pull out, thought it was stripped, they are a wood screw and just sperates plastic to lock in. So you got pillares popped off and seat belts just leave it loose and hanging down, the a/c vents are in the headliner no need to remove. the cable to the rear light and video are suck to the top of headliner no easy disconnect, just leave it on once headliner is down on headrests, you will have to remove the sticky tape carefully so you can reuse it under pad in rear, you are going to have to remove the headliner or be careful working on top of it IF you can get to the nuts holding the sunroof up. the 10mm nuts holding the sunroof up will lower it, this is where you need help to hold it up so it can be dropped down to get to what needs to be gotten too! Of all things that stopped it from working was a ****ing TWIG about an inch long by less than or equal to 1/8 in. thick...Shiiiiiiiiit their are two black plastic locks on both side of rear , when push IN lock the window, this is where my twig was stuck under the little locking arm. really stuck, i removed the whole moon/sunroof out of car and onto a safe flat work area where we found the issue, cleaned it all up, just dust and some leaves, on passenger side was the twig, that side, the locking tab didnt move much. soaked it (wd40)and stuck whatever i could find in the channel to free it up and removed the little ****!!! I see why the dealer would charge so much for fix, the previous owner just paid up the *** for everthing, they put it back together really ****ty, loose nuts ect.. new motor probably, and grease. Anyway once you remove and clean that area it will free up the window to move in and out easily. clean and grease with white moly if need be just the slide parts cause if you put to much in flat areas it could grab another leaf or twig and stick, so use minimal grease. i did remove the thin metal brace along the back part, not sure if needed or not. reassemble and clean put it back in with help, and then all the dam plastic that my dirty hands marked up here and there, found some spot remover that really worked good, only creased the headliner in couple places due to my being so pissed off!!! Only had a few extra sheet metal 10mm nuts that i can't remember where they went, for me thats normal, but if you find 4 sheetmetal type of dark colored not goldish screws let me know where they go please!!! I kinda forgot some stuff, 2 10mm to remove motor and pull it out cause the way it works is the gear that is making that noise is pressed between the 2 cables that move the roof and is nylon coated to grab the caable with the gear only. so not to greas the cable. and remove the light and controller is easy unclip connectors pull out fairlily easy. some videos of this you have already seen. just guessing and that latch replacement from MAN777 no use. mine would not budge until the twig was removed!!!! GOOD LUCK not hard just tee di us (sp) Where cloves i had them but didn't use them (dumbass) Sorry in advance if i missed something, and for the late reply Happy New Year... my email is surfing2good@gmail.com owner of Damangohaus Hostel in El Salvador @ Punta Mango, Live in Hawaii...Hit me up...G
Ugh. That sounds like no fun. How long did all of that take you? Did you have to replace any parts? Mine on my 07 is not working properly but I think it's misalignment.
Old 09-02-21, 11:28 AM
pulprack
Driver School Candidate

2004 RX 330 with sunroof that doesn't open. (It hasn't opened since I bought it, 3 years ago.)

But the drains are apparently clogged and its leaking into the passenger cabin during these torrential rains lately.

Any way to manually crank open the sunroof to access the drains?

Thanks!
Old 09-02-21, 02:38 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 753 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by pulprack
2004 RX 330 with sunroof that doesn't open. (It hasn't opened since I bought it, 3 years ago.)

But the drains are apparently clogged and its leaking into the passenger cabin during these torrential rains lately.

Any way to manually crank open the sunroof to access the drains?

Thanks!
Sorry, this is the GX470 forum. We don't know.

Chip H.