GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

changed the GX-470 for?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-03, 10:10 AM
modelaford
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Say all you want about the VW. I have one and the VW tecs do not even know how to change oil , If you buy be ready to repair yourself. Caution monkeys in training. Have not had that problem with any other brand.
Old 07-30-03, 12:25 PM
w4rjd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have looked and driven the FX35, BMW X5, Benz E-class (ok not the same kind of car), Mercury SUV and RX 330..

In summary:
The FX 35 was pure junk food. Concept car look, hard to see out of and noisy engine. on a 1 to 10 scale, it is a 3.

The Benz was very nice interior, I like the style, but the drive was no where as nice as my GX and the E class is an expensive sedan.

The Mercury had a sticker of $36K, the dealer would sell it for $28K. It drives and rides like a Ford. Nice, but not a Lexus in any way. The price is attractive, the fit and finish was average at best.

The BMW was fun to drive and handled well. The cost was higher than a GX and the quality does seem to be as good.

The RX 330 is a nice grocery getter. My wife loves it if I drive it. The car is female friendly the only thing missing was a tampon dispenser.

Sure hope the new GX has a GVWR over 6000 lbs.
Old 07-30-03, 01:00 PM
mogulbumm
Rookie

For those who have seen/driven the Touareg, what are your impressions of the interior quality?

I have always loved the way German cars drive and feel, but I found the other VW models to be somewhat cheesy inside... The comparison to quality of materials between VW and Audi is similar to the quallity between Toyota and Lexus. I haven't personally seen a Touareg but the site pics look nice (they also looked nice for the Lincoln Aviator, but that was by far one of the cheapest interiors I have seen... the "brushed aluminum" trim looked and felt like painted plastic...)

In all of the vehicles I have owned, the Lexus by far has the most impressive inside design ranging from the glove-soft leather to the real birds eye maple. I didn't buy this thing for the off-road capabilities (hell, who wants to scratch up a perfectly good 50K vehicle on tree branches...).

On paper, the Touareg looks impressive... but I'm still leery about VW breaking into the Luxury SUV market... they should leave that for the Audi line. Reliability has also been a concern with both VW and Audi as of late...
Old 07-30-03, 01:47 PM
brent0226
Driver

Originally posted by mogulbumm
For those who have seen/driven the Touareg, what are your impressions of the interior quality?

I have always loved the way German cars drive and feel, but I found the other VW models to be somewhat cheesy inside... The comparison to quality of materials between VW and Audi is similar to the quallity between Toyota and Lexus. I haven't personally seen a Touareg but the site pics look nice (they also looked nice for the Lincoln Aviator, but that was by far one of the cheapest interiors I have seen... the "brushed aluminum" trim looked and felt like painted plastic...)

In all of the vehicles I have owned, the Lexus by far has the most impressive inside design ranging from the glove-soft leather to the real birds eye maple. I didn't buy this thing for the off-road capabilities (hell, who wants to scratch up a perfectly good 50K vehicle on tree branches...).

On paper, the Touareg looks impressive... but I'm still leery about VW breaking into the Luxury SUV market... they should leave that for the Audi line. Reliability has also been a concern with both VW and Audi as of late...
The Touareg's fit in finish is very very nice. I read an article in German from a Geman magazine, and they compared the fit/finish/ride to a 745i and the offroad performance to a Mercedes G-Class - if that's any indication. The Touareg has three wood choices that adorn the dash, doors, and center console. If you can't stomach VW breaking into the luxury segment with the Touareg, wait till the Phaeton comes in September. It's a 7 series/S class/LS430 competitor, that, if people can see past the VW badge on the front, exceeds each of its competitors. It is twice as torsionally rigid as the next most rigid, the S-class.

I have read lots about VW's/Audi's future plans. In the next decade, VW wants to fill in the luxury market (go after MB), while Audi is going to hit the sport market (go after BMW). Many people say "it's just a VW," but really check these out.

I don't know what you mean when you compare VW's interiors to Audi's. They are extremely similar.
Old 07-30-03, 01:58 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 50k for a VW?

I could never spend 50 k for a VW with their quality issues. Have you seen the latest JD Power Reliability reports? Here's the ranking
Attached Thumbnails changed the GX-470 for?-mfr.jpg  
Old 07-30-03, 01:58 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

NamePlate. I.E. Lexus instead of Toyota, or Pontiac instead of GM.
Attached Thumbnails changed the GX-470 for?-nameplate.jpg  
Old 07-30-03, 02:01 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

And Audi's not much better. 391 problems per 100 for VW and 318 for Audi.

Maybe it wouldn't matter if I was just getting an inexpensive commuting car for around 15-20k but 50k Luxury Utility Vehicle. No way!
Old 07-30-03, 02:23 PM
mogulbumm
Rookie

We love driving our Audi... but when stuff goes wrong it REALLY goes wrong. After only 5 years we have replace wheel bearings, faulty sensors, defective airbag, etc... We have only owned the car three years and average over $2500 per year in repairs alone. It would be traded on a new vehicle if we weren't upside-down on the payments (once a car hits its 5-year mark, the NADA takes a major nosedive).

I had similar problems with a VW Jetta from years ago. Never had any issues with the two BMWs (325is and 540i).

From an interior perspective, the Audi nameplate has always seemed to be made better (i.e. stainless door wells versus the plastic in the Jetta), hence my question on interior quality. Still, German cars are just fun to drive...

I'll let VW re-establish themselves since I can vouch first-hand from the JD ratings. I don't want to be a guinea pig on a new LuxUV. Plus, I absolutely LOVE my GX...
Old 07-30-03, 02:50 PM
brent0226
Driver

Default Re: 50k for a VW?

Originally posted by looknow12
I could never spend 50 k for a VW with their quality issues. Have you seen the latest JD Power Reliability reports? Here's the ranking
Just to let you know, those JD Power results were based on year model 2000 cars. The Touareg wasn't out then, and that was a time when VW was having lots of problems with window regulators and coil packs (Audi too). This was discussed in depth on the vw boards.
Old 07-31-03, 07:06 AM
177mph
Pole Position

Default Yikes!

I think those results are the nail in the coffin. Volkswagen and Audi are still having quality problems although they have come a long way. I love my GX and looked at (and drove) the toureg. The lexus was nicer inside and out and I KNEW I'd get good resale value even if I kept it 5 years or more. Bottom line - Lexus cars and trucks hold their value well. I wasnt sure if a VW SUV in it's first year would. I'm even more convinced now.

Happy (and smart) GX owner.
Old 08-08-03, 10:28 PM
degeester
Rookie

I will likely get a 2004 LX-470 to replace the GX. Range Rover is beautiful but quality, build is questionable. G500 would be nice but a little too pricey.
Old 08-09-03, 01:19 PM
D4SSWME
Driver

Question what's new on the '04 LX?

anyone have any ideas as to the looks of the '04

any exterior change over the '03?

I may consider going that route too.
Old 08-13-03, 08:47 AM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

me too!! i cant wait til they drop.. gonna get one like hot cakes
Old 08-13-03, 12:24 PM
degeester
Rookie

Lexus is working with Federal govt. to recertify the GX and change the GVWR upwards. Lexus tells me that they hope to have it done by November but could drag into Jan. 2004. My problem is, do I get another GX or a LX? Suggestions?
Old 08-13-03, 01:09 PM
mitsu
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by degeester
Lexus is working with Federal govt. to recertify the GX and change the GVWR upwards. Lexus tells me that they hope to have it done by November but could drag into Jan. 2004. My problem is, do I get another GX or a LX? Suggestions?

Do you mean they are working to change it on the 03 models or 04 models?

Do you mind if I ask where you got this info? Just wondering if it's credible or not because there is so much confusion floating around.

Thanks

Quick Reply: changed the GX-470 for?