GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

San Diego Indie Shop

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-19, 09:44 PM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default San Diego Indie Shop

I'm looking for an independent Toy/Lex maintenance shop in San Diego, for the purpose of accomplishing a pre-purchase inspection. I came across a place called TLC/Toyota Lexus Care. All 5 star reviews on Google with very positive comments. I spoke with the proprietor on the phone, and he can do what I need for a very fair price - all by remote control, as I live a distance away. I have viewed the car in person, and it has all the indicators of a very well cared for car. I just need a shop to look at it in-depth. TLC claims to be the only Indie shop specializing in Toyota-Lexus in San Diego, which I find surprising for a metro area of its size. Perhaps there are enough people in the area with the means to stick exclusively with dealer service.

Anyhow, I'd sure appreciated any thoughts on TLC, or suggestions for other Indie shops I may have overlooked.

Thanks!
Old 01-17-19, 11:11 PM
Organized Garage Status
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

TLC is an outstanding shop. I had the pleasure of working with them back when I still lived in San Diego. They were the only shop that were able to solve a long existing check engine light on my old SC400. They fixed it in 3 days and customer service was amazing. Highly recommend them.
Old 01-21-19, 07:48 PM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Organized Garage Status
TLC is an outstanding shop. I had the pleasure of working with them back when I still lived in San Diego. They were the only shop that were able to solve a long existing check engine light on my old SC400. They fixed it in 3 days and customer service was amazing. Highly recommend them.
Thanks OGS. We engaged TLC for the stated task. They did a rather thorough inspection. They discovered several discrepancies which were not unreasonable or unexpected given the age and mileage. No B.S. to inflate the impact on vehicle health perception (which would be detrimental to the seller), but deep enough to provide me, the prospective purchaser, with a good understanding of overall condition. I was very pleased with their service and thoroughness. $115 well-spent!
The following users liked this post:
fozzir (01-08-23)
Old 01-25-19, 04:06 PM
Navairgeek
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is also Elite Toyota/Lexus/Scion etc on Miramar road. Excellent spotless indie, they did my timing belt service. Highly recommended.
The following users liked this post:
fozzir (01-08-23)