GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

LC2i and ML system/ adding an amplified sub.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-19, 04:27 PM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts
Default LC2i and ML system/ adding an amplified sub.

So I just can’t take it anymore... I need some bass!!! The ML system sounds wonderful but it’s missing some “boom boom”... lol

anyway... I’m adding a 12” skar sub in a sealed box with a Rockford amp. Since our systems are complex, adding a sub takes more than a passive LOC... after much contemplation... I’ve decided to use the LC2i active LOC with AccuBASS. This LOC allows for 400 watt per channel input, won’t affect your stock amp because of the unbelievable amount of internal impedance, and prevents bass roll off at high volumes.... and can push up to 9.5v preamp output(not that I’ll use that much).

Im good with automotive electrical systems... I actually specialize in it for a living.
I just have one question that hopefully someone here can answer.

Whats a better point to to use as the inputs... tapping into the factory subwoofer wires, the back doors speakers, or the barn dorm speakers?

Old 05-16-19, 04:47 PM
maxx430
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a shop installed a cheapO LOC into the amp. it works fine but i feel like my sub is under powered.
Trailing question- Would a LC2i make a huge difference?
Old 05-16-19, 05:06 PM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by maxx430
I had a shop installed a cheapO LOC into the amp. it works fine but i feel like my sub is under powered.
Trailing question- Would a LC2i make a huge difference?

Yes.... a passive LOC will fluctuate voltage to the amp inputs. It also allows a lot of system noise(dirty output). You are lucky to get .5v from a cheap LOC.

The LC2i actually requires constant power and ground to work. The device takes the dirty signal, cleans it up, and stabilizes the output voltage from 2v-9.5v depending on how you tune it.
This way you can literally run your amp gain at the minimum to 20% position.

Active LOC’s are great for keeping the system tuned to that beautiful sound and evening up your bass to the system.
Old 05-17-19, 07:01 AM
maxx430
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MrJason
Yes.... a passive LOC will fluctuate voltage to the amp inputs. It also allows a lot of system noise(dirty output). You are lucky to get .5v from a cheap LOC.

The LC2i actually requires constant power and ground to work. The device takes the dirty signal, cleans it up, and stabilizes the output voltage from 2v-9.5v depending on how you tune it.
This way you can literally run your amp gain at the minimum to 20% position.

Active LOC’s are great for keeping the system tuned to that beautiful sound and evening up your bass to the system.
Awesome! i am going to pick one up. I can take a photo of where my existing one is installed now if you would like.
Old 05-17-19, 07:58 AM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Awesome! i am going to pick one up. I can take a photo of where my existing one is installed now if you would like.

Sure...
did they tap into the wires at the amp...inputs or outputs?
or
Did they tap into the wires somewhere else in the car?

where is it installed? The dash, under a seat, or in the back?

also... just so you know... the LC2i is the size of a small amp... unlike a passive LOC that is smaller than a pack of cigarettes.
Old 05-17-19, 12:30 PM
captainva
Instructor

Received 270 Likes on 236 Posts

So if I'm understanding the LC2i correctly, it takes the speaker line level as an input and converts it to a preamp signal meaning you need an amp in addition to that thing? Whats the benefit of that since you would still need an amp in addition to it over just buying an amp with line level in if you're only doing the subs?

When I replaced the broken sub in my GS300 I wired the sub output from the factory ML amp to a single channel Alpine amp and then to my sub. I have a control **** that I ran to my glovebox so I can control the bass level from there. I understand there are 2 subs in the GX but its the same general idea just different implementation. Why not just use an amp with line level in?

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500MRV...00.html?tp=115
Old 05-17-19, 01:05 PM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Muffinizer
So if I'm understanding the LC2i correctly, it takes the speaker line level as an input and converts it to a preamp signal meaning you need an amp in addition to that thing? Whats the benefit of that since you would still need an amp in addition to it over just buying an amp with line level in if you're only doing the subs?

When I replaced the broken sub in my GS300 I wired the sub output from the factory ML amp to a single channel Alpine amp and then to my sub. I have a control **** that I ran to my glovebox so I can control the bass level from there. I understand there are 2 subs in the GX but its the same general idea just different implementation. Why not just use an amp with line level in?

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500MRV...00.html?tp=115

Because the amps high level input doesn’t take the signal and smooth it out.
Plus by using the high level of the amp you have 2 issues...

1) The voltage “in” changes when you turn the radio volume up/down. This signal could go as high as 25volts which is way to much for the high lvl inputs in most amps.

With the LC2i, you can stabilize this voltage from .5v - 9.5v... which you would actually want to be 4-6 volts for most amps.

2) The bass roll off at high volumes... the louder you turn up the ML stereo the higher the amp raises its cut off Hz.

With the LC2i, the AccuBASS feature will produce the missing frequency range at higher volumes.

So basically....

amp high lvl input = dirty in-dirty out

LC2i active LOC = dirty in-clean out
Old 05-17-19, 01:13 PM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Does anyone know which channel is left and which channel is right on this diagram of the sub speaker wires for a ML system(2005 GX470)?
Old 05-17-19, 01:33 PM
captainva
Instructor

Received 270 Likes on 236 Posts

Because the amps high level input doesn’t take the signal and smooth it out.
Plus by using the high level of the amp you have 2 issues...

1) The voltage “in” changes when you turn the radio volume up/down. This signal could go as high as 25volts which is way to much for the high lvl inputs in most amps.

With the LC2i, you can stabilize this voltage from .5v - 9.5v... which you would actually want to be 4-6 volts for most amps.

2) The bass roll off at high volumes... the louder you turn up the ML stereo the higher the amp raises its cut off Hz.

With the LC2i, the AccuBASS feature will produce the missing frequency range at higher volumes.

So basically....

amp high lvl input = dirty in-dirty out

LC2i active LOC = dirty in-clean out
Great explanation and that makes total sense! Looking through the specs, the max input voltage to that amp from the speakers is 10V. That makes me want to double check what voltage is going into the amp
The following users liked this post:
MrJason (05-17-19)
Old 05-17-19, 01:45 PM
maxx430
Lead Lap

Sure...
did they tap into the wires at the amp...inputs or outputs?
or
Did they tap into the wires somewhere else in the car?

where is it installed? The dash, under a seat, or in the back?

also... just so you know... the LC2i is the size of a small amp... unlike a passive LOC that is smaller than a pack of cigarettes.
Not sure if the LOC is connected into the input or output of the amp, but it is tapped into the amp. When i move the driver seat fully back, i see the LOC sitting right next to the amp and the wires. I just saw how big the LC2 is and i think i can fit it somewhere under the driver seat, my amp isnt too big, just now sure how to connect it. It would be great if you can make a DIY. I will post a photo of my set up tonight.
Old 05-17-19, 04:17 PM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Not sure if the LOC is connected into the input or output of the amp, but it is tapped into the amp. When i move the driver seat fully back, i see the LOC sitting right next to the amp and the wires. I just saw how big the LC2 is and i think i can fit it somewhere under the driver seat, my amp isnt too big, just now sure how to connect it. It would be great if you can make a DIY. I will post a photo of my set up tonight.

Heres a good explanation. You can use a multi-meter(set to AC) to measure the voltage at your speaker. Just cut a set of rca cables and make a pig tail on one side. Connect one rca cable to the LC2i output and connect the meter to the pigtail you made... then adjust the LC2i till you achieve the voltage that you want to send to your amp... make sure the volume of the radio is set to about 75%.

You can also test the voltage coming from amp this way.

These guys have have tons of videos on how to use active LOC devices.

maxx430 (05-18-19)
Old 05-18-19, 06:17 AM
maxx430
Lead Lap

Here is where the LOC is connected. Not sure if its connected to the input or output of the amp. It is pulling signal from the red wired and the white wire directly below it.
Old 05-18-19, 07:24 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 742 Likes on 606 Posts

Does anyone know which channel is left and which channel is right on this diagram of the sub speaker wires for a ML system(2005 GX470)?
Record the audio from this youtube onto a disc and play it thru your system. It starts off with channel identification.

Chip H.
MrJason (05-18-19)
Old 05-18-19, 08:58 PM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chiph9
Record the audio from this youtube onto a disc and play it thru your system. It starts off with channel identification.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZrWHtvSog4

Chip H.

Ill just use it through my phone. I’ve removed the cd changer and installed a Bluetooth media stream device in its place. The sound from the Bluetooth on Pandora or iTunes is unbelievable clear.
Its the “Yatour” brand you get off amazon for $75... lol

Now... Disc 1 is Bluetooth streaming...Disc 2 is the aux input... and Disc 3 is the usb input.

I had bluetooth calling already on my 2005 GX470... but it sounded horrible yet people said I was very clear coming through. So I ran the microphone for the Yatour box up to the sunglass holder and put it behind the felt with the factory Bluetooth speaker.
Now i’m clear as day and I can hear the person on the other end of the call just as clearly... since the call comes through the amplifier instead of just the non amplified left front door 6x9. 👍🏻
Old 05-18-19, 09:28 PM
MrJason
Lead Lap

So I’ve got my skar dual 2ohm voice coil sub mounted in a sealed enclosure with 1.0 cubic feet.... I wired the voice coils in series to get 4ohms... using the Rockford Fosgate Prime(R500X1D) to push it(rated 300watts rms @ 4ohms).... and the LC2i between the sub out put wires(connect at the plug on the factory subwoofer enclosure) and the RF amp.

Heres what I’ve got and in the process of installing.

Quick Reply: LC2i and ML system/ adding an amplified sub.