GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Vibration Issues (combined)

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-03, 03:05 AM
AWilmit
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tnlcao-- did the fix work?
Old 04-30-03, 07:17 PM
AWilmit
Rookie

The Latest on the vibration is that tnlcao's dealer does believe it has been told of an effective fix from Lexus engineering for the GX vibration (related to the drive shaft as reported by tnlcao). However, my dealer says there is no word yet from Lexus other than they have asked for information from dealers about people experiencing the vibration (the Service Manager called the drive train expert at Lexus engineering to make sure there was no official "fix"). Lexus customer service tells me there is nothing "official" from Lexus yet on this problem, although they are researching it further. This is all very odd to me and somewhat frustrating. Hopefully it will be resolved soon.
Old 05-02-03, 03:34 PM
bricole
Driver School Candidate

AWilmit:

Did you happen to go through Prestige or Englewood???

-Brian
Old 05-02-03, 04:02 PM
177mph
Pole Position

Default this is crazy

They should realize by now that there is an issue. I dont know how the fix mentioned above can work. Does it work?
Old 05-03-03, 10:51 AM
lextek
Driver

Hmm, you can power brake the vehicle to around 1800 rpm and it still does it, that eliminates the driveshaft story.

Engine mounts and transmission mount, also possibly exhaust hangers are being redesigned.

lextek
Old 05-03-03, 12:33 PM
modelaford
Driver

Unhappy

Exactly!! I am familuar with GM products that had the same problem and they added a big weight to the exhaust system for a cure. When I talked to the customer service rep that is exactly what I said and was told the engineers would contact me but I am still holding my breath (turning blue). I don't think we are dealing with the same Lexus it was when I got my other 3 Lexuses. A couple years back they had to fight for the #1 spot for quality but now it may be just takin for granted along with its customers.
Old 05-03-03, 12:38 PM
Yumla
Driver School Candidate

Just updating everyone on the latest here in the Seattle area.

I took my GX for the 5K service yesterday. I tried to have the vibration checked again. I accompanied the diagnostic person on the test drive. He re-iterated the "it is normal for Lexus/Toyata V8" story again. They also had no clue of any communication from Lexus.

This may well be a normal vibration. However, if I had noticed it in the test drive. I sure wouldn't have bought the GX. Ironically -- other than this annoyance, it's a great car. We just returned from a ten day trip to Grand Canyon and San Diego. My son had a blast with playing XBox in the rear and the car handled rain, snow, hot, gravel -- so smoothly. The suspension adjustment is very handy on the long trips.

btw: I will be sending a written complaint to Lexus on Monday.
Old 05-04-03, 06:27 AM
lextek
Driver

Lextek: Are you associated with Lexus? Sales, service, mechanic?

If you are, please let the higher ups know there is an issue that needs resolving as Lexus customer service is not. Please, I am wanting one of these things, but will not buy one until this issue is resolved.

If you are in sales and can get Lexus Corporate to listen that there is an issue I would gladly get my deposit back and give you my business no matter what state you are in.

I am just finishing a lemon law case with my Corvette, and Dodge Dakota and turned to Lexus for their superior quality and service, but so far I am not impressed with how Lexus is dealing (or in this case) not dealing with this issue. If they would only be honest and spend the money up front to fix this issue, they will make up for it later with repeat business.

Lexus needs to realize the SUV/LUV market is exploding and the GX470 is not the only option out there.

My .02 from a nobody customer

Cessna:

Lexus IS interested in this issue and is presently working on a permanent and feasible countermeasure for this slight vibration.

Anytime a brand new model lineup is introduced, there is always the likelihood of a few initial quirks that need to be ironed out, i believe this to be one. Thats certainly no excuse, and, again, Lexus is working on this and is interested in resolving it up front, and very soon.

I have a conference call later, around mid month, the issue will be discussed again then.

No, Lexus' does not have the only SUV/LUV out there, however, after driving what Lexus' believes is the best competition, I with all bias set aside truly feel Lexus has the best to offer. That competition includes but of course not limited to: Landrover, Rangerover, Lincoln Aviator, BMW X5, and Mercedes-Benz ML's.

Regards,
lextek
Old 05-04-03, 08:05 AM
AWilmit
Rookie

Lextek -- thanks for the post. I agree that a big part of the issue is the communication with Lexus CS. For what it is worth, Lexus would be much better off telling customers that they recognize the vibration is a problem and that they are working on an appropriate repair. Telling people this is "normal" or "characteristic of the vehicle" just doesn't help very much -- particularly if they really are working on a repair.

I am not sure I agree too much that the vibration is minor. In my case it is in a range where I normally drive during highway driving and it actually hurts my knees over long drives. It is also just plain annoying.

Keep us up to date on what you learn.

Thanks
Old 05-07-03, 03:10 PM
modelaford
Driver

Unhappy

Just what is normal folks???? If I would have wanted a truck i would have bought a 1 ton dually. lol

Last edited by modelaford; 05-07-03 at 03:22 PM.
Old 05-07-03, 03:39 PM
Guy
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus Customer Service - NOT!

As a new Lexus owner and a new member of this august group, I have to say that I am completely underwhelmed by Lexus and their reportedly "outstanding" customer service. While the GX470 is a nice "truck", I've even noticed the vibration and I only have 1000 miles on mine.

I'm getting ready to call Customer Service at their 1-800 number to check on what I discovered in another thread in the GX470 forum. The one about Lexus mis-identifying the GX470 as having a GCWR of 6100# and subsequently changing it with no public announcement to 6000#. To those of us who accelerate depreciation, this is a very expensive misprint and can cost some of us up to $20,000 in the first year. At least I didn't buy it last year and write it off and now have to pay a fine and interest to Uncle Sam.

When you add this to their lack of support about the vibration issue, I have dreams of longing for my Porsche and Mercedes that I just sold.
Old 05-07-03, 08:11 PM
bricole
Driver School Candidate

Question

Reading over all of these threads really does frighten me...I've owned (2) RX-300s and never had a problem with either nor the service I received. I ordered a GX on April 1 from Prestige figuring that would allow for enough time for the GX to arrive before having to take my current RX back (May 15). The salesperson I dealt with indicated a delivery time of a few weeks. Needless to say, I JUST got word yesterday after relentless phone calls that the GX should arrive in port on the May 15 - which leaves me carless for a week.

Being a Lexus customer for quite a while now, I'm hoping they will accommodate me with a loaner until my GX arrives @ the dealership from the port (8 WEEKS after ordering it!). It's incredible that I see some people on here receiving their cars within 2 weeks.

In any event, as a proactive measure I've contacted Prestige already earlier this month to determine what to do IF I get a Vibrating GX. The salesman indicated that "According to my service manager, Lexus is studying the problem to see from where it's originating" and has no current fix. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that when I pick the vehicle up and do a test-drive w/ the salesman that I don't become yet another 'victim of vibration'.

Let's hope Lexus gets their ducks in line and fast...reading so many threads of disappointed GX owners is rather discouraging. This lack of communication between customers, master techs and mainly CS is something I've never experienced from Lexus before.

----Brian Cole
Old 05-09-03, 08:05 PM
AWilmit
Rookie

Scott from Lexus CS tells me that Lexus is nw running forums with service departments at various dealerships around the country to determine an effective repair for the vibration (which, I guess it turns out isn't "normal"). He tells me a repair will be available sooner rather than later and that I should keep checking with my dealer. No real explanation as to why the repair that worked for tnlcao is not approved for my car, but if this is taken care of in a short time frame, I guess I will be happy.

Anyone hear anything else?
Old 05-18-03, 09:34 PM
ikan
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

Any update on this matter? I know the members of the MDX forum sent a group complaint letter to Acura when there are enough people having the same problem and have no luck in getting the dealer or the manufacturer to admit the problem. If there is no progress on this, we may want to get a group complaint letter to Lexus. May be we can attach the result of the vibration survey as well.
Old 05-19-03, 07:18 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I consider myself to be sensitive to these issues, and I just have not noticed it.

Quick Reply: Vibration Issues (combined)