GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Vibration Issues (combined)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-03, 06:27 AM
modelaford
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

The longer I have this vehicle the more I am finding out about the vibration, Mine seems to have a bad vibration on acceleration between 15 and 35 MPH under light throttle, the 4x4 shift lever vibrates like crazy and the front end shakes like a driveshaft problem. Now the other vibration fron 1700 RPM to 2200 RPM is a completely different vibration (tortional, motormounts, or exhaust. I feel these are two complete different issues. Anyone have any comments?
Old 05-24-03, 07:48 AM
AWilmit
Rookie

Lexus insists they recognize there is a problem and they are working on it. Anyone hear anything? Keep those calls to Lexus coming.
Old 05-24-03, 01:23 PM
bricole
Driver School Candidate

Question

Not to beat a dead horse in describing the vibration problem but.... My GX came in yesterday and I've only drove about 65mph with is so far. While there wasn't a big vibration I noticed a sort of shuttering in the steering wheel once I reached about 60mph. Am I a victim or just being overly critical?

I plan on heading to the shore so I'll see how it handles at 75...80 on the NJ Parkway.

Brian
Old 05-26-03, 07:45 PM
AWilmit
Rookie

The vibration is a buzz through teh floor (accelerator) and steering at 1700 RPM and up. IMO, its pretty hard to miss. I don't think you are a "victim" -- this car just has a design defect. Lexus says they are close to a repair. Still hoping, but this is the first and last Lexus I'll ever buy.
Old 05-27-03, 10:58 AM
modelaford
Driver

Default vibration

AWilmit, At our age we should know better than to beleive the hype!!!
Old 05-28-03, 12:01 AM
LexFather

Yes, the GX has fat tires but the larger the wheel, the greater chance for vibrations. The GX has 17" wheels. Not a good excuse, but something to consider.

I wonder if the 4-runner is having this problem?

Old 06-01-03, 07:35 PM
gzorn
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have had my GX for 2 weeks now and have put on 500 miles. The vibrartion has started to appear in the 1500 to 2000 RPM range only when doing around 55. While not as bad as past SUVs I am definitely going to say something at the 1000 mile checkup at the end of June. Do need to check tire pressure all around to rule it out but has been raining all weekend. Since it only seems to appear during 4th gear at this RPM range I wonder if the tolerances in the transmission are off just a little to much for the gear.
Old 06-05-03, 06:41 PM
AWilmit
Rookie

gzorn:

This really is a design issue, not a tire pressure issue -- Lexus has as much as told me that. I would complain long and loud about the vibration to Lexus CS and to your dealer. Note, at least one person (look at posts by tnlcao) had his car repaired by a Lexus dealer in California (I spoke to the service manager who confirmed the repair was successful), but to date Lexus is pretty unresponsive other than to say they are working on it.

This is really unacceptable for a $54,000 car and Lexus should be embarrassed both for putting this vehicle out as it did without proper R&D and for the way it is handling this issue (and, really, the other issues like the 6,100 lb weight issue).
Old 06-06-03, 08:21 AM
Cessna172
Driver

For what it is worth, I took my GX in for it's 1000K mile service and told the diagnostic tech. about the vibration issue, he went on a road test with me and confirmed it. He also said unoffically and off the record that Lexus is aware of the problem and is actively working on a solution, however he also said that Lexus isn't going to say anything official until they have a positive solution to this problem. Nevertheless, I made sure they wrote down in my repair order that the vibration was confirmed, so at least I have documentation.

Something else interesting that he told me was the way Lexus found out about the now airbag recall.

I'm sure most of you know about the event Lexus has been putting on with the LX470, GX470, and the RX330 at various locations in the U.S. testing off-road capabilities in the LX/GX and the on-road capabilities for the RX vs it's competetors. Well anyway before they let the public go through those courses they had a much more intense course set up for Lexus employees with more extreme hills, bumps, etc. For those of us who went to the events, it's the portion where they have you drive on the 45 degree banked hill to test the vehicle's stability and roll resistence (except when they were doing it it was more like 60 degrees) that they found the airbag problem. I few employees were "going the extra mile" so to speak on that course and had the GX almost tipped over when the plastic pins broke and the airbag deployed and removed air from the rear of the car. He was quite humerous about how he explained it too, saying that it took a couple of yahoos to find the defect and not in the production line.

Anyways, just thought I would share with you all.

Good Day

Last edited by Cessna172; 06-06-03 at 08:21 AM.
Old 06-09-03, 06:29 PM
lextek
Driver

A feasible countermeasure is being tested to eliminate the vibration. Lexus is absolutely aware and being as proactive as possible to provide a permanent and successful repair.

Still waiting as you guys are.

Lextek.
Old 08-10-03, 08:53 PM
shlbrn
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down Front end vibration

I am starting to get very worried/frustrated at Lexus. Shortly after acquiring a new 03 gx, I began to experience a vibration that first seemed to be an out of balance sensation. I noted this to service when I took it in for the 5k service. They at first said that they would check the tires, later called and said that Lexus was just becoming aware of a "unexplained" vibration in the suspension. They claim they replaced the drivelines during the service. When I picked up the vehicle it was better but for only about a week. The vibration returned, 1700-1900 rpm 55-65 mph. I callled back several weeks later and talked to ser advisor. No news, had not heard anything from Lexus....

I returned two weeks later and talked to the salesman, who is a personal friend. He had not heard of this problem, which I found amazing. Don't the service people talk to the sales people? Anyway he said he would talk to gm and get right back to me. This was a week ago Fri. I had not gotten a return call, so called him Tuesday. He said that the gm had been off Mon and he would get back to me within an hour. I have not heard anything from him. Makes me really uncomfortable.

Have any of you experienced the same problem and if so was it resolved? What was the correction. I would like to approach the dealer with as much information as possible.

Shlbrn
Old 08-11-03, 05:53 AM
modelaford
Driver

Angry

After many calls to lexus they said they were working on a fix, then when i called the last time they said it is a truck and live with it.
Old 08-11-03, 08:52 AM
major1
Driver School Candidate

Please see several other messages in this forum on the mysterious "Vibration" problem.

You have the vibration at 1700 rpm plus at or around 60-65 mph. Its a real pain!

So far from what I can tell lexus have been poor at responding, or dealing with the problem.

Service people claim little knowledge or information from corporate.

A buy back program is in place because of this and other issues.

Several "lemon law" claims are now in progress.

Wish I could advise you further but review or search all entries apertaining to "Vibration"

It's rumoured that Lexus will change the suspension to "Kinetic" for the 04 model but thats a long shot.

The GVWR also will not change.
Old 08-11-03, 04:32 PM
maxpaul
Driver School Candidate

Hello everyone! I realize that this is a GX470 forum, but please bare with me as I own a 03' Toyota 4Runner 4X4 sport V8. I have been having vibration problems also when I reach about 60mph. My 4Runner has only 700 miles on it so far. I took it to my dealership and they said my tires were out of balance probably. So, they tested the balance and found 2 tires out of balance. Problem fixed? NO! I found it ironic that in such a high dollar suv like the 4Runner, and its legendary reputation, that it would have this vibration. I purchased the vehicle 2 weeks ago with 5 miles on it. I have babied the vehicle from the get go, and still have the vibration. Grant it, the vibration was reduced with the tire balance some, but I am still getting this vibration--I can rest my left knee against the door and feel the vibration which reinforces what I am feeling in the steering wheel. I have been told by a few GX470 owners that the 4Runner is a "sister" vehicle to the 470. I guess they are very simliar? Anyway, I am sure that I have the same 4.7L V8 you all have and figure that alot of the driveshaft components are interchangable. So, I am probably experiencing the same vibration as you all. I have the Dunlop AT20 tires and wonder if they are the problem. But, after reading your messages in this forum, I doubt it. What should I do? Should I contact Lexus as well (since they related to Toyota)? Whats everyones thoughts, and are there any more 03' 4Runner owners in here? Thanks everyone for letting me visit your forum. Paul from Ohio.
Old 08-11-03, 05:43 PM
modelaford
Driver

Thumbs up

Hi Paul, Welcome to the forum, I have complained about the vibration and have been told I drive a truck so live with it. I will not have to live with it too much longer as they are in process of buying it back. This being my 5 th Lexus and the one and only lemon I don't know what to tell you. By the way the lemonaid was also sour. lol. My Ford Truck does not vibrate, go figure. The whole problem is that they have sold so many of these GX's and can sell all they ship over here they are not to hip on finding the problem. Just a bunch of kids at the 800 number that are like robots programmed to tell you a crock of bull when you phone. The average dealer is also programmed to tell you he has never heard of the problem and the kids on the tec line say I am the first complaint they have had lol. Very sad how this company has chosen to do business.

Quick Reply: Vibration Issues (combined)