GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Vibration Issues (combined)

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-03, 08:20 AM
AWilmit
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Tell Lexus About Vibration Problem

As with a number of other people on this board, I have been experiencing a vibration in my GX-470 at around 1,700 RPM up to about 2,600 RPM while pressing the accelerator (around 50-60 mph in 5th gear). To me, it feels like a buzz that runs through floor (e.g., the dead pedal and the accelerator pedal) and into the steering column. While the GX isn't undrivable as a result of this vibration, it is really annoying and somewhat fatiguing on long drives.

I spoke to my dealer (Lexus of Englewood) and was told that the vibration was normal, since "it's a truck." Lexus customer service told me they have not heard of this problem at all. When I told the somewhat unhelpful Lexus rep that I had seen many complaints on the Internet about exactly this problem, she told me "we don't look at the Internet. If anyone has a problem, they should call us" (interesting idea of the relentless pursuit of perfection).

So . . . if you are experiencing the vibration problem in your GX, you should call Lexus at 1-800-25LEXUS and let them know about it. This is the only way this problem will be address
Old 04-21-03, 10:22 AM
w4rjd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My local service manager tells me they are working on a fix for this problem. No idea when it will available.
Old 04-22-03, 02:59 AM
AWilmit
Rookie

w4rjd:

I would call Lexus anyway -- according to Lexus customer service, Lexus has no record of vibration being a problem that has been reported in the GX.
Old 04-22-03, 06:37 AM
w4rjd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spoke to two of the service advisers and the Service Manager. All three give the same story that Lexus is working on a fix. The design of the fix is not known to local dealer at this time but might include a counter weight or active motor mounts like on the ES300.

I have known these fellows for the last four years. I trust and respect their information. This is a small town and the dealer is run like a small town operation.

With all that said I am sending a letter to Lexus Certified Mail and would suggest everyone do the same. CYA time.
Old 04-22-03, 10:09 PM
bricole
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation

Per a salesman at Prestige Lexus (Ramsey NJ):

I've delivered quite a few GXs and had no feedback regarding vibration. But I have heard about 2 other customers who got the GX from Prestige out of probably over 100 that have already picked up their cars about this. According to my service manager, Lexus is studying the problem to see from where it's originating.
Old 04-23-03, 01:37 PM
Cessna172
Driver

Originally posted by bricole
Per a salesman at Prestige Lexus (Ramsey NJ):

I've delivered quite a few GXs and had no feedback regarding vibration. But I have heard about 2 other customers who got the GX from Prestige out of probably over 100 that have already picked up their cars about this. According to my service manager, Lexus is studying the problem to see from where it's originating.
Lexus should relay that to their customer service dept.
Old 04-23-03, 01:46 PM
bricole
Driver School Candidate

Red face

I agree 100%. I've saw so many varying responses to this problem from sales people and service depts.

They should have also told me the wait would be 7 WEEKS! =(

Still waiting for my GX in NJ
Brian Cole
Old 04-24-03, 06:14 AM
AWilmit
Rookie

My wait was almost 3 months (mostly because of wanting a particular color (Meridian Blue) and set of options (pretty much everything, although I could have done without the Lexus Link, the rear spoiler and the tow hitch receiver)).

Last edited by AWilmit; 04-25-03 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-24-03, 06:48 AM
bricole
Driver School Candidate

Go through Prestige???
Old 04-24-03, 11:48 AM
Guy
Driver School Candidate

Default Wiat for GX470

My wait was 2 days. took that long to locate the color. I was unaware they were in short supply, as I was out road testing the Pilot and MDX when I met a girl in Physical Therapy who showed me her's (Lexus, that is).

Guy

Originally posted by bricole
I agree 100%. I've saw so many varying responses to this problem from sales people and service depts.

They should have also told me the wait would be 7 WEEKS! =(

Still waiting for my GX in NJ
Brian Cole
Old 04-24-03, 03:03 PM
AWilmit
Rookie

Englewood
Old 04-25-03, 09:54 AM
modelaford
Driver

Unhappy

spoke to two of the service advisers and the Service Manager. All three give the same story that Lexus is w
orking on a fix. The design of the fix is not known to local

This is nothing but to get you off their back, not true as I talked to Lexus this morning and they have never heard of the problem from any dealer. Sounds like someone must of done away with the messanger.
Old 04-25-03, 03:57 PM
Cessna172
Driver

Just got a call back from Marcus at Lexus customer service. His words about the vibration problem....

Lexus stance according to him is the vibration is normal because it is a truck based SUV and designed for heavy duty off-roading, therefore there is no issue for Lexus to look into. He says he received that information from Lexus's Technical dept.

Sounds like Lexus's ledgendary customer service is no longer a priority.
Old 04-25-03, 06:32 PM
AWilmit
Rookie

I spoke to Lexus customer service re. the vibration in my car today. The CS rep was very helpful and indicated to me that Lexus Engineering has been made aware of the vibration I described and which, based on dealer input, appears to be a characteristic of the GX. CS was not yet sure what, if anything, Lexus is going to do about the issue.

I continue to hope Lexus will quickly come up with a fix for the GX, since I otherwise really like it and think it is much better than the competition in many respects.

The conversation I had with CS today (during which the CS rep took the time to read through some of the posts here, at Edmunds and at Autospies.com about the vibration) is much closer to the customer service for which Lexus is known and is a big step toward telling me that Lexus recognizes the issue and is not just dismissing its customers' complaints. That being said, Cessna172's story does not bode well (or Lexus just does not have its act together). In any case, if the its a truck thing is Lexus' answer, I suppose they should stop the "LUV" advertising and just sing "Like a Rock." Also, I don't think LX470 owners have this problem on their truck-based SUVs. I even think that GMC Jimmy owners (let alone Lincoln Aviator owners) don't have this problem. Lexus should keep in mind this is a $54,000 car that is advertised as being a luxury vehicle. Vibrations in the driveline just are not acceptable. So far I fear that leaving BMW for this was a mistake.
Old 04-28-03, 05:15 PM
Cessna172
Driver

Originally posted by tnlcao
Here is the good new, I talked with one of Lexus senior master tech earlier today. Lexus has found the cure for the vibration problem with some of the GX 470. According to the Master Tech Lexus has been conference call and email all the Senior Master around all region that has the most complain. Southern California was one of them. The Senior Master Tech was very honest about this problem, approx 30% of the GX 470 has the vibration problem. According to Lexus it has something to do with the 4 wheel drive shaft, all they have to do is take it a part clean the internal shaft with some special chemical and readjust the shaft and that should take care of the vibration problem, Lexus is currently adjusting the procedure in the assembly line, the next GX batch should be perfect. Lexus engineer has confirm the solution is 100% effective. Well, I hope they are right, my GX is scheduled for next Tues 4/29/03 to correct the vibration problem. If you want to call your local dealer to confirm this new, make sure you ask to speak to a senior master tech or at least the master tech, because services advisor don't know jack **** except for tune up schedule and oil change.

Sleep well and have a great weekend.
Did you happen to get the name of the person you talked to? I received my follow up phone call from the customer service magager and he maintains that the vibration is normal since it is a truck based frame. One of us is being lied to, I just wish I knew who it was. I hope it is me.

Quick Reply: Vibration Issues (combined)