GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Rear spring question

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-19, 03:33 PM
Aristo-cat
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear spring question

On my FJ I went with a OME (guessing cause I don't remember) HD rear spring and I had it combo's with the stock shocks. I noticed the back was really stiff. I didn't have a tire in rear which may have made cause this, but it was way too stiff in the rear. Does anyone have experience with trying different setups for the rear coil, or can you provide your own experience with what you went with?

I really like like the blistiens and probably going to do the 5100's all round again, however I'm not sure what I should do for the rear spring.

TIA
Old 06-25-19, 06:59 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 525 Likes on 437 Posts

Are you looking for stock height or a lift in the rear? Need more info to provide good advice.
Old 06-25-19, 07:49 AM
StrmTrpLex
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Like what IanB2 has said definitely need more information. If you do a rear spring conversion I would do a heavy duty spring since it'll be still. We do those all day here but just put in our toytec superflexes for a nice ride! Let me know if you need help I'm Anthony over at toyteclifts.
Old 06-25-19, 08:35 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Dont mess with any of the HD springs unless you plan on weighing it down with gear....the reason why its stiff was because you didnt have enough weight in the back to soften the ride properly.

I would recommend running either the 2" Radflo rear springs or 2" Icon rear springs. These are your basic rear lift springs that can carry more weight in the rear without being an HD spring.
Old 06-25-19, 10:18 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Aristo-cat
On my FJ I went with a OME (guessing cause I don't remember) HD rear spring and I had it combo's with the stock shocks. I noticed the back was really stiff. I didn't have a tire in rear which may have made cause this, but it was way too stiff in the rear. Does anyone have experience with trying different setups for the rear coil, or can you provide your own experience with what you went with?

I really like like the blistiens and probably going to do the 5100's all round again, however I'm not sure what I should do for the rear spring.

TIA
Check out this thread. It has a a lot of info.

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-g...n-options.html

Originally Posted by StrmTrpLex
Like what IanB2 has said definitely need more information. If you do a rear spring conversion I would do a heavy duty spring since it'll be still. We do those all day here but just put in our toytec superflexes for a nice ride! Let me know if you need help I'm Anthony over at toyteclifts.
Any advice on front spring rates? I'm looking at Bilstein 6112s which and I've been seeing a lot of conflicting info since it seems that that were designed for the V6 4runner and the V8 is about 200 lbs more. The standard spring rate on the 6112s is 600 lbs but it seems like 650 or 700 lbs would be better for the added weight of the engine. Do you have any experience with these?
Old 06-26-19, 11:41 AM
StrmTrpLex
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Muffinizer
Check out this thread. It has a a lot of info.

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-g...n-options.html

Any advice on front spring rates? I'm looking at Bilstein 6112s which and I've been seeing a lot of conflicting info since it seems that that were designed for the V6 4runner and the V8 is about 200 lbs more. The standard spring rate on the 6112s is 600 lbs but it seems like 650 or 700 lbs would be better for the added weight of the engine. Do you have any experience with these?
I would definitely do a 650 its a good common ground rate for the 470s but 700 is too heavy unless you are doing aftermarket bumper
The following users liked this post:
captainva (06-27-19)
Old 06-27-19, 12:36 PM
Aristo-cat
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forgot I posted this LOL!

Sorry, yes... more info. I do plan on a lift, I'd like to go 3 inches if I can, but will settle for 2 inches if it doesn't mess with the geometry too much. I'm also looking to probably for a 285 or 270/80 size tire.

Thanks for the input so far. Anthony i'll probably be hitting you up soon.

Thanks all!