GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Door ajar light stuck on.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-19, 04:02 PM
Puglisione
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door ajar light stuck on.

In middle of night after heavy rain my factory alarm started to beep. I went out to car and all was closed however door ajar light stuck on and the interior lights. I checked all the door jam switches and they all seemed ok except the drivers door. On all the other doors when I pressed switch the actual light in that individual door would turn off as it should, however the drivers door would not. I took door jam switch from passenger door and put it in drivers side and still it would not shut light on drivers door or door ajar on dash. And the door jam switch originally from drivers door that I put on passenger door would successfully shut the light in passenger door SO it appears the switch works. I then took test light and found that there was no current to the drivers door wire behind the door jam switch.
What do you think could have caused this and how can I repair? So the car thinks the drivers door is open. I can’t lock car with key fob buttons because I get that long beep because it thinks door is open. I did smell a mildew odor after the exceptional heavy rain and felt dampness in drivers side rug. So I’m thinking something may have shorted? Hopefully someone can help me out?
Old 07-19-19, 04:11 PM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Puglisione
In middle of night after heavy rain my factory alarm started to beep. I went out to car and all was closed however door ajar light stuck on and the interior lights. I checked all the door jam switches and they all seemed ok except the drivers door. On all the other doors when I pressed switch the actual light in that individual door would turn off as it should, however the drivers door would not. I took door jam switch from passenger door and put it in drivers side and still it would not shut light on drivers door or door ajar on dash. And the door jam switch originally from drivers door that I put on passenger door would successfully shut the light in passenger door SO it appears the switch works. I then took test light and found that there was no current to the drivers door wire behind the door jam switch.
What do you think could have caused this and how can I repair? So the car thinks the drivers door is open. I can’t lock car with key fob buttons because I get that long beep because it thinks door is open. I did smell a mildew odor after the exceptional heavy rain and felt dampness in drivers side rug. So I’m thinking something may have shorted? Hopefully someone can help me out?

Its the drivers door door latch assembly...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Power-D...Display%3A4.7L
Old 07-19-19, 04:12 PM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Although I’d recommend looking for one made by “Aisin”... or a used OEM.
Old 07-19-19, 08:26 PM
Puglisione
Driver School Candidate

Default Door ajar light stuck on

Thanks for the info. Is the door latch assembly where the door jam switch gets its current?
Old 07-20-19, 01:02 PM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Thanks for the info. Is the door latch assembly where the door jam switch gets its current?

Its where the signal goes too.
Old 07-20-19, 01:37 PM
Puglisione
Driver School Candidate

Default Me Jason

Seems like area was wet and now dried out as all is working again. I believe it all started with rain not draining properly from sunroof. That’s why drivers side rug was wet. I think a connection must have been wet in the kick panel area. Also
ver important was that the wire to
the switch had no current but now it does.
Old 07-21-19, 04:55 PM
MrJason
Lead Lap

Seems like area was wet and now dried out as all is working again. I believe it all started with rain not draining properly from sunroof. That’s why drivers side rug was wet. I think a connection must have been wet in the kick panel area. Also
ver important was that the wire to
the switch had no current but now it does.

The wire gets current from a 12v supply and the door latch makes the decision on wether the door is open or closed if it sees that 12v nav or not.

Id check the wires in the loom between the door and body... they are known to break or tear.

But that sunroof leak needs to be addressed... sooner than later.
Old 07-21-19, 06:39 PM
Puglisione
Driver School Candidate

Default Mr Jason

Thanks for the reply. So do you know exactly where the wire from the door switch comes from. I believe that’s where the water that cane in must have shorted something. There are a bunch of connections to the left of my foot on druvers side. I believe this is what was wet.
i also blew out all 4 drains from sunroof. And they are flowing well