GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

G (Up&Down) Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-19, 07:08 AM
gwebster
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default G (Up&Down) Sensor

Does anyone know how the G Sensors identified in the Air Suspension tab of Techstream interact with the air suspension? There are 3 sensors identified and the one identified as Front Right is always significantly lower than front left and the rear sensor on my GX470. I have read that G Sensors interact with skid control, but I am wondering if it is used to send info to rear air suspension or the AVS shocks. I still have factory air and shock setup, but the ride quality seems to vary every time when I’m the vehicle and I am wondering if It is related to G sensors. I already replaced height control sensors, shocks, and air bags. Any info on this subject would be appreciated!
Old 08-23-19, 04:00 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 744 Likes on 608 Posts

I doubt they interact with the air suspension. There is no left/right front/back suspension compensation like there would be on a Mercedes Active Body Control system. (recall that the GX is, at it's heart, a truck)

They will send data to the stability system and airbag controller (rollover detection, imminent crash detection).

Chip H.
Old 08-23-19, 04:06 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 744 Likes on 608 Posts

Because they're too good not to share. Mercedes' ad for their Magic Body Control, followed by Jaguar's response.

Chip H.

The following users liked this post:
Lextazy (08-28-19)
Old 08-26-19, 04:02 PM
gwebster
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chiph9
I doubt they interact with the air suspension. There is no left/right front/back suspension compensation like there would be on a Mercedes Active Body Control system. (recall that the GX is, at it's heart, a truck)

They will send data to the stability system and airbag controller (rollover detection, imminent crash detection).

Chip H.
Thanks for the response Chip. I just noticed in techstream that under the “Air Suspension” tab that it says “this ECU controls suspension and absorber actuators based on wheel speed, steering wheel rotation, and G Force. It makes it sound as if there is some interaction- Maybe it communicates with the AVS? I noticed the damper values change constantly while driving, but it is not clear to me what information is used to make the adjustments. If anyone else has techstream I would be curious to know if your GForce readings are aligned when the vehicle is level.