GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

bad airbags & struts - options?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-19 | 07:57 AM
jpgreco1
Driver School Candidate

Default bad airbags & struts - options?

So noticed my ride being a bit bouncy, but most of all, swaying side to side.. most noticeable at high speed highway driving, when switching lanes, the rear feels like it has a mind of its own.
My air compressor works, vehicle goes up and down to proper heights... i dont think i have a leak, but not positive.

My independent mechanic failed to find anything wrong, so not being confident in him, brought it to Lexus for a diagnosis.

They told me air bags were bad and rear struts were bad. Quoted me:
Rear suspension air bags est:$698.00 +tax each
Rear struts est:$1,066.00 +tax each

Thought this was absurd.

What are my options for conversion AND taking care of the struts?
I don't off road, truck spends 80% of its life on the highway doing 80. I'd prefer a setup that would give me the best drive for that.

Thanks!

James

Old 10-01-19 | 12:23 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Rear coil conversion requires a conversion kit (SSO, Metaltech, Dobinsons, etc), upper spring isolators (OEM Toyota), and rear springs for parts.

I installed Dobinsons 1.5"F/1" rear springs, and twin tube shocks/struts with "comfort valved" rear shocks, and I'm super happy with the results. Dobinsons offers a myriad of options for springs so you could stay stock height, level the front, or lift the whole thing. The comfort valved rear shocks keep the ride quality equal to or better than stock.

I worked with Kyle Fogle at Treaty Oak Offroad via facebook messenger (he's a member of most GX related groups on FB), he was great about going through the options and finding the parts to get me to my goal. Parts were much cheaper than you're being quoted, I did the install myself.
Old 10-01-19 | 12:33 PM
dasgroup
Pit Crew

I got a set of springs and shocks from Suncoast. Biggest issues was car was down until parts arrived, which is the biggest problem when the rears fail. Not always much notice. Turns out it was a broken ride height sensor so I didn't need them. On a shelf waiting for when I do.
Old 10-02-19 | 06:51 AM
dblshock
Driver

you can replace all 4 OEM shocks and both bags for less than $2k, look in ebay.
Old 10-02-19 | 10:06 AM
punklexus
Driver

Originally Posted by IanB2
Rear coil conversion requires a conversion kit (SSO, Metaltech, Dobinsons, etc), upper spring isolators (OEM Toyota), and rear springs for parts.

I installed Dobinsons 1.5"F/1" rear springs, and twin tube shocks/struts with "comfort valved" rear shocks, and I'm super happy with the results. Dobinsons offers a myriad of options for springs so you could stay stock height, level the front, or lift the whole thing. The comfort valved rear shocks keep the ride quality equal to or better than stock.

I worked with Kyle Fogle at Treaty Oak Offroad via facebook messenger (he's a member of most GX related groups on FB), he was great about going through the options and finding the parts to get me to my goal. Parts were much cheaper than you're being quoted, I did the install myself.
How much did you end up paying for the dobinson kit ?
Old 10-11-19 | 06:33 AM
punklexus
Driver

I went with a kit off eBay and so far happy with the results. Rear is normal but the front is 2" high which I plan to fix it by installing a spacer or changing shocks. Kit was around $200
Old 10-11-19 | 07:15 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by punklexus
How much did you end up paying for the dobinson kit ?
Looks like I paid $1050US shipped to the border for springs and shocks (fronts pre-assembled), I believe prices on Dobinsons have gone up a bit across the board since.
Old 10-11-19 | 07:15 AM
MidniteGX
Pit Crew

I bought a set of 2 OEM air springs (air bags) on Amazon for $188 and an air hose connector removal tool for $15.
I like the idea of the air springs firming up when the truck is heavily loaded in the back. Regular springs are a good idea too for low maintenance but they don’t offer the same height sensing option.