GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Flat Towing GX 470 w/Ready Brake

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-19, 09:59 AM
jortucson
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat Towing GX 470 w/Ready Brake

I have towed Subarus and Jeeps behind my motorhome. I've got an opportunity to pick up an 04 GX 470. I have been advised that notwithstanding Lexus's recommendation, the 470 is fine for flat towing. On my other tow vehicles I have been using a ReadyBrake supplemental brake system (surge brake). Anyone happen to be towing with this setup? Thanks.
jor
Old 11-07-19, 06:46 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 752 Likes on 616 Posts

I have read that on irv2 but no one has come back and said "my fluids and gears still look good after X thousand miles"

Chip H.
Old 12-31-19, 07:58 PM
jortucson
Driver School Candidate

I bought the 470 and am going to rig it for towing. I think it'll be a great toad. I've done some research on how to rig the ReadyBrake and have a plan now that I understand how the 470's brake booster works. I haven't had a Lexus or Toyota toad before so I am sure I'll be taking advantage of this knowledgeable group.
jor
Old 12-31-19, 08:12 PM
newbiegx
Driver School Candidate

I have a GX 470 and was advised not to flat tow it. It bummed me out because it seemed like a perfect rig and I didn't want to be the guinea pig and try it, so I bought a Jeep for flat towing and the GX for boat towing.

Let me know if someone has done this for many miles with no adverse effects.
Old 01-01-20, 05:12 AM
jortucson
Driver School Candidate

Let me know if someone has done this for many miles with no adverse effects.
Sent you a PM.
jor
Old 02-01-21, 07:45 AM
tompurdyss
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GX 470 Ready Brake question

I am setting up my GX470 for flat towing using the Ready Brake system. Can you tell me where you drilled your hole for the cable to pass through the firewall? It seems there’s room to do it without hitting an obstruction on the engine side, but I thought I’d check to see what your placement is and if it has worked. Any other info on towing the GX470 is welcome, too. I don’t leave on my trip for awhile and I have time to make adjustments. One question is how you connected to lights and if you used the 12v coming off the motorhome to trickle charge the battery. Does it even need that?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Originally Posted by jortucson
I have towed Subarus and Jeeps behind my motorhome. I've got an opportunity to pick up an 04 GX 470. I have been advised that notwithstanding Lexus's recommendation, the 470 is fine for flat towing. On my other tow vehicles I have been using a ReadyBrake supplemental brake system (surge brake). Anyone happen to be towing with this setup? Thanks.
jor
Old 02-03-21, 07:50 AM
folivier
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm towing my 2006 GX470 right now, or at least in a few minutes, behind my motorhome using a ReadyBrute towbar with their Readybrake. I have a Blueox towbar on my GX. I have a dummy key (without chip) that I use after I put the transfer case in neutral. I leave the key in ACC with the dummy key and have a charge cable from the motorhome to the GX using a 15amp breaker and Toad Charge module then connected to the battery.
I don't do anything to the brakes since the ReadyBrake is proportional and I do check my brake temperatures with an IR gun at each stop.
Note: this is my first trip towing the GX but I've been using the ReadyBrake system for about 10 years now.
It's important to make sure the towbar is within a couple inches of being level. PM me for a possible solution if you have a lift.
For lights I replaced the bottom light on each side with a socket with a pigtail that is connected to a set of wires that I ran inside the frame to the front. That way they are not connected to the GX electrical system and work from the motorhome. And the top turn signals and middle brake/turn lights work as intended.

Last edited by folivier; 02-03-21 at 07:52 AM. Reason: added info
The following users liked this post:
chiph9 (02-03-21)
Old 02-03-21, 09:34 AM
tompurdyss
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks

Thank you. I like the separate bulb idea and will see about getting that wired up; it sounds a lot less invasive than diodes. This is going to be for a sabbatical trip that is three months long, but I'm renting a motorhome and won't need the lighting to be permanent. I have see the charge kit on etrailer and will get one of those. My GX is not lifted, so it should be close to level, although I'll be getting a measurement on the hitch height a couple months out so I can be prepared. I have hitches that should allow me to adjust up or down a little bit.

I have installed the Roadmaster base plates and have a Loadmaster quick release bar between them to attach to the Readybrake. I only asked about pumping the brakes because I saw it on another listserv, although I've only seen that one reference to it. Good to know. I was able to drill through the firewall without incident, and the brake cable comes through just below and towards the driver front wheel side. I routed it down the frame and around to the front leaving a fair amount of curve so that it doesn't have too much friction.

Some folks say they leave the key in, but in the off position, after turning it off from ACC or run. It sounds like either will work.

I hope your trip goes well; if you learn anything else, I'd appreciate the heads up. I really appreciate that you responded to this thread! Thanks!

Originally Posted by folivier
I'm towing my 2006 GX470 right now, or at least in a few minutes, behind my motorhome using a ReadyBrute towbar with their Readybrake. I have a Blueox towbar on my GX. I have a dummy key (without chip) that I use after I put the transfer case in neutral. I leave the key in ACC with the dummy key and have a charge cable from the motorhome to the GX using a 15amp breaker and Toad Charge module then connected to the battery.
I don't do anything to the brakes since the ReadyBrake is proportional and I do check my brake temperatures with an IR gun at each stop.
Note: this is my first trip towing the GX but I've been using the ReadyBrake system for about 10 years now.
It's important to make sure the towbar is within a couple inches of being level. PM me for a possible solution if you have a lift.
For lights I replaced the bottom light on each side with a socket with a pigtail that is connected to a set of wires that I ran inside the frame to the front. That way they are not connected to the GX electrical system and work from the motorhome. And the top turn signals and middle brake/turn lights work as intended.
Old 02-05-21, 06:15 AM
folivier
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another tip, if you stop for the night and don't unhook make sure you turn off the key. We dry camped at a museum courtesy of Harvest Hosts and woke up to a dead battery. Apparently my motorhome won't charge the toad battery once I shut down the engine.
The following users liked this post:
tompurdyss (02-06-21)
Old 06-24-21, 11:34 AM
msmmcreary
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tompurdyss
I am setting up my GX470 for flat towing using the Ready Brake system. Can you tell me where you drilled your hole for the cable to pass through the firewall? It seems there’s room to do it without hitting an obstruction on the engine side, but I thought I’d check to see what your placement is and if it has worked. Any other info on towing the GX470 is welcome, too. I don’t leave on my trip for awhile and I have time to make adjustments. One question is how you connected to lights and if you used the 12v coming off the motorhome to trickle charge the battery. Does it even need that?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

I am setting up my GX470 as a toad also and will be using the Ready Brake. Where did you end up drilling your hole? If you have photo, that would be great.
Thanks