GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Love my GX 470....but

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-03, 01:15 PM
mchippo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Love my GX 470....but

Just wondering what others think here...

I own a Sand Dollar Pearl GX 470 and I am generally very pleased with it. However, I have a few pet peeves and I was wondering what others think....

Here is my David Letterman Top 10 list of Rants on my GX470 (in no particular order):

1) What is with the outside temp monitor? It seems to record the temperature the last time the vehicle was running. It does not record an accurate current temperature until the vehicle has been running about 15 minutes. On my 20 minute drive to work, I hardly ever get an accurate reading.

2) I am very disappointed with the amount of storage space in the driver/passenger cabin. The glove box is practically useless with the Mark Levinson 6-CD Changer. Also, why not offer a coin tray or deep storage tray instead of the Ash Try / Cigarette Lighter combo.

3) Why not offer the same power seat options for the passenger as is offered for the driver? The passenger seat has limited adjustment options. That kinda sucks on a $50K vehicle.

4) Why must I always be warned about using the Navigation System while driving AND choosing between English and French everytime I start the vehicle? Has anyone figured out how to override this? Also, when the passenger seat is occupied, you should be allowed to program in addresses and destinations. It is annoying as heck having to pull off the road and stop the vehicle to type in a location and request directions.

5) This vehicle should have had duel exhaust. It has a great sound when you "step on it." Come on Lexus...give the vehicle a masculine deep purr with dual exhaust.

6) The arm rests on the driver and passenger seats are way undersized. My arm keeps falling off.

7) The steering wheel stereo system controls are too dim at night. Anybody figure out how to turn the lights up?

8) Why didn't Lexus provide the driver with controls for the rear air conditioner. The only controls are located on the center storage console and are only accessable to passengers in the middle seat. Why?

9) Tailgate door should have been a drop gate with lift window. The right hand hinged swing door prohibites you from hauling items that need to hang out the back of the vehicle a foot or two.

10) Lexus should have offered a one touch door unlock for all doors. It is annoying having to double unlock every single time you want to open a rear or passenger door.

OKay....I am done ranting. I would love to hear what other folks think...

Thanks, MCHippo
Old 08-24-03, 02:54 PM
brent0226
Driver

Default Re: Love my GX 470....but

#3 is the one I hate most... I can't stand the passenger seat. I like the front of the cushion to be all the way up.. not flat or sloped down... it's very uncomfortable for me. My Jetta even has 8 way power seats on both sides.
Old 08-25-03, 08:40 AM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Love my GX 470....but

Originally posted by mchippo
Just wondering what others think here...

1) What is with the outside temp monitor? It seems to record the temperature the last time the vehicle was running. It does not record an accurate current temperature until the vehicle has been running about 15 minutes. On my 20 minute drive to work, I hardly ever get an accurate reading.

some people are having aproblem with this.. mine worked fine.. and was accurage

2) I am very disappointed with the amount of storage space in the driver/passenger cabin. The glove box is practically useless with the Mark Levinson 6-CD Changer. Also, why not offer a coin tray or deep storage tray instead of the Ash Try / Cigarette Lighter combo.

ok thats fine but i love the changer more then a slow slot load and would be glad to give up the space..
what all do you put in your truck anyways.. theres the whole back seat

3) Why not offer the same power seat options for the passenger as is offered for the driver? The passenger seat has limited adjustment options. That kinda sucks on a $50K vehicle.

4) Why must I always be warned about using the Navigation System while driving AND choosing between English and French everytime I start the vehicle? Has anyone figured out how to override this? Also, when the passenger seat is occupied, you should be allowed to program in addresses and destinations. It is annoying as heck having to pull off the road and stop the vehicle to type in a location and request directions.

i wish this was true.. but its still a libility... ohh and you can get the people in the back to control nav while the vehicle is in motion

5) This vehicle should have had duel exhaust. It has a great sound when you "step on it." Come on Lexus...give the vehicle a masculine deep purr with dual exhaust.

i fully agree!! add chrome exhoust tips too

6) The arm rests on the driver and passenger seats are way undersized. My arm keeps falling off.

here bigger is allways better.. but my arm never fell off

7) The steering wheel stereo system controls are too dim at night. Anybody figure out how to turn the lights up?

nope the lights can not be turned up

8) Why didn't Lexus provide the driver with controls for the rear air conditioner. The only controls are located on the center storage console and are only accessable to passengers in the middle seat. Why?

no idea

9) Tailgate door should have been a drop gate with lift window. The right hand hinged swing door prohibites you from hauling items that need to hang out the back of the vehicle a foot or two.

i agree but you get used to the back so ohh well

10) Lexus should have offered a one touch door unlock for all doors. It is annoying having to double unlock every single time you want to open a rear or passenger door.

you can change it .. take it to your dealer and tell em you want to cahnge it you may beabel to do it your
self search the gx forum for locking i know i changed mien to unlock doors when you put the vehicle in park

OKay....I am done ranting. I would love to hear what other folks think...

as am i ... i tried to reply to all your rants

Last edited by Kash; 08-25-03 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-26-03, 06:37 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

for #5, Lexus doesn't want anymore sound coming from the exhaust because they are know to be quiet vehicles. As for the power seats for the passenger, same here too.