GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 Rims & Tires - Lets upgrade!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-19, 09:00 AM
Chickem
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question GX470 Rims & Tires - Lets upgrade!

I know there have been a few post already and I apologize if this is redundant but looking for some guidance here. Just bought the 2006 GX470 shown below. It's covered in frost in case you are wondering, getting cold in the midwest.. It's a gift for my Fiance and the rims have oxidized. Looking to upgrade and move it from a soccer mom vehicle to a smokin hot soccer mom ride haha.

I like the following:
Rims - PTR2035110BK - https://parts.toyota.com/p/Toyota__/...2035110BK.html
BFGoodrich ALL-TERRAIN T/A KO2 - SIZE: LT265/70R17 - https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...um=67SR7KO2RWL

I saw this setup on another forum @MTD1 but was mentioned that the rims were a 0mm offset and these PTR2035110BK I've list show a 4mm offset..

I will not be lifting, leaving stock.
Any risk of tire rub?
Should I expect higher amounts of road noise?
Any combos you think are a better fit? PTR2035110GR with this color GX?
Tires you would recommend over these?
Like the black and the offroad look of that tire but were 90% on-road 10% off-road
I also like OEM

Any and all feedback welcomed. I'll upload final project after also. In the detail shop right now.

Last edited by Chickem; 12-09-19 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Updated info
Old 12-09-19, 10:00 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 270 Likes on 236 Posts

Since you're not planning on lifting the truck I take it you're not planning to truly go offroad. By that I mean crawling over rocks and pushing your truck hard, not just going on gravel roads and in light mud. Offroad tires are significantly louder and the ride will be much bumpier and harsher than tires meant for the highway use, not to mention further reducing gas mileage. I have a set of offroad tires on the factory wheels and a set of Dunlops like on your truck already on some 4runner TRD offroad rims. The offroad tires are very uncomfortable by comparison when driving on the road and my wife doesn't like them. If it were me I would just keep the tires that are already on the truck and put them on your new rims. In your case it sounds like K02s are overkill for zero benefit. There are lots of other things you could spend that $800 on to improve the truck in a more meaningful way for day to say use.
Old 12-09-19, 10:05 AM
Chickem
Driver School Candidate

Correct, not truly going off-road. I will beat up the older RX300 off road now that we are moving to this. I do however need to buy new tires, the ones on the vehicle are shot. So sticking with those rims, any recommendations on some tires? I like the look of the All terrain tire, that was only reason for considering. Comfortable ride is extremely important. Just wondering if highway tires would look a bit weak on the off road rims?
Old 12-09-19, 10:06 AM
Chickem
Driver School Candidate

And what were you thinking for other improvements within the $800 price range if it's a clean vehicle already?
Old 12-09-19, 11:00 AM
captainva
Instructor

Yes if its about looks then offroad tires are going to look better no matter what. You're going to trade off a lot of ride comfort and increased noise for the look though in my experience. As far as mods, upgrading the headlights would make a huge difference in seeing at night. Since its an 06 adding Bluetooth so that your wife can listen to music and can take calls would also be worthwhile because theres not even an aux in so its CD and radio only. Weather tech trunk/floor mats or something similar so that you can throw whatever in the trunk and you don't need to worry about dirt or mud in the winter. Timing belt if that hasn't been done is also a pricey repair and will grenade your engine if it snaps. There are lots of other things that you could do but its up to you personally and what your needs are
Old 12-09-19, 11:22 AM
Chickem
Driver School Candidate

Appreciate the feedback. I'll probably stick with the rims either black or gun metal and just find some decent looking road tires. The 06 does comes with the bluetooth. I think it was 05 they started becoming standard. Fortunately the timing belt was already done along with new breaks and all maintained at the dealership.

I like the headlight idea, haven't driven it at night yet so I'll have to find out on that one. And of course weather tech is the best.

It's more so what can I get done before christmas without getting too carried away. Wheels/tires are a must, the rest I can upgrade as I go. I still not make sure that those rise with the offset and moving to a 265/70/17 vs 265/65/17 will not rub.
Old 12-09-19, 12:47 PM
captainva
Instructor

I didn't know that the 06 had bluetooth but the factory Lexus bluetooth is for phone calls only so you can't play music through it unless someone already upgraded it just FYI. I have 265/70/17 on my car right now with zero issues so you can definitely go a size up. That will help fill out the wheel wells a little bit better which should help the looks. One other option for that is to look for people who bought a 4runner and then bought new wheels. I got a set of 5 with the TRD offroad wheels for $750 with 80 miles on the wheels and tires in 265/70/17. Also removing the running boards will make it look much less like a soccer mom vehicle if thats what you're going for. Both my wife and I are tall so we actually think its easier to get into now but YMMV for shorter people and kids will definitely struggle
The following users liked this post:
IanB2 (12-09-19)
Old 12-09-19, 01:08 PM
Chickem
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Muffinizer
I didn't know that the 06 had bluetooth but the factory Lexus bluetooth is for phone calls only so you can't play music through it unless someone already upgraded it just FYI. I have 265/70/17 on my car right now with zero issues so you can definitely go a size up. That will help fill out the wheel wells a little bit better which should help the looks. One other option for that is to look for people who bought a 4runner and then bought new wheels. I got a set of 5 with the TRD offroad wheels for $750 with 80 miles on the wheels and tires in 265/70/17. Also removing the running boards will make it look much less like a soccer mom vehicle if thats what you're going for. Both my wife and I are tall so we actually think its easier to get into now but YMMV for shorter people and kids will definitely struggle

Right on, thanks for the info. I started looking around for a full set and no luck yet but good to know. You're probably right on the Bluetooth. I'll check it out when it gets back from detail. Think I'm going to head the grey/gunmetal route.

Old 12-09-19, 04:08 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,028 Likes on 686 Posts

TRD wheels look great ... but many are only 7-inches wide ... way too narrow in my opinion ... 7.5-inches is the minimum I would run on the GX470 ... with 8-inches being perfect for 265 tires. With 7-inch wheels, there is too much sidewall bulge ... great for extra wheel protection when bouncing off of boulders, but for on-road handling ... the steering response will be somewhat vague in comparison to running the standard GX470 7.5-inch wheel width.

Also, if fronting cash for new rims ... going with an 8-inch wide wheel and bumping the wheel (offset) outboard 8-10mm will just place the edge of the tire tread in vertical alignment with the edge of the fender flare for a more commanding and planted stance. IMHO ... inboard from this reference = "Soccer Mom Stance" ... Outboard from this reference = "Redneck Stance"

I had TRD wheels delivered on my FJ Cruiser ... loved the design but could not live with the 7-inch width and typical Toyota (way too) inboard offset.

Last edited by ASE; 12-09-19 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-09-19, 06:44 PM
RockfordRX
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Chickem,
As a fellow Illinoisan, Welcome on board, sir!
If cash is not a factor, definitely go for the TRD wheels! Look for 8" width instead of 7" shown above. If you're looking for more practical mods, I'd definitely invest in top notch tires and get your stock rims powder coated in gunmetal gray metallic (like the Sport edition GXs with KDSS and 2008-2009 stock color wheels). I bought a set of new Michelin Defender LTX for $800 out the door from Sams club during black Friday sale last year. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...0&autoModClar=
I am extremely happy with the ride and performance of these tires. Smooth, quiet, grippy and competent on any surface! It is definitely not a winter tire traction good, so I bought a set of Blizzaks from my buddy and currently shopping for a set of wheels (have been looking to get the TRDs and put summer tires on them and use stock wheels for the winter set).
Also, do consider if you want to delete your TPMS or invest into a fresh set of TPMS when you're getting new tires, otherwise your factory TPMSs are at the end of their battery life. I think you can get them from Lexus $96 each or $45 from knock off brands.
My vote is for keeping stock wheels (but refinish them just prior to getting new tires, so you can save on mounting/dismounting costs) and get good quality all season tire (Michelin Defender LTX, Coopers, Goodyears, Dunlops). I would steer clear from BFGs if you're not driving on gravel, sand, mud, etc. The looks are not worth the sacrifice of the smooth ride these trucks are famous for! It's up to you! Better yet, test drive a car that has BFGs mounted, including Jeeps, 4Runners, FJ Cruisers, Tahoes, Tundras, Sequoias, Tacomas and misc pickups to see for yourself. If you still like the look and don't mind the noise, go for it, but you've been warned, lol!

Keep us posted on you progress!

Max

Last edited by RockfordRX; 12-09-19 at 06:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jrubio0825 (01-16-24)
Old 12-09-19, 07:54 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 523 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by Chickem
I know there have been a few post already and I apologize if this is redundant but looking for some guidance here. Just bought the 2006 GX470 shown below. It's covered in frost in case you are wondering, getting cold in the midwest.. It's a gift for my Fiance and the rims have oxidized. Looking to upgrade and move it from a soccer mom vehicle to a smokin hot soccer mom ride haha.

I like the following:
Rims - PTR2035110BK - https://parts.toyota.com/p/Toyota__/...2035110BK.html
BFGoodrich ALL-TERRAIN T/A KO2 - SIZE: LT265/70R17 - https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...um=67SR7KO2RWL

I saw this setup on another forum @MTD1 but was mentioned that the rims were a 0mm offset and these PTR2035110BK I've list show a 4mm offset..

I will not be lifting, leaving stock.
Any risk of tire rub?
Should I expect higher amounts of road noise?
Any combos you think are a better fit? PTR2035110GR with this color GX?
Tires you would recommend over these?
Like the black and the offroad look of that tire but were 90% on-road 10% off-road
I also like OEM

Any and all feedback welcomed. I'll upload final project after also. In the detail shop right now.

Is that...grey w/ frost? That would be a super rare and awesome color if so!

As other have said, the Toyota TRD wheels you like are only 7" wide. Good news is that style is available aftermarket: https://www.fnwheels.com/tag/fx-pro/

This is destined to be a mall crawler, kid mover, but you still want it to look cool. I think you should be using an AT tire as there is just no highway oriented tires that look the part. You're in IL so I assume you get a real deal winter there? And you aren't running winter tires? You should look at the KO2's you've mentioned, Goodyear Duratracs, or the Falken Wildpeak AT3's, all "severe winter rated" AT tires. Get the lightest sidewall available in your chosen size, as they will be lighter, ride smoother, and be cheaper to buy.

To this point, my wife is in a 5th gen 4Runner Ltd. that I'm running 255/75/17 Duratracs on, in an SL load rating (P-rated). I was worried the lighter, taller sidewalls would be squirmy through corners, or that the narrower tires wouldn't be as good in the winter, but neither have proven to be the case. They have been great and I'd put the SL sidewalls on anything that wasn't going to see any offroad use without hesitation. They measure out to be a TRUE 32" tire, rather than rounding up, so just a bit taller than the 265/70/17's, but should still fit on a stock suspension truck with no rubbing. I'm running 265/65/17 C load Duratracs on my GX470 as well, so I'm able to assess the size's performance pretty nicely, and it is equal to or better than in terms of traction, braking, and breakaway control. I'm not sure if the other brands are available in this size and load combo.

If I had a new GX and wanted to improve it, I'd spend my money on a good set of floor mats (Weathertech or maybe Husky if they looked good), HID low beams (Xenon Depot, 4300K, Xtreme kit), tires (wheels too, but definitely tires), and hopefully yours is non-nav so you can easily upgrade to a modern head unit for hands free calling, carplay/android auto, streaming, navigation, etc. And maintenance, change all the fluids, sparkplugs, filters, check belts.
Old 12-09-19, 08:06 PM
JRT3
Driver

Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts

Watching this thread, just joined and seeking changes as well. Rims from Stealth (SCS) and Relation Race Wheels are looking solid.

Thanks for the tips thus far!
Old 12-21-19, 04:15 AM
ShellyGX
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

We changed to new rims for the summer but needed to take them off for winter...

What we did was find a powder coater locally and they sand blasted and repainted the stock rims so they look new. And we use those new looking stock ones for winter driving so the salt doesn't mess up the new ones. We are a state with heavy winter salt use for the roads.

If all you need is new looking stock rims could just have the powder coating guy refurb them. I think it was $50 per wheel so much less than new rims.
Old 12-21-19, 07:45 AM
dblshock
Driver

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

premium tire thread
Old 12-21-19, 08:44 AM
Chickem
Driver School Candidate

Default Finished the project, check it out!

First off, fiance loved the gift and thinks it badass 👍

Decided to go with the following
Method MR312 matte black Rims 17x8.5
Falken atw3 265/65/17
New TPMS sensors
New exhaust and muffler with added chrome tip
​​​Weathertech floor mats
Major detail included engine bay
Had a new spare tire hoist installed - old one froze up and rusted
Results
Badass looking fully loaded 2006 GX470 Ash Blue Mica in color.
​​112k miles and looks brand freaking new inside and out.
All done for about $10,500 including purchase of vehicle
Got a smoking deal on it and price matched the hell out of discount tire.

Notes
Falken all terrains are very smooth for all terrain tires with almost not road noise. Very happy with these. Lexus luxury feel with that offroad added look. I also did some really high g force turns to test them out and they can grip. I literally tried breaking them loose in a parking lot and they held strong.
I liked the look of the 265/70/17s better. They were originally on the vehicle and rubbed. Had to go down to the 265/65/17 unless I want to cut and bump which as mentioned before I wanted to keep stock.
While discount is a pain to work with so am I and they worked with me on everything.
The smaller Falkens actually have a higher weight rating of 116t also which is nice since I plan on getting some toys to haul. That tire also fit as a full spare on the new hoist.

While I really liked the TRD rims I saw them on a similar suv and decided they don't hold in a drop in the bucket compared to how these method rims turned out in my opinion.

Next is some small upgrades. Has Bluetooth for calls on the 2006 but going to upgrade to add audio. Haven't even driven it at night since I got it done just in time to hide it yesterday. If the lights aren't scorching bright I'll upgrade and be looking for the best option on that.

Merry Christmas everyone! Thanks for all the feedback.

The following 2 users liked this post by Chickem:
RockfordRX (12-21-19), tg9266 (03-16-21)

Quick Reply: GX470 Rims & Tires - Lets upgrade!