GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

12 Hole Injector Upgrade Tested!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-20, 10:40 AM
YotaMD
Sponsor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 12 Hole Injector Upgrade Tested!

With the help of the forum ( a fellow enthusiast forum) community, we were finally able to test the 12 hole injector upgrade. See the video below.

I haven't seen this pop up on the GX forum much, but it's hotly debated in the other models that use the same 2UZ.

As far as I can tell we were able to produce the most complete set of data related to this topic to date. I've still got all the logs and dyno charts so we can dive into anything else people want to see in this thread. I'm happy to share the data via Google Drive as well. I'll try to get that setup soon.

HINT: There's a bonus at the end that's going to ruffle some feathers. It relates to engine air filters...

Replace your broken key for the LAST TIME. No cutting. No programming. Indestructible Grade 5 Titanium. Made in the USA.

YotaMD Titanium Reinforced Key Shell for Lexus

Bulk discounting Available.
Fits many Lexus models with 3-button remote keys.
Professionally designed, engineered and fabricated in the USA.
The following 3 users liked this post by YotaMD:
chiph9 (02-25-20), DaveGS4 (02-26-20), IanB2 (02-25-20)
Old 02-25-20, 03:50 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 744 Likes on 608 Posts

SPOILERS AHEAD! Watch the video first!

Super nice test.
I'm not really surprised by the no-difference with the injectors. Especially since the 2UZ is port injected not direct injected (as the tech said - once the mix hits the back of the intake valve, any extra atomization becomes worthless.
I'm actually very surprised that the K&N didn't flow better. It's certainly got a more open weave than paper (..which lets more debris through) so you would intuitively expect it to flow better. I suspect there are other factors limiting flow - like the constriction by the MAF and the throttle.

Chip H.
Old 02-26-20, 06:42 AM
YotaMD
Sponsor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by chiph9
SPOILERS AHEAD! Watch the video first!

Super nice test.
I'm not really surprised by the no-difference with the injectors. Especially since the 2UZ is port injected not direct injected (as the tech said - once the mix hits the back of the intake valve, any extra atomization becomes worthless.
I'm actually very surprised that the K&N didn't flow better. It's certainly got a more open weave than paper (..which lets more debris through) so you would intuitively expect it to flow better. I suspect there are other factors limiting flow - like the constriction by the MAF and the throttle.

Chip H.
Yup, I agree. With direct injection, maybe atomization of the 12 hole would matter more, but I can't see it helping with it's injected upstream of the valve.

The K&N was a shocker. The K&N NEW seemed to flow worse than my OEM paper filter that's old. The dyno operator (owner) was not surprised in the least. Seemed like he'd seen that many times before. He also mentioned how filtration is what really matters and silica contamination in the engine should be a top priority.

Agreed the filter probably isnt the main restriction. If it was, Toyota could have simply made a larger box for the filter. I'm sure it was sized very intently to provide zero/minimal restriction.

Replace your broken key for the LAST TIME. No cutting. No programming. Indestructible Grade 5 Titanium. Made in the USA.

YotaMD Titanium Reinforced Key Shell for Lexus

Bulk discounting Available.
Fits many Lexus models with 3-button remote keys.
Professionally designed, engineered and fabricated in the USA.
Old 02-26-20, 06:56 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Mighty car mods did a test long ago and they showed that the stock airbox was always better unless you modify the engine to make significantly more power than factory. Also pod filters always make less power. This was a great test though and I think everyone appreciates thoroughly researched and vetted content like this. Good work!