GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Bouncy ride

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-20, 05:20 PM
Jackoway
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bouncy ride

I have a 2007 GX with around 250k miles. Without a doubt, it's the best car I've owned. For the last couple of years. My ride gets real bouncy. When I fully inflate the airbags, the ride gets relatively smooth when the height returns to neutral for a couple of days. I have no codes or suspension lights. The bags do not deflate over night if I raise them manually. They do however make a clunking noise as they fill up.

I noticed a leak in my RF shock so I replaced all 4. I've evened the ride height while monitoring my Solus. The ride is unbearable.

Do I need new airbags? Sensors?

Thanks
Old 03-18-20, 06:15 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 147 Posts

Airbags!!!!!
Old 03-19-20, 07:44 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 524 Likes on 436 Posts

Airbag = spring on the rear suspension design of these trucks, if the airbags aren't leaking down, or filling unevenly, I don't think they are your issue. They don't get stiffer as they age, just leak. You say they clunk when they fill up, is this on a cold start (you say they don't leak so they shouldn't have to air up much after sitting overnight), or when you go from N to H ride height, or what exactly? If you got under the truck would you be able to pinpoint where the clunk is coming from?

What did you replace the shocks with? Stiff shocks could absolutely lead to a rough ride. You describe it as bouncy though, which would be when you hit a bump and the truck is taking more than an up and down to bring itself under control again. Can you be more specific as to exactly what the complaint is?
Old 03-19-20, 09:47 AM
Jackoway
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IanB2
Airbag = spring on the rear suspension design of these trucks, if the airbags aren't leaking down, or filling unevenly, I don't think they are your issue. They don't get stiffer as they age, just leak. You say they clunk when they fill up, is this on a cold start (you say they don't leak so they shouldn't have to air up much after sitting overnight), or when you go from N to H ride height, or what exactly? If you got under the truck would you be able to pinpoint where the clunk is coming from?

What did you replace the shocks with? Stiff shocks could absolutely lead to a rough ride. You describe it as bouncy though, which would be when you hit a bump and the truck is taking more than an up and down to bring itself under control again. Can you be more specific as to exactly what the complaint is?
I think being bouncy is a good description. It takes a long time to smooth out after the smallest bump. It rides as if there were no shocks in back. I replaced all four with oem shocks. When it sits over night, it stays inflated until I hit 20mph as designed. It gets bouncy when it goes back to N.

I'm going to try something today. I think my N height is too low. I'm going to raise the ride height.
Old 03-19-20, 11:23 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 524 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackoway
I think being bouncy is a good description. It takes a long time to smooth out after the smallest bump. It rides as if there were no shocks in back. I replaced all four with oem shocks. When it sits over night, it stays inflated until I hit 20mph as designed. It gets bouncy when it goes back to N.

I'm going to try something today. I think my N height is too low. I'm going to raise the ride height.
Ya, that sounds bouncy to me as well then. That's a symptom of blown shocks, give them a good look over for leaking.

N height should have the rear sitting a bit taller than the front (like an inch give or take a bit?), maybe post a pic from the side before you start messing with the rear height settings?