GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Off-road lighting options (pods/bar)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-20, 12:42 AM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 338 Likes on 225 Posts
Default Off-road lighting options (pods/bar)

Hello all. One of the things we do is go off the beaten path and also crawl through the wilderness (maybe eventually overlanding!) but we aren't "off-road" people...yet. And we are also moving out to a very rural area in Texas and then eventually Idaho so, yea, we need some extra lighting options. I like both the light pod idea and led light bars. We never got around to getting any aftermarket lighting on the Grand Cherokee Trailhawk before selling it and I'm pretty much a noob to both terminology and what companies are considered quality and who are considered cheap crap. So without sounding like a dumbass I'll hope you all will go easy on me on this and everything else off-road related going forward.

I like these, what do you all think and or do you have any other suggestions for me to consider?

Light pods:
Amazon Amazon

Light pod brackets:
https://cbioffroadfab.com/product/le...ight-brackets/

As for the light bar, I have absolutely no idea how to accomplish this as I'm completely new to the GX family (Toyota in general actually). I already had picked out what to do with the Grand Cherokee, it was pretty easy to get one in the lower grille but that's useless information to me now. I suppose a bull bar is in order here to make things a bit easier (plus would be nice to have one), but not sure if there are any beyond those small generic ones I see on google. You know, the cheap "universal" ones that are crap.

Does something like this exist for the GX470? I don't want to replace the front bumper and I don't want to block the headlights so I'm guessing my options are limited... Looking forward to hearing your suggestions and such.

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/attac..._taco_002-jpg?
Old 03-23-20, 07:47 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 523 Likes on 435 Posts

The plastic bumper makes mounting aux lights tricky on these trucks. The most effective solutions I've seen have been adding lights in beside the fogs, or removing the fogs and mounting pods in the holes (looks better on dark colored trucks IMO).

I recently saw a guy add 2x2 pods just behind the grilles beside the fog lights, and I think this is what I'm going to try and do as well.

This was the only pic I could find right now, gives you an idea of what's possible anyway.

The following users liked this post:
MrTorgue (03-23-20)
Old 03-23-20, 07:14 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 338 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by IanB2
The plastic bumper makes mounting aux lights tricky on these trucks. The most effective solutions I've seen have been adding lights in beside the fogs, or removing the fogs and mounting pods in the holes (looks better on dark colored trucks IMO).

I recently saw a guy add 2x2 pods just behind the grilles beside the fog lights, and I think this is what I'm going to try and do as well.

This was the only pic I could find right now, gives you an idea of what's possible anyway.
Interesting idea. Do those lower grille holes next to the fog lights have any purpose? Do they aid in cooling something? I’d hate to block those off if they are functional.

Also does the garage door programmable buttons in the overhead console play nice with those remote switch controllers like this:

Pilot Performance Lighting PL-SW29 4 Channel Wireless Remote Switch
Amazon Amazon

-

The Jeep’s did and that’s how I was gonna do the switch part at least.